Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene Is Headed For The East Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    True, McJag. We have a second floor and I hope they'll all go up there in case. I live 3 blocks from the beach and our streets can get flooded in a heavy rainstorm, which I hope is all that happens this weekend. But I can't help but worry it'll be more than that.
    They are saying water not wind will be the biggie.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I was wondering where everyone was. It just started here. Wind and buckets of rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I was wondering where everyone was. It just started here. Wind and buckets of rain.
    You only have 10 hours to go.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I can't complain, I didn't have to evacuate and bought everything I thought I'd need. I cooked two meals, watching old movies, catching up on soaps and watching Lynnie flirt with Alec Baldwin on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I can't complain, I didn't have to evacuate and bought everything I thought I'd need. I cooked two meals, watching old movies, catching up on soaps and watching Lynnie flirt with Alec Baldwin on twitter.
    Do you have flashlights? Electricity might have to be shut down even if it doesn't go out on its own.
    And how high up are you? The mayor was saying some buildings would not be able to get water above the first few floors. Run some in your bathtub for flushing toilets in case.

Bronze Member

Still heavy rain, some wind, not much of anything else. I'm hoping it won't be too bad here. Our apartment has 12 windows that are 3 feet wide by 7 or 8 feet tall (We have 11 ft ceilings). It's an old, super sturdy building though...and we're on the 4th floor (out of 6). It is times like this when I'm glad I'm doing the whole "mid-twenties artist/freelancer living in Manhattan so I'll split a place with roommates" thing. It's not scary out yet, but from what I'm seeing from people who are experiencing it before it gets here...glad I'm not home alone.

Bronze Member

COuldn't figure out how to just post the picture, but this is hysterical (and so true)! The difference between hurricane prep in NYC and...well, anywhere else:

http://thedailywh.at/2011/08/25/info...of-the-day-24/
    Last edited by colormyworld; August 28th, 2011 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    They are saying water not wind will be the biggie.
    We're at the same level as the beach, which has flooded the streets before, so that combined with heavy rains can't be good.

The 10 best videos of reporters being blown away by hurricanes. The first one is awesome just because Geraldo Rivera slips and falls. What a jackass.

The 10 Best Videos of Reporters Being Blown Away by Hurricanes
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I'm enjoying these Angelais. Oh Geraldo. I remember when he made the switch. Dr. Drew, the new Geraldo Rivera. Never thought it would happen.

I'm in Boston. It's raining but not heavily and no wind. I have an 18 mile run tomorrow, I can't miss it!

MYFOXNY.COM - A local news reporter from Washington, D.C. ended up getting covered in what is probably the remnants of raw sewage as he delivered live hurricane reports from Ocean City, Md.

WTTG-TV reporter Tucker Barnes was providing live updates for stations around the country as a wall of what he described as sea foam poured over him.

Barnes was on the boardwalk as Hurricane Irene hit the coast of Maryland
    He noted that he had immersed himself in organic material. That "organic material" was most likely the effects of raw sewage pouring into the water during the storm.

"It doesn't taste great," he said.

He said it had a sandy consistency and added, "I can tell you first-hand, it doesn't smell great."

The foam is often a toxic mix of pollution and cyanobacteria.
    60 mph wind gust sprayed the toxic mix across the reporter and the boardwalk and coated buildings.

Bubbles and foam in the ocean can be caused by several other things, including oils from decomposing animals.

this was absolutely disgusting!! and he's just standing there in it..

Poor Tucker, I'll wager he was enthusiastic to get out there as soon as he saw the foam. "This will make my live report rock! I'll just go get my rain coat and let's make journalistic history!"

He thought it was plankton; do you suppose they've told him it was microbes and (hopefully treated) sewerage? Thanks for the story, Aquarius
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

All is well here outside of Philly. I lost power twice but never for more than 15 minutes. The winds were high and there are lots of trees down. My yard is flooded but my basement is dry because the sump pump worked all night. We are begining to see breaks of sun and they showed a rainbow on the news. There are a few areas that are badly flooded but they are the area that always flood. They are still in for more trouble because the rivers and creeks are still rising. A friends who works with Cape May police called to say my house down there is fine too. Water is in the front yard but not a drop entered the house. Overall - all blessed night for me.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Can someone tell me whether the hurricane is expected to hit Buffalo at all? My US geography skills aren't the best and I didn't understand much from googling. It's upstate New York so it will be in the path, right?
    Buffalo is in the very Western part of the State, so they may get some rain, but possibly nothing at all. I live about 2 hrs east of Buffalo and we may get some rain, but nothing major. So, not to worry about anyone you know in Buffalo.

Hope everyone is doing well...

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information