Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene Is Headed For The East Coast

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    All is well here outside of Philly. I lost power twice but never for more than 15 minutes. The winds were high and there are lots of trees down. My yard is flooded but my basement is dry because the sump pump worked all night. We are begining to see breaks of sun and they showed a rainbow on the news. There are a few areas that are badly flooded but they are the area that always flood. They are still in for more trouble because the rivers and creeks are still rising. A friends who works with Cape May police called to say my house down there is fine too. Water is in the front yard but not a drop entered the house. Overall - all blessed night for me.
    Glad to hear you made it through relatively unscathed so far. Yay!!

And we also have two sump pump back ups---one battery and one that actually works on water pressure (in case the battery back up fails). Not expensive and well worth it, especially in situations like this. Haven't had a drop in our basement since we installed em.

All is well here outside of Philly. I lost power twice but never for more than 15 minutes. The winds were high and there are lots of trees down. My yard is flooded but my basement is dry because the sump pump worked all night. We are begining to see breaks of sun and they showed a rainbow on the news. There are a few areas that are badly flooded but they are the area that always flood. They are still in for more trouble because the rivers and creeks are still rising. A friends who works with Cape May police called to say my house down there is fine too. Water is in the front yard but not a drop entered the house. Overall - all blessed night for me.
    That is a mercy!
    Has anyone heard from Bitter or Chalet?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What a night. My family is in Baltimore and my mom is just outside of Ocean City, MD. I was worried about them (having lived through a few hurricanes during my years in Miami Beach). Has Diva been on to check in? She's in Maryland.

Glad everyone is ok!!

Lots of people still without power. I wish they would all check in with us.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gloomy and breezy here. Nothing dramatic at all. We're set to get the tail end of the heavy rain beginning any time now.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I was just in my dorm lounge and the news was on, and they showed the town next to me that we share a beach and road with. The road is absolutely flooded and the huge waves were crashing against the houses. Then they flashed to my hometown, to a road 3 blocks down from my house and it was flooded, but not as badly as my neighboring town.

How are the cats?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I don't know yet, my mom's driving back down from her friend's house today and she'll call me when she gets home. I'm probably working myself up, but I can't help but worry.

Much ado about nothing around here, for the most part. Took the dogs, some clothes and my firebox to my parents last night. Walked the seawall with the dogs about 3am (my parents are on the Long Island Sound), despite some really huge waves (probably 6-8 feet) the neighborhood was pretty dry. There were some sporadic power outages. We had lights but my grandfather across the street lost his and went to his generator.

Came home about 5am to part of the ceiling down in the second bedroom but the roof in the attic intact. The water must be running down the roof through the wall somewhere. Lots of larger branches from our trees down around the yard but no real damage to the house. My MIL said the house was swaying and rocking.

My brother in MD said they had really high wind and ended up with a lot of broken branches but no trees falling on their property, thank God.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    My brother in MD said they had really high wind and ended up with a lot of broken branches but no trees falling on their property, thank God.
    I'm south of Baltimore, but north of DC. My next-door neighbor's tree fell over into another of his trees, and both fell into my lawn - but didn't damage anything. My house apparently didn't lose electricity, and the sump pump kept working, so no basement flooding. I'm still in Tampa, so my FIL/MIL have been sending updates. If you live closer to Baltimore, you are less likely to lose power because BG&E is more reliable than Pepco (which services the DC/northern VA region).

I was worried about a tree in my mom's lawn, but I had just had a tree service cut down four trees and trim another four, and it looks like my timing was perfect. No downed limbs or trees there.

Elite Member

Where I'm visiting (DC) I saw some trees down.

Up in central Mass where I live my husband says they lost power early this morning and might not get it back until tomorrow. I just Amtrak's Northeast Corridor service is restored so I can go back tomorrow.

Anyone near Vermont? My cousin lives there and didn't evacuate and now the roads have washed away, and they are stuck there, and the water is still rising, I'm trying to find emergency numbers and such for them.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I went to bed at 4:30 and woke up at 1. Didn't hear a thing. No drama, have power. I hope everyone is okay. I sound like a spoiled brat.

Glad you are okay sluce. I was up until six this morning, and have slept fitfully throughout the day, obsessing over the news reports of this storm. I'm thinking of going up to 30th Street to look down on the river from the overpass to see how much of that bike trail got flooded out.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Thread Information