Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horrific picture of drowned diver captured in underwater tourist snap

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Horrific picture = band outfit

You big meanie! I thought that was a lovely pic!

*former band geek...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Anybody keeping score of how many people I've inadvertently insulted today?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Can I sue you for that? Youz gotz my feelingz hurtz indirectly.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

no more than i have twitchy

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Can I sue you for that? Youz gotz my feelingz hurtz indirectly.

I currently have $39 in my checking account. You'd need to find a very cheap lawyer!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I'll work for 1.44$, the exact amount in my account
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

LOL, Grimm you're hired! I only have $9 in my account...couldn't pay you more than that.
    We better win for that $39.

Well worth the $39 to see you try, suckas!

I'm going to be suing for my attorney's fees, too.

(*pss Grim, you can charge me more now, if you promise me we'll win)

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Horrific picture = band outfit
    Sorry, but this deserves a

If it happened in 2003 I don't understand why it's news now? Did this photo just get released to the public??? I'm confused.
    The Gen X Eurotrash Jetsetters Club:
    A place for internationally minded celebrity haterz to come together in peace and harmony

No kidding! I mean, I can understand if they weren't aware as they were taking the picture, since if a whole group went down and they were farting around checking out the sites as the husband surfaced and asked for help, but once it was time for everyone to go back to the boat, wouldn't everyone be questioned about what they saw? Maybe they were from a different boat that was in the same area? Seems pretty strange to me.

Elite Member

I think the guy just turned the photo in when he finally realized for the gazillionth time passing over it that he had caught the incident in the background.

The dude probably has picture after picture of him in his scuba gear with other people floating in the background and one day he checks out whats going on around him in the pic.

They probably didnt even think right after the incident "hey, you were taking a photo of me right around then...". Also, it seemed the husband didnt alert anyone as to what was going on. He didnt want anyone to be able to reference the time, circumstances later probably.
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

WHAT IN THE HELL'S EVERLASTING FUCKFEST! The judge (Circuit Court Judge Tommy Nail) let the fucker go?! And the fucker has a new wife?! Tina's poor family, I can't bear the thought of the pain from what this mofo judge has done!

Gabe Watson murder trial thrown out
    By Jill Colgan and staff

A judge in Alabama has cleared American Gabe Watson of murdering his wife on their honeymoon on the Great Barrier Reef in 2003.

Mr Watson was facing a murder charge in the US after already serving 18 months in jail in Australia for the manslaughter of his wife Tina during a scuba dive on their Queensland honeymoon.

The experienced diver has always argued his new wife panicked, but prosecutors in Alabama alleged Mr Watson drowned his wife to collect her life insurance policy.

If found guilty he faced a life sentence in Alabama, on top of the prison time he had already spent in Australia for negligent manslaughter.

However, Circuit Court Judge Tommy Nail today ruled there was insufficient evidence for the case to go to a jury, and acquitted Mr Watson of the charge.

He ruled that evidence of an insurance payout was inadmissible because it was hearsay.

Alabama prosecutor Don Valeska says the case should have gone to the jury.

"I'm sick to my stomach," he told ABC Local Radio Brisbane presenter Steve Austin.

"We presented a prima facie case under the law, and he said we didn't.

"I've just contacted some of the jurors - they have already spoken to the press here and said that if they had had to vote on this case, he would not be leaving the court house."

Mr Valeska says there are no avenues to appeal the decision.

"Where double jeopardy applies like in Australia, he can never be tried again in the state of Alabama or the United States federal system for the death of Tina," he said.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh says Queensland authorities provided all necessary assistance for the US trial.

"Here in Queensland we made every effort to ensure that justice was done," she said.

"When this person was taken to the United States, we provided witnesses to the trial in the United States ... a court and a judge there made a decision. It's not something over which we have any influence.

"We made every effort to make sure that justice was done."

'Distraught'

Mr Valeska says Tina's father, Thommy Thomas, said his only wish was to have the case go before a jury.

"They're sick to their stomach - they're distraught beyond my ability to describe it," Mr Valeska said.

"I don't have the words, the capability, to tell you how upset they are."

He says under Alabama state law and federal law there are no other options to pursue the 34-year-old over the death of his first wife.

A family friend of Tina Thomas, Amanda Phillips, was outside the court.

"He knows how everything happened, he knows how it went down, he knows what was involved, he knows what the intent was, he knows what the feelings were, the motives were," she said.

American ABC journalist Bryant Somerville says Mr Watson seemed very relaxed after the decision.

"Once Judge Nail made the decision to grant the motion for acquittal, there were cheers, very, very brief cheers. There were a lot of sighs of relief," he said.

"As far as Tina's family [goes], there were a couple of people who testified on her behalf that started breaking down and crying in disbelief, very distraught about this ruling."

But Gabe Watson's father says he hopes everyone can heal now.

After a legal battle stretching across two continents and eight years, the prosecutor says the case is now finished, forever.
    source: Gabe Watson murder trial thrown out - World (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Here's the chick who married this evil fucker; what has to happen in your head to make you think you'd want to marry the guy?

Reuters: Marvin Gentry. Gabe Watson, with his new wife Kim, outside the court in Birmingham, Alabama
    source: Gabe Watson new wife in Alabama - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Another article with information on how full of shit Watson's defence was, and how UNBELIEVABLE it is that the judge has let him walk free:

Gabe Watson 'could have pressed button to float Tina to surface' murder trial hears •By Tuck Thompson
    •February 18, 2012

Watson on trial for murdering wife on honeymoon
    Claims if a button was pressed Tina would have surfaced
    Watson's version of events dismissed in court as "nonsense"

Gabe Watson in forground as diver rushes to the bottom where wife Tina lies during their fateful dive off Townsville in 2003.
    source

GABE Watson's diving buddy Michael Moore told a jury today he and Watson practised rescuing distressed and unconscious divers as part of their rescue certification course.

Mr Moore said he and Watson did open water dives in Florida and Mexico together, where they made drift dives in brisk current, dove to a depth of 50 metres and stuggled with visibility of less than a metre.

Watson, a 34-year-old bubble wrap salesman, is accused of murdering his bride of 11 days, Tina Thomas, during a Townsville wreck dive in 2003.

Gabe Watson and his wife Tina, who became his wife for 11 days before drowning on the Gerat Barrier Reef in 2003
    source

Watson's lawyer, Brett Bloomston, claims Watson wasn't experienced enough to cope when his wife panicked.

Prosecutors say Tina was killed in a scheme hatched in Alabama to collect a small fortune in life and travel insurance.

Mr Moore's testimony didn't help the credibility of his childhood friend: Jurors have heard an interview where Watson told Queensland Police he had not been trained to bring anyone to the surface in his rescue course.

Watson had obtained four diving certifications - open water, advanced, rescue and specialty spearfishing - about four years before Tina's fatal dive on the SS Yongala.

Mr Moore said he and Watson did an accelerated course over a full Saturday with dive instructor Tom Jackson in an Alabama quarry learning how to search for missing divers and how to rescue them.

"Tom played the part of a distressed diver, moving his hands panicking and we assisted him,'' he said. "We had to go and get a diver sitting on the bottom and inflate their BC (bouyancy vest) to get them. Gabe and I did it to each other."

Mr Moore also related an open water emergency at a depth of 28 metres when Watson cooly grabbed Mr Moore when he lost half of his weights, preventing possible injury.

Under cross -examination by Mr Bloomston, Mr Moore acknowledged that all of their open water dives were under Mr Jackson's supervision.

Day five of Watson's trial began with more testimony from Dr Doug Milsap, a Florida dentist who the second person to speak to Watson after he exited the water saying his Tina was missing.

Dr Milsap, who has made 800 dives around the world, said Watson told him two versions of Tina's sinking within the span of a minute.

The first version was that everything was fine until Tina suddenly knocked off his mask and regulator. He grabbed her when she started sinking but lost his grip because she was too heavy.

The second was that Watson had a hold of her and was trying to lift her but she was too heavy.

Dr Milsap said both versions were nonsense because divers are essentially weightless under water, and she would have weighed only 10-20 pounds (4.5 to 9kg).

His response rocked Watson back on his heels.

"I got angry - like I feel now - and said, that's bulls**t," he said. "I tend not to have much tact, I tell it like it is.

Alabama Assistant Attorney Don Valeska asked Dr Milsap how many fin kicks would be required to get a diver down 2-3 metres, the distance Watson said he was from a sinking Tina.

"One of two kicks for a strong diver. For a weak diver, two to three," he said.

Dr Milsap said from his experience panicking divers always go to the surface for air.

"Who sinks Dr Milsap?" Mr Valeska asked.

"Dead or unconscious divers," he said.

Dr Milsap said Gabe could have pressed a simple button on Tina's buoyancy vest and the would have immediately surfaced.

Tina was found unconscious on the sea floor by a rescue diver, with her mask on, her air tank nearly full, her regulator in her mouth and a deflated vest.

Watson surfaced and was taken to the catamaran Spoilsport, where he "hung out" with crew, asked for a hug and went to his cabin while his dying wife underwent a 40 minutes resuscitation on an adjacent boat, Jazz II.

Watson only asked to be taken to his wife after she was dead.
    source: Gabe Watson 'could have pressed button to float Tina to surface' murder trial hears | News.com.au

GOD DAMN IT! I cannot imagine how it feels for Tina's family. Nearly all defence teams ask the fucking judge to grant a mistrial once the prosecution rests - Gabriel Watson's story was full of holes and the prosecution was going to drill him on that stand. Judge Tommy Nail decided that the jury didn't have enough to work with, so he allows this fucker to walk free, forever. Fuck that so-called 'honourable' judge - Gabe Watson's bullshit story is enough evidence. I cannot believe this shit!
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Agree - IMO, there was enough evidence to send this guy up for life (I've seen a couple of documentaries on it as well). Unfortunately, the justice system doesn't always do what it's supposed to do. If I were his new wife, I'd take up a different hobby instead of diving.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information