Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Girl in the window: Horrific tale of neglect

Quote Originally Posted by FashionVictim View Post
    Wow, this poor girl but I do feel bad the boy has to sleep in the laundry room.
    Temporary situation. The family moved since the first article.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

What an amazing story. I too am impressed by the huge amount the family have taken on. They have boundless energy from somewhere. I hope the girl will continue to improve.

I agree. I can't wait to read that book. Even after all that her mother put her through, her new family kinda restores some of that faith in humanity.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Elite Member

My biggest wtf is why are the two boys with the biological monster? Because they weren't in a closet? Because they were verbal?

I have serious doubts that she is a fit mother, and they should learn from their mistakes, they could have intervened early on and didn't, why should these boys continue to suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    My biggest wtf is why are the two boys with the biological monster? Because they weren't in a closet? Because they were verbal?

I have serious doubts that she is a fit mother, and they should learn from their mistakes, they could have intervened early on and didn't, why should these boys continue to suffer?
    The article says they're grown men, though one is mentally disabled.

Jeez what a sad and twisted story. I don't know if little Dani will ever be a functioning adult, but at least she's making progress in a loving environment. Let's hope a miracle can happen for her.

A very heartwarming story. But, I don't quite get why they are fostering other kids too. It's a wonderful and noble thing to do, but it seems like they're stretched pretty thin as it is. Hats off to their wonderful hearts, and esp. their son.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Probably because you get money from the state to pay for the kids, so it's an alternate source of income for them, in a way.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Finally just realized what this story kinda reminds me of--Sling Blade. Except Billy Bob's parents in the movie were BETTER than Dani's monster of a mother. WTF at her not being in prison. The fact that she treated her sons differently makes it very clear to me that for some reason she was just a fucking sadist to her daughter, specifically. I have no words harsh enough for her.

I don't know that I ever fully realized before that child development can be so completely thwarted as to make speech no longer even possible. That is such a dreadful crime.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Probably because you get money from the state to pay for the kids, so it's an alternate source of income for them, in a way.
    Or they could have just detected their natural talent of caring for kids. Some people simply are like that.

Bumping the thread to say I just finished reading the book. I had forgotten that I'd preordered it so I got a wee surprise when I switched my kindle on. I finished it in two sittings, and I only took a break because I had to go to work.

Although the book does describe the neglect that Dani was subject to, it really focusses on all the things Dani has accomplished and how well she fits in her new family. According to the book, William was never sleeping in a laundry room, he slept in a downstairs bedroom while his sister and parents were both upstairs. He was a bit freaked out sleeping by himself downstairs so they had walkies in case he wanted his parents. In the book, Diane says she was really angry about that but the article had already been printed by the time she and Bernie got a chance to proof it.

The book was a really good read, I cried a few times but they were happy tears, like when Dani visits the beach for the first time or when William does something sweet for Dani. The story was about William as much as it was Dani, he sounds like a great wee person and a wonderful brother. My hat is off to the Lierows, they seem like a really nice normal family with a huge capacity for love, and Dani appears to be thriving under their care. I'll be interested to see if they do some sort of follow-up in a few years with an update, and if they do I will definitely be buying it.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

That is good to know & things sound much better. Thanks,Karis.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thanks Karis, it's a relief that Willy wasn't in the laundry after all.

My copy still hasn't arrived. *sigh*
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information