Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girl Scouts Allow 7-Year-Old Boy to Join Because He is ‘Living Life as a Girl’

Transgender Bobby Montoya Still Waits for Call From Girl Scouts

By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES | Good Morning America – Thu, Oct 27, 2011 10:34 AM

RELATED CONTENT

• Transgender Bobby Montoya Still Waits for Call From Girl Scouts (ABC News)

Felisha Archuleta, whose son was rejected by a Denver Girl Scout troop because he has "boy parts," said she is still waiting for an official call -- and an apology -- from the Colorado Girl Scouts.
    Archuleta asked a local troop leader if her transgender son could join the Girl Scouts but was initially rejected. Later, a supervisor from the Colorado Girl Scouts acknowledged the Girl Scouts would include the 7-year-old. But Archuleta is still awaiting the final word.
    "They haven't called me directly," said Archuleta. "When I talked to the top [person], I said Bobby wants to be in the Girl Scouts, but have a different leader. She never called me back and only said they would give [the local leader who rejected him] sensitivity classes."
    Bobby Montoya was born with male genitalia but has been convinced since the age of 2 that he is a girl. His biggest worry, said his mother, is that he will have to change his name.
    "I believe he was born in the wrong body," said Archuleta, who admitted that even she has difficulty switching from male to female pronouns when talking about her son.
    "I thought Bobby would grow out of it," she said. "For birthdays, he asked for ponies. He had a princess birthday, and last year when he turned 7, he had a Rapunzel birthday. I have just basically supported him."
    Three weeks ago, Archuleta approached a local Girl Scout leader who only identified herself as "Mary" and asked if Bobby could join the troop. Bobby's mother said the troop leader "humiliated" Bobby, and he dissolved into tears.
    The Girl Scouts of Colorado has said publicly it supports transgender children, and it released a statement this week saying the group is "an inclusive organization."
    The statement, released by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, reads: 'If a child identifies as a girl and the child's family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout."
    The Girl Scouts of Colorado also said in its statement that it is "reaching out to the family of the excluded child and will be altering its training programs so that all girls are supported."
    Archuleta said she still doesn't know what the Girl Scouts intends to do about Bobby and the leader. She also questions why "it's such a big deal.
    "He dresses like a girl, and you can't tell he is a girl?" said his mother. "But the Girl Scout leader told us he can't join because he has 'boy parts.'... But no one would know he's a boy unless they pulled his pants down."
    Archuleta said the troop leader also asked her, "What do you call it, a boy or a girl?" referring to Bobby. "I told her, 'Excuse me?' Then she fixed it and said, 'Bobby. You can see that's a boy's name, and everyone will know he's a boy.'"
    After hearing that exchange, Bobby was "in tears," Archuleta said. "He kept asking, 'Do I have to change my name?' They were only making s'mores! She humiliated him in front of everyone. Actually, I had to stop her in her words. He was standing right there. I told Bobby to go wait in the hallway."
    Bobby has told his mother he believed he was a girl ever since he was very young, said Archuleta. "He just liked girl stuff. When he was 4 or 5, he asked me, 'Why didn't you make me a girl?'"
    Until now, Bobby has dressed as a boy in school, but he wore a dress to school one day and was teased, said Archuleta. Since the confrontation with the Girl Scouts, Bobby has identified and dressed as a girl in public.
    Girl Scouts Waffle on Inclusion Policy

Despite the humiliation, the confrontation seems to have strengthened, not weakened Bobby's sense of sense of self.
    "He told me that since this all happened, 'Mom, you are right. They can't be mean to me. I am a human being like everyone else."
    Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, said she was pleased with the policy of the Girl Scout leadership, "whether it was a change of heart or it just got taken upstairs and they explained the existing policy.
    "These cases should be about the children," said Keisling. "The Girl Scout leader kept saying the 'boy's parts,' and that is not the Girl Scout leader's business and, frankly, not something a Girl Scout leader should have been talking about to a parent or anyone else.
    "One of the things Girls Scouts learn is inclusivity and civility, and I think they smartly realized that they can't be uncivil or exclusionary."
    Kiesling said that age 7 is not too young for Bobby to decide whether he's a girl or a boy. "Who is to decide who is a boy and who is a girl?" she asked. "We see this all the time."
    "I don't think it's such a big deal," said Archuleta. "We don't need therapy. Bobby doesn't need therapy. If Bobby wants to be a girl, that's what we'll do."

Transgender Bobby Montoya Still Waits for Call From Girl Scouts - Yahoo!
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

That scout leader needs stripping of her rank. That is appalling.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    That scout leader needs stripping of her rank. That is appalling.
    Exactly. Bitch needs WAAAY more than Sensitivity Classes....
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

I want to go on record here as someone who was a Girl Scout leader for 12 years. To be a leader you simply take a few classes they provide, pay your annual membership fee and every 2 years pay for a background check. This is a topic that was never discussed at leader training but I'll bet they will from now on. I am pleased they state they are inclusive. There may be an issue when the troop goes camping but it is an issue we faced in my council since we had a few fathers who were Troop leaders too. They simply slept in another tent or cabin - problem solved.

I will also say the program is constantly evolving so that it is not about sewing, crafts and cooking anymore. Our girls spent much of their time focused on career exploration and community service. A few girls from my Troop had an added edge on college applications because they had earned their Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards. These are awards that focus on developing leadership.

I started out as a leader when my daughter was in 1st grade. I expected them to all quit by middle school but they chose to stay through high school. They somehow managed to keep meeting even though they played sports, and belongs to various other clubs and activities.
    Last edited by sluce; October 31st, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Great post Sluce, but I doubt that You would call a child IT to his/her (given the gender the child identifies with) face. To me that is just common sense & politeness, but obviously its not apparent to everyone.
    Free Charmed.

No I would not call a child IT but these leaders have not been trained to react to anything outside of the norm. It is so hard to find leaders at all.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seth82 View Post
    now if only the Boy Scouts could be like this.
    The boy scouts have had female members in the past, since 1932

^^As members who participate as a scout or just as Den Mothers?

Den mothers. Girls are still not allowed to be members.

BSA Discrimination.org:Home -> Girls in BSA -> Women in Scouting

Adult Leaders. All troop adult leader positions have always been open to men. For over 50 years, women were excluded from troop operation except for an optional "mothers auxiliary." More recently, women were allowed to hold any troop committee position but not Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster. Finally in 1988, the BSA opened these positions to women also. As a result, all adult positions in the Boy Scouting Division (as well as in the other Divisions) are now open to both men and women.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Den mothers. Girls are still not allowed to be members.

BSA Discrimination.org:Home -> Girls in BSA -> Women in Scouting

Girls can join Venturers too, or whatever it's called.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information