Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl abducted in 1991 found alive

I'm still thinking that being alive has got to be better than being dead. Sure, in order to function in a normal environment she'd need so much therapy that isn't even invented yet. But she's made it so far, who knows if she can't be taking daily pleasures out of little things? The 11 yo won't be back, but that was a given anyway.

So now more neighbors are saying something was fishy (not posting those stories), AND the police admit that in 2006 they got a tip about there being kids living in tents in the Garridos' back yard. Very fucking disappointing.

Contra Costa Co. Sheriff: "We Missed an Opportunity"
    Printable Page
    Ayesha Thomas, Multimedia Producer

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA -- The Contra Costa County Sheriff admitted, "On November 30, 2006 we missed an opportunity to bring an earlier closure to this situation."

Sheriff Warren E. Rupf said in a news conference Friday that a call was made to 911 from an anonymous source that young children were living in tents in a backyard of Phillip Garrido's home in Antioch.

Garrido has been arrested for the kidnapping and rape of Jaycee Lee Dugard who has been missing since 1991.

Rupf said that the person who called 911 also told the dispatcher that, "Garrido was psychotic and had a sexual addiction."

Authorities say Garrido and his wife Nancy grabbed Dugard as she walked to her school bus stop near her home in South Lake Tahoe.

"We made contact with Mr. Garrido in the front yard of his home," said Rupf. "The responding deputy determined that there was not any criminal misbehavior and informed Mr. Garrido there were code restrictions with regard to living outside in a residential neighborhood."

Rupf added that the officer did not enter the home nor did he request to take a look around the backyard.

Rupf said, "This is not an acceptable outcome. Organizationally, we should have been more inquisitive, more curious, and turned over a rock or two."

El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar said in a news conference Thursday that the break in the 18-year search for Dugard came Tuesday when Garrido, accompanied by Jaycee's two daughters, attempted to hand out religious literature on the UC Berkeley campus.

The interaction between Garrido and the two girls prompted the attention of a UC Berkeley police officer, who ran a background check on Garrido.

When it was discovered that Garrido was on parole following a 1971 conviction for rape and kidnapping, Kollar said officers alerted the state parole office.

The call led to a meeting called by Garrido's parole officer, Kollar said. Along with Garrido was his wife Nancy, the two girls and a young woman Garrido called Allissa.

Kollar said the parole officer had never seen "Allissa" or the two girls during any home visits to Garrido's Antioch home. That suspicion prompted a call to the Concord Police Department. From there, detectives unraveled Garrido's house of cards -- and it wasn't long before the young woman admitted to investigators that she was Jaycee Dugard.

Authorities also confirmed that Garrido was the father of Jaycee's two children ages 11 and 15.

Officers in Antioch who searched the Garridos' home Thursday found a secluded, blocked-off backyard area, a number of tents and sheds in a secret area hidden behind a 6-foot fence under a tarp.

Kollar said it was in the soundproofed shed and two outdoor tents that Jaycee and the girls lived for 18 years.

Given the lameness of these officers, I want to know who is the HERO at UC Berkeley who finally got the ball rolling to stop this horror. Put a medal on that officer.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

And ... the woman who finally helped crack this case is Allison Jacobs, UC Berkely Police Officer. Go, Allison! Seriously, she deserves a HUGE commendation of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    What really struck me is a quote from the step-dad? Mom?They said that the kidnapper had Jaycee longer than they had. They only had her for 11 years and he had her for 18. Chills.
    Death by Ling Chi for Phillip Garrido!!!

^^Agreed. She is a hero!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I just wrote a brief note of thanks to the person who must be Allison Jacobs's supervisor saying what a great job she did and how it must be a great department, and I hope she is commended as a hero.

"Kollar said it was in the soundproofed shed and two outdoor tents that Jaycee and the girls lived for 18 years."

Those poor girls, that is so hard to imagine. Unbelievable.

I'm sure he raped the daughters too.. wow.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

^^ And maybe they were found just in time to prevent his daughters from giving birth to inbred second-generation captives?

God the details of this are just horrendous, what an ordeal these poor people must have gone through to live for so long in a back garden. What a sick, sick bastard that man is, I hope he rots in jail.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Elite Member

They were saying on CBS news tonight that he may have been a serial killer of prostitutes also.

What else did those poor children witness?

What do you think he did (hey it could have happened) or would have done if she had had boys instead of girls?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    I'm still thinking that being alive has got to be better than being dead. Sure, in order to function in a normal environment she'd need so much therapy that isn't even invented yet. But she's made it so far, who knows if she can't be taking daily pleasures out of little things? The 11 yo won't be back, but that was a given anyway.
    Yeah, I don't think being dead would be the better option. People can survive amazing things. It's horrible, yes, but not worse than death.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    So now more neighbors are saying something was fishy (not posting those stories), AND the police admit that in 2006 they got a tip about there being kids living in tents in the Garridos' back yard. Very fucking disappointing.

Given the lameness of these officers, I want to know who is the HERO at UC Berkeley who finally got the ball rolling to stop this horror. Put a medal on that officer.
    Yeah, I've just been reading a bunch of stuff that says they were told there were kids there, the cops went to the door, never checked the garden, didn't even know he was a sex offender. So many mistakes that could have been avoided. I hope they can sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    And ... the woman who finally helped crack this case is Allison Jacobs, UC Berkely Police Officer. Go, Allison! Seriously, she deserves a HUGE commendation of some sort.
    Do you have contact info? I'd like to send her a letter as well. When people do the right thing they need to be comended aas much as possible.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Kidnap suspect had criminal past, brother says

Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Friday, August 28, 2009

Ron Garrido said he always knew his younger brother was deeply troubled.

There was, he recalled Thursday, Phillip Garrido's damaging use of LSD as a teenager in Brentwood and his talk of sexual compulsion. There was the escape from fellow drug dealers after high school, the federal conviction for rape and kidnapping and his prison marriage.

Still, the latest news - accusations that his 58-year-old brother had snatched a child off a street, held her in his backyard for 18 years and fathered two of her children - was a shock for Ron Garrido.

He said in an interview with The Chronicle that he was surprised at his only sibling's alleged crimes - but he didn't doubt the story.

"It just seems so bizarre, but I can believe it," said the 65-year-old Brentwood resident. "I know my brother, and I can believe he did that. ... He's a fruitcake.

"My thoughts are with the poor little girl," Ron Garrido said of Jaycee Lee Dugard, 29, who was abducted in 1991 near her family's South Lake Tahoe home. "She was held prisoner there. She had two children with this idiot. Now she's got to start a life."

Ron Garrido said his brother's wife, Nancy Garrido, who was also arrested, was "a robot" under her husband's control.

"She would do anything he asked her to," said Ron Garrido, a former electrician and retired supervisor at the East Contra Costa Irrigation District. "I told my wife, 'It's no different from Manson and those girls.' She was under his control."

The brothers grew up in Brentwood with their parents, Manuel and Pat Garrido. Their childhood was relatively unremarkable, he said, until Phillip Garrido began acting out, using LSD and dealing drugs.

Phillip Garrido graduated from Liberty High School in 1969. When he was about 20, he fled to Reno after learning that fellow drug dealers "had a contract out on him," Ron Garrido said.

In 1971, Phillip Garrido was convicted of rape and kidnapping after taking a woman prisoner in Reno and assaulting her somewhere else in the Tahoe area, the brother said.

It was at the federal prison in Leavenworth, Kan., that Phillip Garrido met his wife, the visiting niece of another prisoner.

The couple communicated through letters and then married in a ceremony held behind prison walls, Ron Garrido said.

After his release in the late 1980s, Phillip Garrido moved in with his mother, who lived just outside Antioch in a modest home with a large backyard. His parents had divorced in 1971, and his mother had later married Herschel Franzen, who left the home to his wife when he died in the early 1990s.

Their mother still lives at the home but has suffered major dementia for about eight years, according to her son. On Thursday, she was at the Contra Costa Regional Medical Center in Martinez.
    Ron Garrido said his brother, over the subsequent years, spoke of plans to get rich and start a church. But he never spoke of Dugard.
    There was one suspicious incident. In 2007, Ron Garrido said, an aunt told him that Phillip Garrido had visited her in Brentwood and brought along two young girls. He said they were neighbors' children and that he was babysitting.

"My aunt told me, 'I swear that oldest girl is his daughter. She's got his eyes,' " Ron Garrido remembered.

Ron Garrido said he never went into the home's backyard, where police say Phillip Garrido had set up a crude compound for his captives.

"My brother could do no wrong in my mother's eyes. I'm sure he told her some story and she bought the whole thing," the older brother said.

He said he last saw his brother at a relative's funeral a few weeks ago, and Phillip Garrido was acting strangely and pacing back and forth to his car.

But that was Phillip, the brother said, and Phillip was a strange man.
    "Crazy, crazy, crazy," Ron Garrido said. "There's no word to describe this. It's just out there."
    Kidnap suspect had criminal past, brother says
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

It is very likely that he did not rape the 2 little girls as they are genetically related. Believe it or not, these nutjobs often have boundaries that in their minds cannot be crossed. It is fine to rape other girls/women but not their own.

There is no mention of his having kids with the wide. I wonder if she was infertile so they took the girl to have kids for him. It is all so sad. This poor girl, now a woman, and her 2 kids have a long road ahead of them. I hope they can still learn to find peace and joy in this world.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I want to cry after reading of what this girl, her children, and her parents have been through. I feel so bad for everything this family has lost because of those sick ass abductors. There is no punishment severe enough for this crime. And how terrible for the stepdad to witness the abduction, not be able to stop it, be under suspicion for years, and lose his marriage over this. Garrido has ruined many lives. I hope he rots in hell, even though that's too good for him.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information