Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Girl abducted in 1991 found alive

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Linne View Post
    Here is the photo from the business card:
    I wish they would stop trying to get pictures of this woman. Leave her the fuck alone. She does not need her face plastered all over the media.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I wish they would stop trying to get pictures of this woman. Leave her the fuck alone. She does not need her face plastered all over the media.
    I see your point but we do live in a media obsessed world. I wouldn't be surprised if she does eventually start making the media rounds, the people magazine cover story, the Oprah interview, maybe even a book. I know I'm being cynical but she wouldn't be the first victim of abuse to do that. I don't know if it's because they are "expected" to share all of their pain and suffering to the world media according to script, or because of the money, or whatever, but it does happen.

wow she is a beautiful woman. I guess she can choose to do whatever she likes with her life after this. I just hope she has some good counseling before she makes any rash choices.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I just can't shake him Google Maps
    Run Twitchy run!! Run from the Pedovan!!

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I see your point but we do live in a media obsessed world. I wouldn't be surprised if she does eventually start making the media rounds, the people magazine cover story, the Oprah interview, maybe even a book. I know I'm being cynical but she wouldn't be the first victim of abuse to do that. I don't know if it's because they are "expected" to share all of their pain and suffering to the world media according to script, or because of the money, or whatever, but it does happen.
    I get what you're saying and it's sad to think that victims kind of are 'expected' to share so that the rest of us can get our vicarious thrills from the comfort of our sofas. I think she might do a book (god, no, not another misery memoir!) or something and maybe that's a way for her and the family to make enough money to keep her and the kids ok for the rest of their lives. I can't imagine what she or those kids could do for work at this point. It's just so incredibly fucked up and I have to tell you that as a parent my heart breaks every time I think about this situation.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Linne, where'd you find this?
    From Websleuths.

I wish we here at GR would agree to not promote the spread of pictures of this woman and her kids. I really think it's wrong. Discuss, sure, but leave her alone otherwise. If and when she decides to speak publically about this and pt her face out there then it's fair game but otherwise I really wish she could just be left alone. I really hope the media and the paps actually grow a conscience over this one because I think pursuing her and trying to get that million dollar shot of her will only make her recovery that much more difficult.

--Sinclair Lewis

Things like this can only "encourage" the inevitable t.v. talk show and book circuit:

About 2,000 turn out for parade for kidnap victim

(09-06) 18:40 PDT South Lake Tahoe, Calif. (AP) --
    The town where Jaycee Lee Dugard was kidnapped 18 years ago celebrated her astounding reappearance with a parade Sunday while she remained secluded with her family in Northern California.
    Dugard's former classmates and teachers were among those who took part in the one-mile march along South Lake Tahoe's main drag to celebrate her safe return. She was snatched from a school bus stop in the resort town in 1991 at the age of 11.
    "We just want her to know that we love her and support her," said Jillian Broadfoot, 30, who attended Meyers Elementary School with Dugard at the time. "I think Tahoe lost its innocence with the kidnapping, and hopefully her return restores a little faith here."
    South Lake Tahoe Police Chief Terry Daniels estimated 2,000 people took part in the parade and another 500 people joined them at a rally afterward. Most wore pink attire or held pink balloons in recognition of Dugard's favorite color. The parade route was lined by pink ribbons on trees.
    Some participants yelled out, "Jaycee, we love you." Others wore pink T-shirts with the message, "Jaycee, Tahoe (Hearts) You."

Meghan Dorris, 28, of Stateline, was among Dugard classmates who started a pink ribbon campaign when she was she abducted to show their hope for her safe return.
    "It really haunted us over the years, and I'm just excited to get her back," Dorris said. "Putting myself in her place, I can't imagine what she went through. I wish her the best in the healing process and hope she can lead a normal life."
    Sunday's parade followed the reverse route of a march held on the 10th anniversary of Dugard's abduction. Missing person posters that volunteers handed out in the days after she disappeared in 1991 were stacked near the start and updated with large black circles with slashes drawn through them.
    Dugard had been living in the South Lake Tahoe area with her mother, stepfather and infant sister for less than a year when she was snatched off the street. Her stepfather, Carl Probyn, has said they moved there from Southern California partly because they thought it would be safer.
    Phillip Garrido, 58, and his wife, 54-year-old Nancy Garrido, have pleaded not guilty to 29 counts of kidnapping, rape and false imprisonment in Dugard's disappearance.
    Police say the Garridos held Dugard captive in a backyard encampment of tents and sheds in Antioch, Calif., and Garrido fathered two children with Dugard. Both Garridos are being held without bail.
    Probyn watched the parade from a sport utility vehicle and attended the rally. He was at Tahoe with an Australian television crew.
    "I wanted to be there, but I didn't want to be the center of attention," Probyn said. "I didn't want it to be about me."

Karen Gillis-Tinlin, principal of Meyers Elementary when the kidnapping occurred, said she can't recall a happier day or a larger throng at Tahoe.
    "All I want to do is cry right now," she said. "I feel overwhelming joy and happiness. Obviously, Jaycee hasn't been forgotten. She has remained in our minds and hearts all these years."
    She and classmates remembered Dugard as quiet, friendly and well liked.
    "She could have been anyone's child, and that's why you personalize it," Gillis-Tinlin said. "You think, 'It could have been my child who was kidnapped.'"
    At a rally afterward, law enforcement officers and representatives of the sponsoring group Soroptimist International paid tribute to Dugard and her family.
    "We wish they could be here today, but we want to reach out and let them know we love them," said Brooke Laine of the Soroptimists.
    El Dorado County sheriff's Lt. Les Lovell said the Dugard case teaches an important lesson.
    "I was suspecting that we would never see her again," he told the crowd. "Her story shows that anytime there's hope we need to keep hope alive."
    Pink T-shirts and cupcakes were sold at the rally, with proceeds going to the Jaycee Dugard Family Fund.
    (This version CORRECTS quote in 15th graf to "She has remained in our minds ..." not "her minds.")

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I wish we here at GR would agree to not promote the spread of pictures of this woman and her kids. I really think it's wrong. Discuss, sure, but leave her alone otherwise. If and when she decides to speak publically about this and pt her face out there then it's fair game but otherwise I really wish she could just be left alone. I really hope the media and the paps actually grow a conscience over this one because I think pursuing her and trying to get that million dollar shot of her will only make her recovery that much more difficult.
    I agree, and shame on Websleuths for allowing that pic to remain on their website (which is all about the victims...riiiight) so it can be C&P'ed elsewhere.

This woman is not a celebrity, she's a CRIME victim. But then again, so was Elizabeth Smart and she was paraded around the media. As was Shawn Hornbeck, whose 48 Hours interview (never understood why his parents would allow it in the first place) was aired again last Saturday with a preface about Jaycee Dugard.

Unfortunately, I also agree the magazine covers and Oprah interview are probably already in the works.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I get what you guys are saying, but if Jaycee is healthy enough to give interviews and make millions of dollars doing it, then good for her. At least she wouldn't have to work another day of her life, and her daughters would be taken care of. It's a small consolation in an otherwise dark story.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

^^True, and if that's the route she chooses to take, that's her decision. And yes, I admit I would probably watch the interview.

The problem is, an alleged picture of her is being circulated, presumably without her permission. That's what I feel is wrong.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

There was a news blurb posted previously about some girl who was similarly abducted somewhere in Europe. When she was found she became a media darling and celebrity, even had her own dating show it said. But nowadays she's become a recluse and stays in her own place.

Our media is SO hungry for the latest internet/news sensation, the latest 'it' person, that they will milk all forms of tragedies and the like to make a buck. I suppose it's always been that way, but nothing like now when anyone and everyone can become famous for anything in life. And something like this when a grown woman with two kids turns out to be a missing girl almost two decades ago? That is too juicy for the media to ignore and sensationalize.

Hell, this subject alone already has 10 pages of discussion, so it shows that there's a 'market' and fascination with this story. Tailor made for a book, movie, and the talk show circuit. It's not just that the media has "conditioned" victims to sell their stories. It just follows 'script,' kind of how adoptees are 'expected' to eventually track down their biological in a tearful and joyous reunion (won't go there).

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Things like this can only "encourage" the inevitable t.v. talk show and book circuit:

About 2,000 turn out for parade for kidnap victim
    Celeb, you may be right. I also think, though, that this kidnapping traumatized the entire community of South Lake Tahoe. Of course that's nothing compared to how it affected Jaycee Dugard herself, and her immediate family. But the town really never had forgotten what happened, and I think they probably just wanted the family to know that they are hugely relieved and ready to be supportive.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I agree, and shame on Websleuths for allowing that pic to remain on their website (which is all about the victims...riiiight) so it can be C&P'ed elsewhere.
    Annnnnnnnnd we expected anything less from Websleuths???

Websleuths - I'll take unwarranted self importance for $1000 Alex

I hope that what comes out of this is that people in general are more aware. EVERYONE should check Megan's law and find out what kind of criminals are in their area. If you know of a sex offender and they're acting suspicious like calling your teen over, raising kids in a tent in the backyard. etc - call the police with the information. There must be many more people like her and that girl in Austria that need to be rescued.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread Information