Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Genetic test for childhood diseases could lead to eugenics say critics

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's a slippery slope. A local couple conceived healthy twin boys via IVF but aborted both because they wanted girls. They have been denied further IVF and are now fighting it through the courts.
    Wow that is shocking. I can not imagine doing that. They were blessed with healthy twins and that wasn't good enough? I agree with denying them more treatments. This just sickens me.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

No, that's beyond the pale. You gotta set up some really strict, ethical rules. Rejection by sex is playing God.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

But where do you draw the line? If you can terminate a child of the "wrong" gender for medical reasons, why not for social ones?

It already happens of course. Due to the ethnic/religious local population (OK, Pakistani Muslims) the hospital where I had my kids doesn't tell parents the gender of their baby before its born any more because so many girls were being aborted or the mothers were getting into mysterious "accidents" that caused miscarriages. It's like the fucking stone age.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Good grief. Really.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Broken record here - if you have teenage kids, encourage them to consider majoring in bioethics in college. The need is great and it is a fascinating field. Wish my own kid would do it but she wants to be a teacher/guidance counselor.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

But where do you draw the line? If you can terminate a child of the "wrong" gender for medical reasons, why not for social ones?

It already happens of course. Due to the ethnic/religious local population (OK, Pakistani Muslims) the hospital where I had my kids doesn't tell parents the gender of their baby before its born any more because so many girls were being aborted or the mothers were getting into mysterious "accidents" that caused miscarriages. It's like the fucking stone age.
    Umm-this argument is 30 years or so too late. You can already get an abortion for any reason.
    I think any parent who loved their child would never allow the baby to reach birth if they know full on that child would suffer horribly. And I do not think it is anyones business but theirs.
    Furthermore, those idiots that aborted the twin boys? Good. They would have made very poor parents. I hope they never get the chance again.
    There is a vast difference between a parent choosing to end a pregnancy knowing there is no hope ahead and an idiot.
    The only possible slippery slope there is the twits who would dare to judge.
    I have in my lifetime known one person with cystic fibrosis -she was frail . She did make it to 23. Everyday was a torture to her.
    I have known one person who had a child with sickle cell. That child suffered through unbearable pain,long hospitalizations and just plain agony.
    In both cases, the parents suffered right with them. Both of them were born long before anyone could tell. Now people have the ability and the right to find out. They owe it to their children to prevent a life of pain. To protect themselves from dimwits, I also think they should never tell a soul.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Oh, I'd do this in a heartbeat. But I'm doing my own extreme form of this by choosing not to get pregnant at all. I know I could possibly pass some awful shit to a kid, and it's not worth it to me when so many healthy kids out there don't have families. I'd rather just get paired up with one of them than create my own monstrosity doomed to a life of suffering.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    Oh, I'd do this in a heartbeat. But I'm doing my own extreme form of this by choosing not to get pregnant at all. I know I could possibly pass some awful shit to a kid, and it's not worth it to me when so many healthy kids out there don't have families. I'd rather just get paired up with one of them than create my own monstrosity doomed to a life of suffering.
    This is far the best idea.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    Yup, I'm with you on this. I wouldn't even try and get pregnant in the first place.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's a slippery slope. A local couple conceived healthy twin boys via IVF but aborted both because they wanted girls. They have been denied further IVF and are now fighting it through the courts.

If I'm not mistaken this is the case where the couple already had three boys and wanted a girl. They wouldn't let them choose by gender and they got pregnant with two boys. I can sort of understand this. I'm not sure why it's a big deal to let them choose the gender. Can't they tell before they try implanting? Or am I thinking of something else?

Quote Originally Posted by gristledonna View Post
    If I'm not mistaken this is the case where the couple already had three boys and wanted a girl. They wouldn't let them choose by gender and they got pregnant with two boys. I can sort of understand this. I'm not sure why it's a big deal to let them choose the gender. Can't they tell before they try implanting? Or am I thinking of something else?
    Really? Aborting two healthy babies just because of their gender (when you wanted more kids enough to go the IVF route) is understandable??
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Bronze Member

Turns out their daughter died, before the IVF conception of twin boys.

Couple with three sons abort twin boys after IVF... and they will try again for a baby girl as their first daughter died | Mail Online

Not that I think it makes it any better. And it's in the Daily Mail.

Exclamation Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by gristledonna View Post
    Of course you would.
    Last edited by philbert_wormly; January 15th, 2011 at 02:53 PM.

The couple that aborted the twins are disgusting. They don't deserve anymore kids IMO.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Tyler View Post
    Turns out their daughter died, before the IVF conception of twin boys.

Couple with three sons abort twin boys after IVF... and they will try again for a baby girl as their first daughter died | Mail Online

Not that I think it makes it any better. And it's in the Daily Mail.

Yeah that's the case I was thinking of. If it's possible to implant the desired gender I don't see the problem. It's IVF, it's not abortion based on gender. Slightly different. Abortion on demand already exists. People certainly do this already legally. Trying to prevent it now is just closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information