Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Fury over school bus video: Bus monitor "bullied"

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I wish someone would give me money for not doing my job.
    I may be out of line with my response, as I have not read the entire thread, but you have got to be kidding me with this response.

She is a retired bus driver. She is a hearing impaired senior citizen supplementing her income doing what she can. Those children harassed her for no reason with vile comments. I think she did her job and had a lot more restraint than I would have.

Please do not say she wasnt doing her job.

ETA, I've read more, and I do agree the donations may have gotten out of hand, but I stick to my guns, she did her job and those kids were out of line. If that were my mother or grandmother, I would want to strangle those kids myself

She wasn't doing her job. As the bus monitor her job is to control the kids and maintain a safe environment, stop bullying, etc. She didn't do it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

So, greys, what exactly would you have done?

I honestly want to know what response people think would have been better than what she did, which was just trying to ignore the little brats and trying to act like she had no reaction. What could she have done that made them stop, not egged them on, and not gotten her into trouble? Putting hands on them was off limits, yelling at them would have probably caused the situation to escalate and the taunts to be even worse, she had no authority to stop the bus, etc.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Firstly, the little shits would have respected me from day one and it never would have crossed their minds to act up on my bus, that's what I would have done.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    So, greys, what exactly would you have done?

I honestly want to know what response people think would have been better than what she did, which was just trying to ignore the little brats and trying to act like she had no reaction. What could she have done that made them stop, not egged them on, and not gotten her into trouble? Putting hands on them was off limits, yelling at them would have probably caused the situation to escalate and the taunts to be even worse, she had no authority to stop the bus, etc.
    Exactly, I would like to know what any hearing adult would have done.

From some of the interviews I've seen, she was unaware of the suicide references

I think the position of bus "monitor" is probably a joke and the kids knew it. They knew she wasn't going to stop the bus because they were calling her names. I don't think it's her fault that she was hired for a position that essentially gave her no authority to act in this situation. It was horribly disrespectful, but not criminal. In reality, she probably would only stop the bus if something physical happened.

A few years ago, I read a local story about some boys who were arrested for fondling girls on the school bus, one of them actually exposed his genitals and pushed a girl's head in his lap. Now that's a situation where a real monitor was needed, and there wasn't one on board. It took the girls parents going to the school to get any action, and IIRC the bus driver was fired over it.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

As I've not watched the video, this may be a stupid question, but what was the bus driver doing? I mean, she had to be aware of what was going on right? Why did she not stop the bus and put an end to this?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    I may be out of line with my response, as I have not read the entire thread, but you have got to be kidding me with this response.

She is a retired bus driver. She is a hearing impaired senior citizen supplementing her income doing what she can. Those children harassed her for no reason with vile comments. I think she did her job and had a lot more restraint than I would have.

Please do not say she wasnt doing her job.

ETA, I've read more, and I do agree the donations may have gotten out of hand, but I stick to my guns, she did her job and those kids were out of line. If that were my mother or grandmother, I would want to strangle those kids myself
    Her job was to keep order on the bus. She didn't do that, and if her hearing impairment was a driving factor behind her inability to control the situation, she had no business being hired for that position. I suspect that part of the problem was a lack of support by the school administration to make sure discipline was carried out when things like this happen, and that's something that, if true, needs to be addressed.

Being an old lady trying to make ends meet may be grounds for sympathy (I certainly do feel bad that she went through that) but it doesn't mean she was good at being a bus monitor. This wasn't the first time a situation like this occurred - this time just happened to be picked up by the media.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I feel bad for her but I have to wonder how many kids on that bus received the same treatment because she couldn't manage the kids? A bus monitor is there to protect the kids in some way, if she couldn't even protect herself I'm sure she was not able to prevent them from treating other kids that way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    Personally, I think it has hit the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" phase with kids/school/bus. You know if she did anything, the kids would tell their parents, and the parents would raise hell with the school, and she could get fired from a job she might actually need.

I admit, my kids are a fucking handful, but at least they aren't mean shits. I did manage to teach them to be respectful and kind to everyone.
    This is what is really wrong with America: whiny assed parents raising whiny assed kids.

My kids are the same way. They get on my nerves sometimes, but they're mostly well behaved. If only they would stop arguing with each other. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    This might piss people off...BUT...

If my kids EVER did that, to anyone, I would beat the white off of their asses. Well, not really beat them, but they would be hating life, and us, for a VERY long time.
    As a good parent should. Really, we shouldn't beat our kids, but we shouldn't let bad behavior stand. If my kids ever did anything even remotely like this they would be very very unhappy for a very very long time.

**UPDATE **

Bullied bus monitor Karen Klein receives $700,000 cheque in Toronto

She is known as the grandmother who was bullied on the bus, captured on video with tears streaming down her face as four middle-school boys relentlessly insulted her.

Today, thanks to the financial generosity of people around the globe, Karen Klein is remaking her life, committing to a career as an anti-bullying activist.

Klein, a 68-year-old grandmother of eight, was presented with a giant cheque Tuesday morning for more than $700,000 (U.S.), the lump sum of online donations sent from 30,000 people from more than 80 countries.

The goal of the fund, conceived by a Torontonian in June, was originally $5,000, enough to send Klein on a luxury vacation, yet donations continued to pour in.

Since then, Klein has become a living symbol of the anti-bullying movement and Max Sidorov, the Toronto-based nutritionist who coordinated her fund, has started an anti-bullying campaign and television show.

Meanwhile, the boys are serving a year-long suspension from middle school and live in fear of being “harassed,” according to one father.

“I feel like a different person. I don’t feel like myself anymore, but that might be a good thing,” said Klein, wearing an all-black outfit at the cheque presentation in Toronto. “I don’t even need a vacation now that I’m retired,” she said.

Klein, a resident of Greece, N.Y., a post-war suburb of Rochester, received international attention in June after a video of her being bullied, titled “Making the Bus Monitor Cry,” was uploaded to YouTube.

“You’re a troll Karen,” said one boy in the video. “Yeah, you’re probably missing your box of Twinkies,” said another.

Klein received her money earlier this month. With it, she “helped herself,” she said, paying off her car and house. She plans to go on a cruise before Christmas.

Because her money is from many sources, it will not be taxed as a lump sum, according to Sidorov, who said he did not receive a cut of the fund. The money-raising site, Indiegogo, took approximately $28,000, the regular 4 per cent marketplace processing fee.

The boys, all either 12 or 13 years old at the time of the incident, were suspended from Athena Middle School for one year. Three of them apologized to Klein in statements, said local police.

Robert Helm is a father of one of the boys.

“I’m happy for Karen. Good for her. But at this point I could care less about what’s going on. I just worry about my family,” said Helm.

“The more you guys keep dragging the story out, the more my family gets harassed,” he said. “My ex-wife just got her tires slashed the other day.”

Helm said there are more “little things,” but “nothing else I want to discuss.”

Klein has not seen the boys since the incident. She said she has no interest in seeing them, as none of them has come to her to apologize in person, according to Sidorov.

When asked if the memory of the incident is painful, Klein said, “No, it’s not painful anymore. Kids are kids. What they say you take with a grain of salt.”

Klein is starting an anti-bullying foundation, to which she will donate $100,000 of her fund.

She is planning on doing a speaking tour across schools in the United States, beginning in October.

“Though I would need a speech writer,” she said. “I have a tendency to ramble.”

Bullied bus monitor Karen Klein receives $700,000 cheque in Toronto - thestar.com
    Go Habs Go!!

Sickening. Getting 3/4 of a million for being shitty at your job.
    faithanne, msdeb and Rusalka like this.

While I felt sorry for her when I watched the video, I just don't think she deserves $700,000.

There are people...and animals (foster mom to rescue dogs here) that deserve donations like this.

This might be the first time ever that generosity is making my head hurt. I don't understand why people kept donating when it was getting into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. They really couldn't think of a better cause?
    mjw likes this.

What a difference in responses on my Facebook!! Like I said in the 1st post...I grew up in Greece, NY. I also went to High School at Greece Athena(the school those brats go to).
    So the majority of my FB friends grew up in Greece too or still live there. When this 1st became public, 99% of every comment was shock & horror for this poor woman. Most of the comments on the local news articles were the same.

Now after it's all said and done and she received this money, The majority are pissed about it. Pretty much the same arguments that were said here....
    She wasn't doing her job, That amount is ridiculous, etc....

I don't know what to make of it lol....

I agree what was said. She wasn't really doing that great of a job in the 1st place. How many other kids on that bus were bullied and she sat back and ignored it.
    Fine, Give her a vacation. But $700,000??? Come on. They should of capped it at the cost of a wonderful relaxing vacation, then donate the rest of the money to different charities.
    But that's just my opinion, and no one really gives a flying fuck about it
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread Information