Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: French woman threatens legal action over 'burkini' ban

^^ Good point about the sunscreen. These burkinis might have some practical uses. I would totally wear something like this if it would alleviate the need to keep applying sunscreen every hour.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    It's kind of silly looking but really, they're just asking for a lawsuit.
    You mean swimsuit.

[/I]Just curious, how is it anymore 'unhygienic' than other people swimming in pools with their smelly pube and ass hairs all over the place and kids taking a nice piss and dump in the corner, and some 400 pound guy who has b.o. from not showering?
    [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Blech. I will never, ever, ever go to a public pool again, thanks to you!
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    I don't see the big deal. If she wants to swim in all that, so what. I don't get who it's hurting. And as for banning it for hygiene reasons...what about little kids peeing in the pool, hairy guys who don't cover up enough, and other things that make me feel icky about public pools?
    From my understanding, the amount of chlorine that should be used in a pool pretty much disintegrates urine as soon as it hits the water. I'd be far more worried about getting crypto, a parasite that causes diarrhea and is chlorine resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    It's unhygienic because it could have been worn outside, women swimming suits with mini skirts or the kind of surfer swimming trunks that men wear in the US are also banned in France, there are other unhygienic things going on in swimming pools but it's not a reason not to control what can be controlled.

As she is French she knows what the rules are, she just wants to be in the news. The funny thing in this story is that real muslims don't want to wear burkinis in mixed swimming pools as it is forbidden for women to hang around men in speedos, and they can wear what they want in women only sessions
    i have some muslim friends from my university.. they don't wear the full burka(the one where you only see the eyes) but they wear a headscarf and usually a black cloak/dress thing to cover them ( i don't know what its called).. i've been swimming with them before in a ladies only session and they were all wearing normal swimsuits and tankinis... they only cover themselves in public where men who are not their husbands or relatives are. if they're just chilling with the girls at home there is no need for them to cover up they just dress normally, even in miniskirts etc.
    so i don't see why this women couldn't just go to a ladies only session? she knows the rules in her country

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    From my understanding, the amount of chlorine that should be used in a pool pretty much disintegrates urine as soon as it hits the water. I'd be far more worried about getting crypto, a parasite that causes diarrhea and is chlorine resistant.
    Great, one more icky thing for me to think about when i'm at a public pool.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    As she is French she knows what the rules are, she just wants to be in the news. The funny thing in this story is that real muslims don't want to wear burkinis in mixed swimming pools as it is forbidden for women to hang around men in speedos, and they can wear what they want in women only sessions
    We had a patient who came everyday for a month and requested that during the hour she was in the pool no men could be present. It was a nightmare how do you tell someone they can't get a swim appointment for a month because of this? And yes, she wore a once piece swim suit in front of all women.

If it's such a big issue have a group of people who feel like this rent space once a month for ladies only swimming or build a pool themselves. I feel I'm pretty tolerant, but if I go to certain countries I can't drink or go to the store without a note, they certainly won't accomodate me unless I live in a Westernized area.

Here's the non-islamic version for us who burn easily:

Women's Sun Protective Swimwear, Rash Guards - Coolibar Inc.

I'm sorry, surf trunks are banned in france? The fuck is that about? I'm not putting my ass in some tacky speedo!

Fuck France! Board shorts forever!
    greysfang likes this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Remind me never to go to a French beach, last thing I want to see is a bunch of paunchy men in nut huggers

I think the burkini would work for me. I just don't like wearing swimsuits in general. I coud hide my tumtum and cellulite.
    Rock the fuck on!

A*O

Australia's first female Muslim surf lifesaver. I think they now have the distinctive red/yellow uniforms.

I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I think those burkini's are kinda cute

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Australia's first female Muslim surf lifesaver. I think they now have the distinctive red/yellow uniforms.

See, it doesn't look bad does it?

Like I said those rash guard types are freaking dope, I use it a lot to hide my gut and man boobies (the short sleeve kind).

How to Work Out While Muslim -- and Female

How to Work Out While Muslim -- and Female - Yahoo! News

The first time I went jogging in Tehran, I nearly hyperventilated after four blocks, despite wearing the gauziest of head scarves and a decidedly immodest Nike capris. The fabric covering my ears and neck stoked my body temperature unbearably, and the pleasurable strain of running gave way to acute discomfort. "How am I going to stay fit here?" I wailed to my Iranian girlfriends, experts in the dilemma of balancing exercise with Islamic modesty codes. They offered me a rich store of advice, from head scarves with ear slits to calibrating outdoor exercise with the seasons to where to find women's only gyms.

For the pious Muslim woman, one of the greatest challenges of modern life is how to get a health-conscious work-out. In Iran, of course, the state mandates Islamic dress, so secular and faithful women alike must contend with religious codes that interfere with exercise. But the problem persists for individual Muslim women throughout the Islamic world and the West. It grabbed headlines this week when a Paris swimming pool refused entry to a young Muslim woman wearing a "burqini," a swim garment resembling a diving suit. In France the incident falls into a wider political debate over how to reconcile the country's Muslim immigrants to French secular values. And while the number of Muslim women in France - indeed throughout the world - who insist on such a severe covering as the burqa is small, the challenge of staying slim and Islamically proper is not. (Will France ban the burqa?)

So what is the faithful but health-conscious Muslim woman to do? There are many schools of thought addressing this practical problem, and often the answer boils down to comfort versus one's attachment to a particular sport. I am a runner by nature, keenly attached to the mind-slowing demands of setting pace and the sensation of my feet first thudding and then gliding over pavement. But my discomfort threshold is ridiculously low, and while living in Iran I gave up running in favor of hiking (in mountainous seclusion, no one frets if you tie a bandana over your hair instead of a proper veil). During snowy Tehran winters, I pushed myself to go skiing, since modesty ceases to be an issue when you're bundled in a ski-suit and hat. I did more yoga than I was accustomed to, since the Iranian middle-class is obsessed with yoga and classes are more ubiquitous than mosques in many neighborhoods. Perhaps my cardiovascular endurance plunged with all this varied exercise, but hey, I was cross training, out of the clutches of the morality police, and pretty comfortable. (Should a pious Muslim practice yoga?)

Many Muslim women are more devoted to their favorite form of exercise. If they are runners they must run, if they are swimmers they must swim. For these women, there are only two answers: a clever outfit that breathes, or sequestration in a same-sex exercise facility. The athletic veil, know as the "hijood," is made from high-tech fabric that's meant to wick sweat off the skin, and debuted when the Bahraini sprinter Rogaya Al Ghasara wore it while competing at the 2008 Olympics. While it takes a certain steely piety to wear the hijood - its slick ninja-esque style might be too assertively Muslim for some - the relative ease of sweating or swimming in something other than heavy cotton is pretty unbeatable. In certain situations, even the burqini might prove indispensable. A decade ago, when I regularly frequented Wild Wadi, Dubai's vast waterpark, mothers in sopping wet clothes gamely accompanied their children down spiralling slides and endless rivers. They must have been miserable to no end, but put up with it rather than refuse their kids the thrill of water rides. For pious moms on beach holidays with families - when women-only beaches or hours at waterparks are useless, since older boy children and dads must be left behind - the burqini is useful, not the joke it seems sometimes in the West.

For some Muslim women, though, gender- segregated exercise is the preferred and discrete option. When you've grown up in a culture where men and women relate prudishly, not even a Coolmax barrier of high-tech lycra is going to put you at ease panting alongside men in a co-ed exercise class. Women's-only gyms, or gyms with women's-only hours or rooms, dot the whole of the Islamic world. Even in the United States, the idea that women are more relaxed exercising without men's eyes on them has led to a preponderance of secular, women-only chains like Curves and Linda Evans Fitness. This non-religious attitude toward gender-segregated exercise neatly sets immigration politics aside, and has created a way for Americans from Muslims countries to retain their piety without seeming to embrace separation. I have fond memories of following my mother around her local Linda Evans center in California, watching Pakistani matrons and white soccer moms chat and stride energetically on long rows of treadmills.

For the fitness-minded faithful, the terrain varies dramatically from one country and region to another. But with some determination, it remains entirely possible for Muslim women - from the gently shy to the severely pious - to stay in shape while respecting their faith's modesty etiquette.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information