Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Forensic Artist recreates how Mary, Queen of Scots, may have looked

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
    Kittylady, how far are you from Edinburgh?
    Straight drive - over 200 miles, without taking any prettier roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Kitty take the train! Wherever you are in the UK the rail links to the Burgh are usually pretty damn good. Plus its a fabulous city and well worth a visit
    And bloody expensive!! Over £60 each for a ticket and as the trip each way is around 4 hours we'd have to come up with the cost of a hotel/B&B for the night too, otherwise we'd be too constricted with time to see or enjoy anything properly.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Hmmmm... stay with my wee sis! She'll put you up for free, and feed you jelly shots and day-old pizza. You too can enjoy student luxury.

Seriously though the train is bloody extortionate! I wonder if it's one of those things that are dead cheap if you book far enough in advance. Anyhoo Edinburgh is definitely well worth a visit, and although it is a bit more expensive than Glasgow, it's a million times nicer and if you go when the Fringe or the Tattoo are on then it's not nearly so pricey.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I shake my head in my most condescending manner when I read about you Brits/Europeans talking about long train trips. I know people who travel 6 hours A DAY just to get to work. I've travelled down to Canberra (3 hour trip) for art exhibitions and come back the same day. Last year I took a train to Melbourne to see my team win the grand final (go you Swannies!) and boarded in Sydney 8.00 pm Friday, arrived in Melbourne 9.00 am Saturday, went to the game then back on the 8.00 pm train to Sydney, arriving home 8.00 am Sunday. I was away for 36 hours and spent 25 of them in transit. But it was worth it!
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

That was long! I wouldn't mind if there was an interesting murder on board.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

There almost was! A guy kept talking in the loudest voice to the poor girl stuck beside him, until I stood up and told him to STFU because we were all trying to sleep. I got lots of thank yous once he got off at Albury.

200 miles around here is nothing. I usually do over a hundred each day between commuting and driving to different locations and homes while at work. It's about 250 miles to the beach from here (depending on which beach) and I know tons of people that make the drive almost every weekend to their beach homes throughout the year. Then again, that doesn't seem like a lot to me because I love to drive, even and especially by myself. I'm always the first to volunteer to drive if we're going to the beach or to TN or VA.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

meh, 200 miles is Austin to Dallas. Still in f'ing Texas.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

250 miles is about 400km and I wouldn't want to be doing that every weekend. Our holiday house was 50km away and it seemed like forever to a car full of kids making the trip every Friday arvo.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    meh, 200 miles is Austin to Dallas. Still in f'ing Texas.
    Tell 'em to make TX smaller.

I drive a lot also. Benefit of living in the country is that it's peaceful. Detriment is having to drive. To find anything. Unless you want to eat a ton of fried food and pay $5 for a mini bag of flour at the local mart.

I do a 250 mile round trip commute for work. A good day has me in the car for 5 hours of driving.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Kari I've only ever seen a little of Edinburgh (had to drive past the AC/DC exhibition that was on at the time and couldn't stop ) but I did like the little bit of time I got to spend in Weegieland. The Necropolis was amazing and I'd love to be able to go back with the camera kit some time.

Faithanne for us the consideration is fuel costs and driving time. Himself can sometimes cover a thousand miles in a week so I don't really like asking him to get in the car and spend a large part of his weekend driving too. I can't drive so it isn't even as if we can split it between us.

But I bet he'd soon shift his arse if there was an exhibition of Cray supercomputers on somewhere...
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I shake my head in my most condescending manner when I read about you Brits/Europeans talking about long train trips. I know people who travel 6 hours A DAY just to get to work. I've travelled down to Canberra (3 hour trip) for art exhibitions and come back the same day. Last year I took a train to Melbourne to see my team win the grand final (go you Swannies!) and boarded in Sydney 8.00 pm Friday, arrived in Melbourne 9.00 am Saturday, went to the game then back on the 8.00 pm train to Sydney, arriving home 8.00 am Sunday. I was away for 36 hours and spent 25 of them in transit. But it was worth it!
    We have to take into consideration that the average wage is £25k/annum and that we're paying in excess of US$10-14/gallon in fuel.
    I doubt that I could afford to commute 6 hours a day to work, however I have a colleague that travels for 4 hours each day on public transport (mainly bacause our public transport is so rubbish).
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    200 miles around here is nothing. I usually do over a hundred each day between commuting and driving to different locations and homes while at work. It's about 250 miles to the beach from here (depending on which beach) and I know tons of people that make the drive almost every weekend to their beach homes throughout the year. Then again, that doesn't seem like a lot to me because I love to drive, even and especially by myself. I'm always the first to volunteer to drive if we're going to the beach or to TN or VA.
    See above for the cost of fuel - I drive and drive a lot. Last winter, MrN called me at work & asked me to drop a part off somewhere in Scotland - It wasn't that far away & once I knew where I was going I set off (with a coffee & the part). My colleagues were all "you're going to XXX??? That'll take you a-g-e-s...." I not only had to drive there, but I then drove back too! Three hours total...
    However, I drive to the local (large) shopping centre, it takes me between 45 mins - 1 hour & I got regularly on impulse. Again, locals here go for "Xmas shopping" and make a trip of it.... I just don't get it, but I'm from a large conurbation where you drive for an hour for a night out.....

BTW - this is still on! & there are a load of events... Mary, Queen of Scots events
    Mary, Queen of Scots

Fri 28 June – Sun 17 November

I fancy the Belleville Sassoon exhibition at the Textile Museum in London.... Considering that its 5 hours each way on the train & incredibly expensive, I'm considering flying down, since it'll probably be cheaper!!!!
    Kittylady likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information