Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Filmgoer Who Knocked Out 10-Year-Old’s Tooth Says Kid Wouldn’t Be Quiet During Movie

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    There have honestly been times at the movie theater when I wanted to to turn to one of the parents sitting there with a babbling toddler or screaming baby and demand that they reimburse me for my ticket.

TBH, I wish movie theaters would make that a rule. It would cut down on a lot of bull.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Parents who choose to take a child to a public place are responsible for making sure that the child is not disruptive. If the child does become disruptive, the parent is responsible for removing the child (immediately) from the situation.

When I'm paying money to attend a movie, or go out to dinner, I expect to be able to enjoy it without disruptions from a child who is too young to be there in the first place and is unable to control its behavior. There have honestly been times at the movie theater when I wanted to to turn to one of the parents sitting there with a babbling toddler or screaming baby and demand that they reimburse me for my ticket.
    Yep, all this. And that is a completely civil reaction to an unnecessarily annoying situation.

Hauling off and slapping a kid like the guy in the news story did...is...well. A horrible example to set to any kid who you are trying to teach a lesson.

I've had friends with kids tell me that a lot of the kiddie babble and noise they've learned to tune out in their own because it just happens constantly. They don't always notice the low roar because it seems subdued to them, but is annoying the shit out of everyone else in the room.

czb

^^^ i think that is true to some extent. they babble and sing constantly, and are just learning to use modulated speaking voices.

and those are among the reasons why we haven't taken our toddlers to the movies yet. and if we did take them, it would be to a G-rated animated movie during the daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    No, it's not up to me, who is a part of society, to raise children. That's the PARENTS JOB. What do you not understand about that?
    What the heck? This sounds like you think I'm saying that parents don't have to be directly involved with raising up their kids right, because everyone else should raise their kids for them? Haha. I don't even want to ask how you made that leap in logic.

I'm saying that society and it's prevailing attitudes DO have a direct influence on children. A society that thinks its OK to be rude TO kids is going to result in kids who ARE rude to society. Kids who are rude are going to raise further rude kids. Clearly the mother in the story was a rude cunt herself or she would have taken action before anyone got pissed off enough to tell them to be quiet. Knocking a kid's tooth out of his head is not going to teach him manners, especially when he obviously isn't learning them at home.

I would have just asked them to please be quiet. If that didn't work I would talk to an usher. If that didn't work I would ask for a refund. Would I be annoyed? Hellz yeah. But then I would get on with my life. It's just a movie, not worth getting charged with a felony.
    Sarzy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    Society does raise children. They don't just spring up fully formed from a vacuum.
    What the heck? This sounds like you think I'm saying that parents don't have to be directly involved with raising up their kids right, because everyone else should raise their kids for them? Haha. I don't even want to ask how you made that leap in logic.
    The bolded part would be the quote that made me "make that leap in logic".
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

What don't you get? No one here is disagreeing that it is inappropriate and wrong to assault someone's child, regardless of how annoying they are. How is this opinion an unpopular one in this thread? Are you reading the same thread as the rest of us????

I have two children, one almost 5 and one 2. They are well behaved, they know if I take them any where in public that they best be angels and not make too much noise, run around or bother people. I understand they are kids, but I refuse to allow them to act like feral animals around other people. In fact, I can't tell you how many times people, usually elderly, have stopped me to tell me how pleasant they are. That's my fucking job, people are wonderful to them because I am doing my job of making them well behaved humans. If you are an asshole parent and raise assholes, how do you think society will treat them- like fucking assholes!!! And as a parent, if I go to an adult movie or a restaurant that is not family friendly at night, I expect not to have kids running around and disrupting everyone. It's called respect and it's not my job to teach their children about it.
    Last edited by DeadDwarf; May 25th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
    DeChayz, lurkur and southernbelle like this.

I don't necessarily think it's the role of society to parent my child, but I do hope that society is kind and helpful if my child is ever in need. To me, I think that is sort of what "it takes a village" is all about.

And my kid can be a shit. She's 18 months and the world is all about her right now. We don't get out to eat much
    memebot likes this.

I didn't call you an asshole, I said kids have bad manners because they are surrounded by assholes. Yes, parents will take their kids to public places, because well, it's ridiculous to expect them to stay home all the time and never let them out to learn how to behave properly in public in the first place. Deal with it or don't go. If you can't cope with kids in public don't go where kids might be in public. Simple as that.
    You seem to implying that there is no place that is not appropriate for any aged child to be and all of the world should rejoice in a child's mere pressence. You are just flat wrong on that. Like really really wrong. By the by, the institution of BABYSITTING was invented for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I've had friends with kids tell me that a lot of the kiddie babble and noise they've learned to tune out in their own because it just happens constantly. They don't always notice the low roar because it seems subdued to them, but is annoying the shit out of everyone else in the room.
    Oh is that lazy parenting. Part of teaching children how to be productive members of society is being aware of their surroundings and not imposing themselves on perfect strangers. I still swear by the look. Have one 17+ year old and can still stop her in her tracks from across a room with the look (could be my face, but it works).
    SHELLEE likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I still swear by the look. Have one 17+ year old and can still stop her in her tracks from across a room with the look (could be my face, but it works).
    Oh, I know the LOOK. That's all my mom had to do was give me "The Look" and I knew that if I kept acting up that I was going to get pinched on my arm. Yes pinched, not punched.

I'm 31 and I'm STILL afraid of my mom lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Oh is that lazy parenting. Part of teaching children how to be productive members of society is being aware of their surroundings and not imposing themselves on perfect strangers. I still swear by the look. Have one 17+ year old and can still stop her in her tracks from across a room with the look (could be my face, but it works).
    I so agree with you. My youngest daughter will be 2 in a few weeks and I took her to visit my husband's dying grandpa in the ICU at the hospital. I told her she had to be super quiet because people were sick and sleeping there, and for short periods of time (15 minute visits) she was silent as a mouse. Then she would have a break in the waiting room where she could talk, color at the table and walk around the room. When she was in the ICU she would put her finger to her mouth and say "shhhh" and was well behaved. My 4 year old was the same, not a sound. Obviously the child has to be at an age to understand and communicate to behave like that, but it's possibly to have non-feral children through hard work.
    McJag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Oh, I know the LOOK. That's all my mom had to do was give me "The Look" and I knew that if I kept acting up that I was going to get pinched on my arm. Yes pinched, not punched.
    i fucking hate pinching! My grandmother was a pincher. I'd rather have my ass beat with a belt than a pinch or a talking to. Fuck that pinching bullshit.
    Just Kill Me likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Obviously the child has to be at an age to understand and communicate to behave like that, but it's possibly to have non-feral children through hard work.
    I love this!

^ ugh, there's a typo! I am really hating my iphone's autocorrect, it's constantly changing the words I type! It makes me look illiterate and I swear I spend more time correcting my autocorrect to the point that it's not a time saver anymore.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information