Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Family of four stranded at airport for six days

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    If they needed a vacation, they could probably have driven or taken a bus anywhere in a 200 mile radius and seen something interesting.

There's always Megabus

And they travel out of Virginia too!
    Waterslide likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I understand, it's different what you do when you're young or single, but it's the kids in the equation that get me.
    No doubt.

I wouldn't have done it then except I was flying home from college for Christmas. I still don't know how I managed to lose my wallet - it was a 5am flight out of Denver and I was one of like 4 people in the whole airport so I know it wasn't stolen.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    There's always Megabus

And they travel out of Virginia too!
    Just out of boredom, I was sitting here thinking about all the vacation things you can do around Virginia and the surrounding states and I came up with quite a list off the top of my head. God, they could have taken Megabus to NYC even.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    No doubt.

I wouldn't have done it then except I was flying home from college for Christmas. I still don't know how I managed to lose my wallet - it was a 5am flight out of Denver and I was one of like 4 people in the whole airport so I know it wasn't stolen.
    Yeah, those things happen. I've had things disappear on me, too. If I were traveling with kids, I'd have my money situation on lockdown, it's just such a different mindset.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I can't believe there wasn't one flight available to anywhere. Go from airport to airport if that's what it takes. I wonder if SLC is like the airport here in OC (John Wayne). There is a noise abatement, so flights can't land or take off after a certain time at night (maybe 11:00) and same for the morning (again, I think it's 7:00). Maybe that's why they had no flight for 6 days. I know plenty of people that travel on buddy passes and the worst I've seen is about 12 hours, but sometimes it takes a full day of travel just to get from one side of the US to the other.

And yes, traveling with a child makes a huge difference. I make sure we have loads of food and snacks, diapers, plenty of cash and things to do. No room for error with kids.

Can't afford to travel? Don't. Traveling on a free pass sounds wonderful, but it's irresponsible to think that everything is going to go perfectly and that you won't run into a few snags. Most trips hit a bump or two, in my experience.
    Waterslide, Laurent and Rusalka like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I don't think the airline owed them anything. They were already getting a virtually free ride on the plane with the Buddy Passes. Now because they want to take a trip they can't afford, the airline should pay to feed them and put them up in a hotel until it can give them free seats on an available flight to the destination of their choice? I don't think so.

I don't care what their reason was for the trip. They never should have put their kids in this situation. With Buddy Passes, you're signing up to take seats on the first available flight, with the understanding that they may not be able to accommodate you and you'll have to add a few days to your trip. If you can't afford to do that, then traveling on a Buddy Pass isn't a viable option for you. When you throw two kids you can't feed for the duration of your wait into the mix, it's not only stupid, but negligent.

Elite Member

I really don't have pity, except for the kid whose parents were too stupid to prepare to travel with a child.

Its not like they were bumped from a flight, they chose a busy season to fly cheap, when it sounds like they really couldn't afford it.

I feel for the kids because those parents are irresponsible idiots. I would have offered the kids tickets and made the parents ride in the cargo area with the luggage.
    Rusalka and stef like this.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information