Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Family dog kills South Carolina baby

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    K, I ask because I thought babies weren't supposed to sleep in an inclined position; keep in mind I haven't borne any yet.
    The swing we had was a regular swing and a bassinet swing. You switched them out according to age. The bassinet was meant for newborns. I have many friends that had just a regular swing and the seat back was adjustable. Most of the swings out now (as did mine) could swing either front to back, or side to side. BOTH the bassinet and seat swing that was part of my setup had buckles to ensure the baby didn't slip through swing seat or roll back and forth in the bassinet (the bassinet also had a smaller rocking range, if that makes sense). Baby gear technology changes rapidly ... there are so many cool things out there now than I could have used back then.

With that being said, I'm finding it hard to imagine that the dog could rip the baby out of the swing (assuming that the baby was buckled in), even if he dismembered one on the legs first. In the swing, there is a crotch piece (similar to a high chair) ... at least there was on mine.

I think there is a lot more going on than we've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    My youngest LOVED her swing---and we let her sleep in it many many nights/naps. We were always around---typically she would be in her swing on the floor, and I would be right next to it on the couch sleeping (or trying to). Its the same as letting them sleep in their car seats.....its no different. And trust me, when you have newborns/infants and they are fussy or having a hard time sleeping---you will do anything you can to get them to sleep. Including the swing. There are many different types of swings by the way----the infant/newborn swings are great and some vibrate. Just saying...
    Yes, I miss those early baby days (seriously!). Even a really happy baby like my son (whom I'm very thankful for) will cry now and then and you try EVERYTHING you can think of to fix whatever is wrong or hold him or rock him or feed him or change him or WHATEVER. Sometimes the only thing that would work was the swing or the vibrating bouncy chairs.

Something is off here. Social services doesn't take children out of the home, especially during such a traumatic time, unless there is cause for concern.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^^ I agree with that too, especially considering both dogs were removed from the home. I wonder if they found the dad drunk or with drugs? Although maybe the cops are just suspicious like we are ... how did he sleep through THAT?

They also removed chickens along with the dogs. Some sort of vicious attack chickens I assume.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    My youngest LOVED her swing---and we let her sleep in it many many nights/naps. We were always around---typically she would be in her swing on the floor, and I would be right next to it on the couch sleeping (or trying to). Its the same as letting them sleep in their car seats.....its no different. And trust me, when you have newborns/infants and they are fussy or having a hard time sleeping---you will do anything you can to get them to sleep. Including the swing. There are many different types of swings by the way----the infant/newborn swings are great and some vibrate. Just saying...
    I have about the same thought about swings. They are the greatest - we used it for both kids. Sometimes, it seems like a gentle rhythmic motion is just what is needed for the baby to fall asleep. Depending on the model, the seats can be adjusted to recline the baby at all kinds of angles. And you can rotate the seat so that you can have either a side-to-side or back-and -forth motion. The seat is also kind of all encompassing, and with a three-point belt. Almost no way for a baby to crawl or fall out. We usually had ours in the kitchen.

Also, if the swing was moving, how was the dog able to dodge it, and get his head in there to bite the baby? Methinks the dad fell asleep, rolled over on the baby and smothered it, baby then fell to the floor next to the swing, and then the dog took over. I think the dad just said the baby was in the swing after he woke up.
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

^ Yes, I hate to say it, but some dogs do like to eat dead things.

Mine don't kill things, but they will definitely go after the cat's kills if I don't get them cleaned up and tossed over the fence. They seem to especially like rabbit. *shudders*
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Well, this is gross and morbid, but if the baby was in the swing, the dog could have seen it's little legs going back and forth and chomped down on them. You know how people play with dogs by showing it something and then pulling it back, and the dog tries to get it...

The second article said its legs were severed. Maybe the legs came off first and then it wouldn't be hard at all for a dog to get the rest out. As for screaming, I dunno... Lots of times when people are stricken with severe pain they get shock-y and don't scream. Plus, I have a feeling dad was either drunk or had some pharmaceutical assistance.

I have 2 grown kids. Both fell asleep in their swings a bajillion times, and many times I napped then too. In the same room, though.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

as did the other child in the house who also slept through it.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Also, mobile homes/trailers like theirs always have a master bedroom on one end, and then one or 2 bedrooms all the way on the other end. I'm curious which rooms everybody was in.

I've never had pets, but even without them, I wouldn't have felt comfortable napping in a different room and leaving my newborn baby unattended in another room...

I don't think a dog would have trouble getting a baby out of a swing even if it was moving. They can catch other animals that move much more rapidly and erraticaly than a swing would. Hunting instincts.
    shedevilang likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I've never had pets, but even without them, I wouldn't have felt comfortable napping in a different room and leaving my newborn baby unattended in another room...
    Me either. Even if they're in a crib or bassinet. For the first few months, if I was asleep the baby was no more than several feet away from me. Can't fathom going to lie down in another part of the house.

edit: when my daughter was a newborn, sometimes the swing was the only thing that would get her to sleep. This was back before battery powered swings. You'd crank the swing up - mine would swing for exactly 16 minutes before needing to be cranked again. I'd put the swing next to the couch, crank it up and I'd lie down on the couch. Baby and I would sleep for 16 minutes, then she'd start to cry. Crank - sleep 16 minutes - cry - crank...... over and over

One of my best friends is from Dorchester County - TINY group of towns where everyone knows everyone and gossip spreads like wildfire. I'll ask if they know more about this.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Link, please.
    Dog Bite Statistics by Breed, Types of Pit Bulls, Are Pit Bulls Dangerous

http://www.nokillnow.com/DogBiteStudies.pdf

Pit bulls and dog bite statistics by breed | Austin Pets Alive!

I also have a pamphlet from the municipal shelter I volunteer in that lists bites in NYC by breed with labs/goldens at number one with children under 14. Labs are the #1 dog breed in the US.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information