Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Family dog kills South Carolina baby

Sounds like a coverup to me, with the dog the scapegoat. There is no way anyone could sleep through a baby being injured so severely, it would scream its head off.
    rockchick likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Wow. Very Sad.

I'm having a difficult time believing the father slept through this. Babies cry for the littlest of things, he had to be screaming or crying of pain while being mauled. If the dog tore something off the baby (finger, nose) quickly, I could almost understand, but the poor thing's leg was dismembered. That couldn't have been quick. How does one sleep through that? How long would he have been sleeping, with the baby dismembered had the mother not come home when she did??

Just heartbreaking. That poor baby. I wish they wouldn't give out so many details.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

You have to wonder if the baby was already dead.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I think the dad did something to the baby, prior to putting it in the swing (shaken baby syndrome popped into my head first), and that freaked the dog out.

The only way someone could sleep through a 2mo old baby being mauled to death by a dog, is if the baby isn't making any noise at all. If a 2mo old baby, is that unresponsive, to not scream during a mauling, then that isn't a good thing either.
    rockchick likes this.

gOING TO SLEEP WHILE YOUR NEWBORN IS IN A swing? JFC people are assholes.
    Lalique likes this.

This story stinks to high heaven. I don't buy it for a second. Poor baby and poor dog. I think the dog is taking the fall.
    Lalique and Honey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    gOING TO SLEEP WHILE YOUR NEWBORN IS IN A swing? JFC people are assholes.
    I'VE DONE THAT MANY A TIME AND THE KID SURVIVED. Mind you, the swing was right next to the bed.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Or it happened rapidly. I know someone who was attacked as a child by the family dog and had an incredible amount of damage done by the time his father got the dog off of him and they were in the same room.
    But it said the dead baby wasn't discovered until the mom came home, so it's not like the dad was awakened and saw it happened and stopped the attack. The reports are claiming he slept through it.

Seems fishy especially because the photo shows that the home is a small trailer where someone probably can't sneeze without everyone knowing about it. Also the added detail that they baby was in a swing - if it was the dog, how could the dog either get the baby out of the swing or knock down the whole swing without anyone hearing? Even assuming the dad was a super hard sleeper (in which case he shouldn't be left alone in charge of young kids) there was apparently a 3 year old in the trailer too. I find it hard to believe the average toddler could also sleep through a huge ruckus like that without waking.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Possibly. But that news story is such a piece of crap that it's tough to say what all the facts are at this point. Really rubbish writing.
    shedevilang likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I think the baby was already dead, and maybe the dog panicked and tried to wake him up the best way he knew how, by biting.

I think that one woman, whose face was bitten off by her dog, passed out/had some sort of seizure and the dog started biting her face to try and wake her up.
    That's what the news stories said.

If it was aggression, out of jealousy or whatever, the dog would have shown signs. The family had known this dog for a long time, it wasn't like they brought a completely new and strange dog into the house.

And by the way, I've heard of aggression and other behavioral problems in Labradors and similar breeds. It's usually because people assume they're good dogs by nature, and don't need much training or socialization. Those dogs usually end up being dumped in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Faith is correct about pronounced-at-hospital bit.

More details below, but it is disturbing as all hell! And does anyone else put a baby to sleep in a baby-swing?
    My son is eight now, but there were plenty of times that he took naps in his swing and he was a reallllllly good baby. Sometimes you need to put them down to do other chores (like going to the bathroom!) or they're having a difficult time with teething or vaccinations and the swing is the only thing that consoles them. And once they're asleep, you don't dare move them because their sleep/nap schedule gets all screwed up because they WILL wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I'VE DONE THAT MANY A TIME AND THE KID SURVIVED. Mind you, the swing was right next to the bed.
    Vouch! My son's swing was in our master bedroom and at that stage, you are also sleep deprived. I'd lay in bed and sing to him or anything that would calm him down and then pass out after he fell asleep. During that period of time, I was also very uncharacteristically a light sleeper. When he woke, I also immediately woke. Of course, we also co-slept, which was a more desirable way to take naps, but like I said before, sometimes the swing was the only thing that worked. You do what you have to do to get the kid to sleep.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

K, I ask because I thought babies weren't supposed to sleep in an inclined position; keep in mind I haven't borne any yet.

These bloody reporters and their inconsistent information. While the New York Times and other news media are now jumping on the earlier information, i.e. the Lab-retriever mix, Sherriff Knight is now quoted as saying that they don't know what kind of dog this is:

By Jonathan Allen
    Dorchester County Sheriff Luther C. Knight said his office is still investigating what led to the death of a 2-month-old in Ridgeville on Friday morning.

No charges have been filed in the case, but Knight didn't rule out the possibility. Both dogs that were in the home at the time of the incident are being housed at the Dorchester County Law Enforcement Center on Deming Way in Summerville.

According to a statement Knight made to media at the LEC, the child's mother returned home around 11 a.m. Friday and found her 2-month-old son badly injured from an apparent mauling by one of the dogs. The infant was rushed to Summerville Medical Center by Dorchester County EMS and later died. (?!)

Knight said only one of the dogs was thought to have been involved in the mauling. Knight said he was not sure what type of dog it is. The McGrew family had taken it in for family friends, who later decided they did not want the dog, so it stayed with the McGrews. The family had owned the other dog, a lab, for several years.

Knight said the father of the child was at home when the mauling happened, but was asleep in another room with the lab.
    source: Dog Mauling Case Still Under Investigation - Mount Pleasant, SC Patch
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

A*O

Maybe the dad was unconscious from drugs/booze and would have 'slept' through the trumpets of doom. And if this is to cover up an already dead baby I don't see how you could force a dog to dismember it like that. It would require human intervention which is even more horrific to contemplate.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

My youngest LOVED her swing---and we let her sleep in it many many nights/naps. We were always around---typically she would be in her swing on the floor, and I would be right next to it on the couch sleeping (or trying to). Its the same as letting them sleep in their car seats.....its no different. And trust me, when you have newborns/infants and they are fussy or having a hard time sleeping---you will do anything you can to get them to sleep. Including the swing. There are many different types of swings by the way----the infant/newborn swings are great and some vibrate. Just saying...

This sounds very sad. I can't imagine the horror that poor baby went throught...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information