Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 380
Like Tree517Likes

Thread: Family of brain dead California girl battles hospital to keep machines on

  1. #76
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    23,972

    Default

    I vaguely knew of this story (the baby K one) but not the extent. Holy shit, that's sick.

    I'm not a person who could see myself terminating a pregnancy easily or unless extreme circumstances. And anencephaly would definitely qualify. That's just plain cruel. That woman has issues that go way beyond religion.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  2. #77
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    I support a person who wants to keep a family member alive through machines even when there is no hope - as long as they pay for the services.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  3. #78
    Elite Member Karistiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    See, I don't think I do and I think my perspective is a bit different since we don't pay for our medical care in the UK, but I suppose if this happened over here the money for the care wouldn't be an issue so I have to wonder what the outcome would be. I don't mean there should be some set time that a person is kept alive using machines and then they must be switched off. I seriously hope I never have to make the decision, but I would hope that my love for the person would outweigh the love I have for myself and I'd be brave enough to let them go... Jahi sounds like she's in a terrible state, and while I feel so very sorry for her family, the longer they keep her on those machines while her poor body decomposes the more I wonder what their motives are. I hadn't heard of that Baby K case but I have to wonder if her mother had some serious issues, rather than just being a hardcore Christian. It's just horrible all round, these poor babas.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

  4. #79
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    23,972

    Default

    I think it's like some gross human science project to keep someone alive just to see how long it takes them to rot away. Which parts degenerate first or fastest. You wanna know some things that happen? I could tell you at least a few that I've seen. Of course, I understand that most of these families who want this don't understand what they're doing. Their 'can't let go' is pathological. I have a lot of sympathy when I see families in this situation, believe me.

    That said: If I don't have a brain stem, and some family member of mine (and I know it won't be my husband, because we have discussed this to death) tries (and succeeds) in keeping me alive indefinitely until my body finally gives out and all the machines, tubes and products pumped into my body finally became all for naught, they'd better hope that the atheists are right and there's no afterlife. Cause I will come the fuck back and Poltergeist will be a Disney fairytale compared to my ghost will put their ass through. You wanted me that bad? You won't get rid of me with 10 Zelda Rubensteins and an entire vatican of Roman Catholic priests. I'll set your ouija board on fire.

    You're never too young for a living will.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  5. #80
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    20,812

    Default

    I've told my relatives, the few that they are, that if they even THINK about keeping me on life support after there's nothing left, I WILL come back and get their sorry asses, no matter what.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

    - Mark Twain

  6. #81
    Elite Member CornFlakegrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hanging with the raisin girls
    Posts
    11,967

    Default

    god, why did I google image anencephaly? Tragic.

  7. #82
    Elite Member msdeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    39,425

    Default

    poor girl. I've told my family that i don't want to be kept alive like that.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

  8. #83
    Gold Member manningmsj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I support a person who wants to keep a family member alive through machines even when there is no hope - as long as they pay for the services.
    I agree, but I also think the definition of "no hope left" can be very vague and sometimes dangerous. To me, someone in a PVS is beyond all help, but I don't necessarily think the government should be allowed to strong-arm their family into letting go unless it goes against the patient's own wishes. Family should be allowed to make decisions about quality of life, but in this case they're trying to define it. I know Terri Schiavo's parents are getting involved in this, but now that it's been brought up, I really only see the similarities to the Baby K situation. This all comes down to personhood. What is a person and when do you stop being one? IMHO, Jahi isn't a person anymore and Baby K never was.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

  9. #84
    Elite Member Lalique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The land of ice and snow
    Posts
    6,222

    Default

    Jesus.

    'Her healing begins today': Family of Jahi McMath say teenager is finally getting nutrition she needs after being declared brain dead a month ago

    13-year-old has been fitted with devices to help her breathe and get food

    Doctors 'optimistic Jahi has stabilized' since being moved to new medical facility


    The family of California teenager Jahi McMath said her 'healing begins' today after doctors successfully fitted her body with breathing and feeding tubes.

    Nailah Winkfield, her mother, claimed the 13-year-old’s body was fitted with a tracheostomy to her windpipe and a gastrostomy to her stomach this morning.

    She said the procedure meant that her daughter was getting the nutrition she needed for the first time since she was declared brain dead a month ago.


    It also meant that she could be 'kissed on the lips' without a ventilator tube being in the way.

    A spokesman for family said: 'Doctors are optimistic that her condition has stabilized and that her health is improving from when she was taken from Children's Hospital Oakland.'

    Jahi McMath's family say she's now getting needed nutrition after being 'brain dead' | Mail Online

    You can not improve the health of a corpse. Let that poor baby go and rest in peace.
    Kittylady likes this.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

  10. #85
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    20,812

    Default

    Maybe I should go get the bag my mother's ashes are in and see what I can accomplish with that too. It makes as much sense.
    southernbelle likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

    - Mark Twain

  11. #86
    Elite Member MmeVertigina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Your inner ear
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post


    It also meant that she could be 'kissed on the lips' without a ventilator tube being in the way.
    Oh, come on now! After several weeks this is something that sounds appealing because...?

  12. #87
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    Oh, come on now! After several weeks this is something that sounds appealing because...?
    Probably because as long as the body is somewhat warm and the chest rises and falls, and the body still resembles their daughter, they can fool themselves into thinking that there's someone there.

    Also, Jahi is not in a persistent vegetative state the way I understand it. I think PVS patients have a working brain stem, but are showing no activity in the frontal lobes. However, people have come out of that state before. But nobody has ever come back from Jahi's state of whole-brain death.

  13. #88
    Elite Member Karistiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    Jesus Christ, that poor baby.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

  14. #89
    Elite Member MmeVertigina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Your inner ear
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Probably because as long as the body is somewhat warm and the chest rises and falls, and the body still resembles their daughter, they can fool themselves into thinking that there's someone there.
    Surely, yes. But I am just thinking of the decomposition, kissing on the mouth doesn't seem like something that would be an obvious choice.
    Laurent likes this.

  15. #90
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    16,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    god, why did I google image anencephaly? Tragic.
    It really is. I morbidly (and very foolishly) looked at images as well and don't think I'll ever forget them, no matter how much I'd like to. I swear up and down that if I was in the position of carrying a child with this dreadful condition I would be booking in for a procedure as soon as I could.

    Sadly I think the situation with Jahi is going to run and run. The family isn't going to let go until she is quite literally coming apart, and then the lawsuits will start. What a legacy...
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

    How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona


Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Electronic voting machines vs. slot machines
    By twitchy2.0 in forum Laughs and Oddities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM
  2. Half-dead bitch Margaret Thatcher to meet brain dead bitch Sarah Palin
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 18th, 2010, 01:34 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: March 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •