Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree517Likes

Thread: Family of brain dead California girl battles hospital to keep machines on

I know I'm going to hell for this, but this whole situation reminds me of an argument I had with my husband over our broken refrigerator. He'd been saying for months that it wasn't keeping our food as cold as it should and then we woke up one day to a puddle of water and a bunch of rank fruit that I'd purchased the day before. When I made the futile assertion that it must still be functioning since the light was on, he gave me a blank stare and said, "hurray, our electricity works."

The fact that this family views a machine-assisted heartbeat as a sign of life after brain death shows their ignorance about medicine. They are not competent to make this decision and anyone indulging this fantasy of a possible recovery is either cruel or stupid. Maybe both. She is dead and these people need help to accept that. I hope that other posters are correct that the family simply wants her to "die" outside of the hospital they believe is responsible, because any facility that is accepting her into their care under the guise of treating her is only causing more damage. This girl is dead and taking her out of a state-funded hospital does not make this a victim-less crime. Wasting tax dollars on a corpse might be the immediate issue, but it's not the only part of this that's wrong. Jahi is gone and her body is due the respect of post-mortem care. Letting this girl rot away like garbage is inhumane.

My sympathy goes to the family, obviously, but mostly to Jahi. I really hope they are able to let her go before she decomposes further and they are unable to remember her as she was.
    Laurent, A*O, Just Kill Me and 2 others like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

From MSN.com:

The nearly $50,000 in private donations the family has raised since taking the case public helped cover the carefully choreographed handoff to the critical care team and transportation to the new location, Sealey said. The facility, where Jahi is expected to remain for some time, is run by a charitable organization that so far hasn't sought payment, Dolan said.
    $50K - really? It's not a lot, unfortunately, when we're talking long-term care. It's not going to last as long as they probably think.

Dolan, the family's lawyer, said Jahi's condition suffered because the hospital refused to feed her once she was declared brain dead. The family plans to pursue a federal court lawsuit alleging that Children's Hospital violated their religious and privacy rights. Winkfield has described herself as a devout Christian. A hearing in the case is scheduled for Tuesday, although the hospital has moved to have it canceled on the grounds that it has become moot with the move.

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "You would be too, if you hadn't had nutrition in 26 days and were a sick little girl to begin with."
    Or, you know, if you've been legally dead for 26 days too. That'll do it as well.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    I hope that other posters are correct that the family simply wants her to "die" outside of the hospital they believe is responsible, because any facility that is accepting her into their care under the guise of treating her is only causing more damage.
    I tend to think they are making legitimate steps to "treat" her and not just let her go away from the hospital. If the stuff about trying to hook her up to antibiotics and giving her a feeding tube are accurate, anyway. Since they've said things about improvement and recovery I believe they're doing that.

Reading the supplemental declaration of Dr. Heidi Flori from the link Kathie provided upthread, things are dismal and likely to get much worse soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    $50K - really? It's not a lot, unfortunately, when we're talking long-term care. It's not going to last as long as they probably think.
    Her mother is on GoFundMe. They're up to $55k, but that's probably a drop in the bucket of what care like this would cost.

Jahi Mcmath Fund by Latasha Nailah Winkfield - GoFundMe
    manningmsj likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Does anybody remember that story of a girl, last name was Poutre (in Mass) where her adoptive parents beat her so badly that she went into what was thought to be an irreversible coma. Her abusive step-dad fought to NOT turn off life support because once that happened he would be formally charged with murder. Romney's admin even sided with the hospital in turning off support, but when they did she lived. The last I heard, she was still in rough shape, but was able to confirm the abuse by her parents.

The problem with Jahi, by contrast is she has "whole brain death", including the brain stem. With that state, there is no basis for getting involuntary muscles working again, much less any cognitive functions.
    Brookie likes this.

Yes, once the brain stem goes to shit, so does the rest of the body because it's not being told what to do anymore.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

That poor body will shut down eventually. I hope very soon, for the sake of the poor dead child. Completely ghoulish.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

55k would more than provide for a beautiful memorial. That sounds crass, but I really mean it. I'm sure they'd have to refund the money if she died (again) before they could spend it, but obviously people are responding to this family's pain. (If it's genuine pain and not some sick cover up or ploy for publicity like people have speculated) I can't imagine the people donating would be outraged if this all stopped and the money went instead to properly honoring this girl's life. Seems like a worthier cause than robbing her of the last bit of life she still has - her dignity.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Dolan, the family's lawyer, said Jahi's condition suffered because the hospital refused to feed her once she was declared brain dead. The family plans to pursue a federal court lawsuit alleging that Children's Hospital violated their religious and privacy rights. Winkfield has described herself as a devout Christian. A hearing in the case is scheduled for Tuesday, although the hospital has moved to have it canceled on the grounds that it has become moot with the move.

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "You would be too, if you hadn't had nutrition in 26 days and were a sick little girl to begin with."

Aha, so now they're going for the money grab. Pathetic.

And just like that, all my sympathy turns to contempt.

Filing a lawsuit before they even admit the girl is dead just makes it obvious their intention was never to save Jahi's life. They're poised and ready for her to "die," so they can go ahead and pin it on the hospital. Gross.

Or they are as ignorant as they initially seemed and truly believe the hospital "killed" their daughter by not feeding her brain dead body. Even if you're wrong, you can be outraged enough to file suit.

I hope so anyway (versus this being a money grab).

In cases like this the publicity gets started, other groups latch on to the cause to try and make it a pro-life issue, and the family doesn't realized they are being used. They get caught up in the support, and allow themselves to believe there is hope. It make me sad for them too.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I am pro life but I strongly disagree with this family's decision and actions regarding this situation. I am disgusted that they would pursue a lawsuit against the hospital. Their daughter is a decomposing corpse. This isn't about sustaining a life. To expect any legitimate medical facility to waste resources playing pretend on a dead body as if it could be revived is ludicrous. Even if these people are legitimately so incompetent that they don't understand the concept of brain death, by this point Jahi's situation is undeniable, as her body is literally rotting before their very eyes. This is an indignity and I can't imagine doing such a thing to a loved one. Their insistence on keeping her in this state, especially since they obviously hope to profit from it, is disgusting.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm heartsick about what is going on here and I don't know whether the family is delusional, on the make or being led around by a greedy lawyer. I've been seeing comments popping up on articles about how there is a cap on Wrongful Death payouts but its open season for a life changing brain injury. Please, please tell me that someone isn't trying to keep up the illusion that Jahi is alive because it makes for a better payday?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I'm heartsick about what is going on here and I don't know whether the family is delusional, on the make or being led around by a greedy lawyer. I've been seeing comments popping up on articles about how there is a cap on Wrongful Death payouts but its open season for a life changing brain injury. Please, please tell me that someone isn't trying to keep up the illusion that Jahi is alive because it makes for a better payday?
    A number of articles discussing this case have cited a Pew Research poll that showed that black and Hispanic Americans are twice as likely to believe that a hospital should use all means to keep a patient on life support compared to white Americans. And that they are also more distrustful of hospitals. So, in this case, it is possible that this family is honestly driven by its personal beliefs to take this stance until they are literally out of options. See excerpt below:

A November Pew Research Center poll found substantial differences in the amount, timing and type of medical intervention that black and white Americans believe to be appropriate. In fact, only 33 percent of blacks said that there are circumstances in which patients should be allowed to die, compared with 65 percent of non-Hispanic white Americans. Another 61 percent of blacks told Pew researchers that doctors should be obligated to continue and provide any type of care possible, while just 26 percent of whites agreed.

“As large as those gaps appear, it’s also consistent with what we have long known,” said Cary Funk, a senior researcher at Pew. “Survey after survey has shown strong race and ethnic differences of opinion about end-of-life care. That much we know.”

To put it simply, while many white Americans have become increasingly concerned about the ability to reject, refuse or remove medical care, African Americans remain deeply concerned with access to care, even at the very end.
    Kittylady likes this.

I can imagine that at the first of this you are just so shocked that your child is dead and must process it but this shit show is unbelievable. Mostly truly religious people would let go and try to comfort themselves with the knowledge that their child was with God now.

I hate the this family will no doubt profit from a risky surgery that unfortunately went to the worst case scenario.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information