Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast
Like Tree647Likes

Thread: Family of brain dead California girl battles hospital to keep machines on

from a medical POV - if her body isn't decomposing because the machines keep the blood flowing and lungs moving, then why, as stated in those reports, are her nails falling off and her eyes sunken in? or is there only so much machines can do, eventually the body will do what a corpse will do? and, as kitty said, how can her face still be so plump, wouldn't you at some point become very skinny due to no movement and no solid food after a while? this story is so morbid and sad, yet fascinating.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

IANAD, I am just a morbid person who's read about these things. There are a lot of normal body functions that can be assisted or even replaced by machines, but not perfectly. They're meant for short term support while the body heals itself, as much as it can. Long term, things will start to break down, and organ systems (other than the heart and lungs) will fail.

If someone is completely immobile and on a feeding tube, they do lose body fat and muscle, but they tend to retain fluid, because moving around is necessary for good circulation. (That's why your ankles might swell if you've been sitting at a desk all day, and part of the reason people on long airplane flights are prone to blood clots.) Poor circulation is also my guess why her nails would be falling out. When the circulatory system breaks down, the parts furthest from your vital organs go first. Toes, fingers, feet, hands, legs, arms, etc. Also, malnutrition affects the things that are not really essential to life first, like hair and nail growth. It's hard to get enough nutrients into a body that can't eat, and can't move. There's several ways to do that, one is putting a tube through the abdomen directly into the stomach or small intestine, which a thick formula (like those Ensure shakes) is poured, another is Total Parental Nutrition, where a feeding solution is given directly into the bloodstream. I can't say what they're using with her, the pictures of vitamins and supplements suggests the G-tube, but her physical condition suggests TPN.

Her eyes are sinking in because she has little to no brain tissue left, and she's on her back, so gravity is pulling them down. After massive brain trauma, the tissue is normally replaced with spinal fluid, that's what happened to Terri Schiavo, but her brain damage wasn't quite as bad. Terri Schiavo still had some brain stem function, that's the part that controls basic functions like breathing and heartrate. Jahi doesn't appear to have even that left.
    sluce, Mivvi21, Janus and 3 others like this.

I googled... looks like they are still dragging this crap out. Poor kid, I know she's not really there anymore, but the way her family us behaving... ugh. RIP Jahi.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

There is another family of a toddler now fighting to keep a brain dead child on life support. It really is an ethical issue. Who decides when someone is dead? When do insurance companies get to say we refuse to pay anymore?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Normally I'd agree with you Sluce, doctors can be wrong, but in Jahi's specific case I think someone needs to intervene. From the other sites I've seen, the family's attitude is dispicable. They have other kids they need to think of, and almost 2 years later with no actual medically proven improvement... it's just sad. And the gofundme account has almost never gone to Jahi's actual medical care.
    Janus likes this.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

i wondered if there were any updates and just checked up on the FB page... this poor girl or what's left of her turned 16 last year and, additional to the manicure, now has to endure horrific ear jewelry as well.

link to the birthday post including pictures: https://www.facebook.com/keepJahiMcm...type=3&theater
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

She can go on for years like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I was wondering about this case the other day too. Sad for the siblings.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I should not have ventured into the comments.

"God is awesome. He's the only doctor we need."

God ain't the one keeping the machines on, lady.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

How is it she hasn't lost any weight after being on a liquid diet for 3 years? I'm not being a cunt, seriously asking if any of you medical peeps know

ETA: never mind; I researched the specifics. I still can't believe she can maintain that much weight though....

^^I imagine it's not so much weight, but water retention/inflammation from being on fluids for so long...

i can't believe 2016 went by and killed everything in sight, but zombie jahi is still plugged in and getting manicures. wtf?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^ Even 2016 thought she was already dead.
    sputnik, SHELLEE, Laurent and 6 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

The people in the comments are batshit. One of them said all Jahi needs is a kiss from her sister and she will wake up like Sleeping Beauty did. Totally delusional.

I say to all of those "Jesus will save her!" folks is let's turn off the machines and see what happens.

Alive yet?
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Thread Information