Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree517Likes

Thread: Family of brain dead California girl battles hospital to keep machines on

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    Wait, I just re-read that. She entered puberty? How is that possible?
    It doesn't say puberty the filing claims menses. This could be accomplished by giving estrogen or progesterone or fish oil as a supplement (although fish oil wouldn't actually be menstrual bleeding).

Im so sorry about not giving any new updates, I was locked out of this account :-( Once again thank you all for supporting Jahi and most importantly praying for her. Jahi is still sleep but physically stable! No pic lines, no catheters, no I.V, she maintains all her vitals on her own, no medicines needed. I am giving her lots of vitamins and fish oil thru her feeding tube. She moves around so much that we have to put pillows around her bed. She responds to pain, cold and touch. She can turn her head from left to right and her ventilator is set to room air so she is not getting any extra oxygen like she was before. Her skin is flawless and she gets a mani and pedi every week done by me (mom) She gets physical therapy three times a week and never has a stiff joint! All organs are healthy and fully functional! She is such a fighter! Remember she didnt get any nutrition for 28 days from the other hospital and she recovered from that quickly. Prayer is so powerful! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I tell Jahi everyday about all the love and support she has been receiving from people all over the world. I am truelly amazed by your kindness. God bless you all
    Jahi Mcmath Fund by latasha spears-winkfield - GoFundMe

You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids:
    Incidence not known
    • Bleeding gums
    • cough
    • coughing up blood
    • difficulty with breathing or swallowing
    • dizziness
    • fast or irregular heartbeat
    • headache
    • hives, itching, or skin rash
    • increased menstrual flow or vaginal bleeding
    • nosebleeds
    • paralysis
    • prolonged bleeding from cuts
    • puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
    • red or black, tarry stools
    • red or dark brown urine
    • sweating
    • tightness in the chest
    • unusual tiredness or weakness
    Fish Oil Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com
    Could Fish oil cause Metrorrhagia (Vaginal bleeding between periods) - eHealthMe.com

Obviously I don't know, but it's not necessarily her period, and since fish oil can cause vaginal bleeding and she's getting fish oil, it could be a case of mistaken cause? Also thankfully for the shreds of what's left of Jahi's dignity the docs don't go into detail but they just state 'the beginning of menstruation' and did not indicate anything about regularity or irregularity and whatnot. So she may have just had some bleeding which could have since stopped (ie. not regular cycling). I wonder if they bothered to get any hormonal testing done, or just assumed blood + vagina = period?

Given they're presenting a video from May and a retouched photo (or a heavily made up Jahi) as recent proof of anything, I don't feel like giving them any benefit of any doubts here.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Whoa, that mri is not normal at all. Not even close.
    Seriously!!! I have very little knowledge of these things and even I could see how off it is.

And regarding the quote: "the information provided regarding her moving to commands is not compelling. The fact that she's completely covered except for her head and feet when the "she moves her foot!" part was recorded may conceal a nerve stimulator used to cause the twitch seen. 40 seconds is a long delay and the movement could represent random muscle movement. I'd have to see several minutes of footage, if not more, to be satisfied that the movement observed was voluntary."

...is exactly what occurred to me. So depressing, this whole story.
    Brookie likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    the lawyer's suit tells me everything i need to know about this case.
    also, dude, that jacket stopped fitting about 20 pounds ago.
    Janus, *DIVA!, BoogsBun and 13 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Seriously!!! I have very little knowledge of these things and even I could see how off it is.

And regarding the quote: "the information provided regarding her moving to commands is not compelling. The fact that she's completely covered except for her head and feet when the "she moves her foot!" part was recorded may conceal a nerve stimulator used to cause the twitch seen. 40 seconds is a long delay and the movement could represent random muscle movement. I'd have to see several minutes of footage, if not more, to be satisfied that the movement observed was voluntary."

...is exactly what occurred to me. So depressing, this whole story.
    When my dad was in a coma following his last stroke, a few hours prior to his death, he was twitching like a house-a-fire. Involuntary leg and arm movements (mostly leg) nearly constantly. Has nothing to do with responding to commands.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

They just need to do the test that ends all tests. Take her off of her ventilator, and see what happens. WE know what would happen, and I'm pretty sure THEY know what would happen.

New season of Walking Dead starts soon.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    When my dad was in a coma following his last stroke, a few hours prior to his death, he was twitching like a house-a-fire. Involuntary leg and arm movements (mostly leg) nearly constantly. Has nothing to do with responding to commands.
    That's called terminal restlessness. It's perfectly normal within the last few days before death, though it tends to be distressing for family to witness.
    Brookie likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That MRI is mega interesting to me. As an aside my nephew was born without a corpus collosum. Neurologically, he's 99% fine.

Bronze Member

Doctor: No evidence of life in brain-dead girl

An October 2014 photo of Jahi McMath taken by her family. The Dolan Law Firm/CBS San Francisco

OAKLAND, Calif. -- A court-appointed expert has told a California judge he sees no evidence that a 13-year-old girl is alive 10 months after a coroner signed her death certificate.
    The opinion was provided Monday in the case of Jahi McMath by Stanford University pediatric neurologist Paul Fisher.

Play Video
    Brain-dead teen, Jahi McMath, released from hospital to mother

Jahi was declared brain dead on Dec. 12 after she went into cardiac arrest following surgery to treat sleep apnea. Her family wants Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo to issue what would be an unprecedented order declaring her to be alive after being declared brain dead.
    A hearing had been scheduled for Thursday, but it has been postponed as the attorney representing McMath's mother seeks time to respond to Fisher's finding.
    "There wasn't time to react to this letter," attorney Chris Dolan said Wednesday night. "Given the fact that we were up against the time crunch ... I thought that we were going to be in essence sandbagged."
    Dolan objected to Fisher's appointment as an independent expert, arguing that the doctor has a conflict of interest because he was one of the physicians who agreed with the brain-death diagnosis in December.
    Thursday's hearing wasn't immediately rescheduled, and Dolan has asked for a four-week delay so his experts and Fisher can discuss the results and come up with a plan for more tests that would satisfy them all.
    This undated file photo provided by the McMath family and Omari Sealey shows Jahi McMath.

McMath family/AP
    "I just wanted to give these doctors a chance to talk," Dolan said.

Dolan also said in a press statement that the McMath family would hold a prayer vigil for Jahi at Yeshua Our Lord church in Oakland, CBS San Francisco reported.
    Five other medical professionals who performed new tests on the teenager in New Jersey last month said the girl showed signs of brain function.
    In his letter to the judge, Fisher replied that the tests either were irrelevant to determining brain death in a child or not carried out in accordance with accepted medical standards.
    "None of the declarations provide evidence that Jahi McMath is not brain dead," he wrote.
    Jahi has been kept on a ventilator and feeding tubes since she suffered severe complications from the surgery. Fisher examined her then at the request of the judge while her family fought a hospital's decision to remove the equipment.
    Fisher was one of three doctors who declared her brain-dead after finding no neurological activity.
    Dolan has given the judge the results of a Sept. 1 electroencephalogram that a researcher at a medical school in Cuba said showed electrical activity in Jahi's brain.
    Fisher, in his letter to the judge, said the new test was performed in an apartment, not a health care setting, and the recorded activity could have come from elsewhere in the girl's body or even the environment. Regardless, he said, a flat reading on the exam is not a prerequisite for brain death.
    Fisher similarly took issue with the brain scan that allegedly showed blood flowing to Jahi's brain. He said the test doctors and researchers from the nonprofit International Brain Research Foundation used was incorrect and would not have demonstrated such blood flow.
    Fisher also did not attach much significance to videos showing the girl moving her hands and feet in apparent response to her mother's commands.
    Jahi's mother, Latasha Winkfield, has worked to keep her daughter's organs functioning on life support, first at Children's Hospital in Oakland and later at an undisclosed medical facility, and now a house in New Jersey. In June, CBS station KPIX 5 reported that McMath was in a Catholic children's hospital in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
    Unlike California, New Jersey law allows families to reject a declaration of brain death on religious grounds and allows brain-dead patients to remain connected to ventilators.

Jahi McMath case: Expert rejects evidence of life in brain-dead girl - CBS News

Bronze Member

Original Consultation Note from Dr. Fisher: http://media.nbcbayarea.com/document...cted+Rpt_1.pdf

Statement by Dr. Fisher 6th October: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nacvrwtpa5..._File.pdf?dl=0

Bronze Member

"Cruelest Stunt?" Battle Over Brain-Dead Girl Broadens Into Battle Over Ballot Measure

The family of the Bay Area girl declared brain dead last year after surgery wants a judge to declare her "not dead,” but a PR strategist who used to work for the hospital says the family lawyer’s effort is a publicity stunt to boost a statewide proposition on next month’s ballot to let medical malpractice plaintiffs collect bigger payouts. Jodi Hernandez reports.

The family of the Bay Area girl declared brain dead last year after surgery wants a judge to declare her "not dead,” but a PR strategist who used to work for the hospital says the family lawyer’s effort is a publicity stunt to boost a statewide proposition on next month’s ballot to let medical malpractice plaintiffs collect bigger payouts.
    Chris Dolan, the lawyer for the family of Jahi McMath, who was declared brain dead after tonsil surgery last year at the age of 13, has given $25,000 to the campaign for Prop. 46, a ballot measure that would boost the cap on verdicts from medical malpractice lawsuits from $250,000 to over $1 million.

But Sam Singer, the publicist who used to work as a spokesman for the hospital that treated Jahi and is now speaking out against Dolan, also has a stake in that campaign. Singer is paid as a publicist to work for the "No on 46" campaign, aiming to keep malpractice caps at their current level.
    Describing the effort as the "cruelest publicity stunt of all-time," Singer theorized Dolan is seeking a judge’s order to declare the 13-year-old girl “not dead” at a court hearing on Oct. 9 to bring awareness to “things that can go wrong at a hospital.”[IMG]http://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/images/601*163/dolan3.jpg[/IMG] Cal Access
    Singer noted the timing of Dolan’s legal request – about a month before the November elections. Secretary of State campaign finance records show the Dolan Law Firm gave $25,000 to the “Yes on Prop. 46, Your Neighbors for Patient Safety, a Coalition of Consumer Attorney’s and Patient Safety Advocates” in January.
    If Prop. 46 passes, the cap on medical negligence lawsuits will increase “for inflation” from when it was first passed in 1975. In today’s terms, that would amount to about $1.1 million.
    At a news conference on Friday, Dolan answered why he was seeking to declare Jahi “not dead.”
    "This is no ruse,” Dolan said. “This is the truth."

Dolan presented what he says are the findings of independent brain research experts who performed brain imaging and other tests on Jahi at Rutgers University Medical School.
    Jahi’s mother, Nailah Winkfield, said she finally has proof her daughter isn’t brain dead. She shared photos of the girl, appearing nourished and full of color, and videos that show Jahi apparently responding to commands to move her feet and hands. However, NBC Bay Area was not able to independently verify the videos.
    Jahi's family filed a court petition Friday, asking a judge to reverse the girl's death certificate.

Dolan said Jahi has profound brain damage, but there is a difference between being brain damaged and brain dead. “This is unequivocal proof,” he said, pointing to an MRI photo.
    Before the conference, Jahi’s uncle, Omari Sealey, told NBC Bay Area that “there are a lot of different reasons we’ve done what we’ve done. Sam can say anything he wants.”
    Dolan has not filed a lawsuit against UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland, and has previously said that his fight for Jahi is not about money. He did indicate this week, however, to reporters that Jahi could be eligible for state benefits if her death status is changed.
    NBC Bay Area Legal Analyst Steven Clark said it would be very "unlikely" that a judge would rule that Jahi is now alive, but acknowledged it would be "fascinating."

If Jahi were "resurrected," Clark said, that would force the state to pay for her care — even, perhaps, back at Children's Hospital in Oakland. "This is a huge economic issue," he said.
    This week, on behalf of Jahi’s mother, Latasha “Nailah” Winfield, Dolan filed a petition in Alameda County Superior Court for Judge Evelio Grillo to determine that the girl is “not brain dead,” even though the same judge had declared her dead on Dec. 24, 2013.
    Dolan cited that Jahi’s circulatory system and “all her organs continue to function and world class experts in neurology and brain death” will provide evidence that the one-time 8th-grader at E.C. Reems Academy in Oakland “no longer meets the definition of brain death because she has 'neuralgic function.'”

Dolan wrote in his petition that Jahi has electrical activity in her brain, responds to her mother’s verbal commands, and has started menstruating. All are signs, he wrote, that the teen's brain death was “not irreversible.”
    Dolan’s experts have not been vetted by the judge, and it's unclear how Grillo will weigh their testimony.
    In his tentative ruling, however, Grillo said there are ways someone can amend a death record. But he felt that his court was not the right place to do so, suggesting that Dolan was not suing the right people and needed to find the proper agency to change Jahi's death status.

As of Friday, Dolan had not filed a petition to amend Jahi’s death certificate with the California Dept. of Public Health Vital Records. And the Alameda County Coroner had also not been served with any papers.

Read more: Reviving Jahi McMath Case "Cruelest Publicity Stunt of All Time": Ex-Hospital Spokesman | NBC Bay Area

Now it seems Dolan is making the rounds of the Christian news outlets. There's an interview with him at this link:
    http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/October/A-Heartbeat-a-Death-Certificate--a-Fight-for-One-Girls-Life/

Of course framing it as a "Good Christian family" vs the big bad evil Doctors who want to 'decide who lives and who dies."

I really don't like this guy at all. His greasy hair, his suit that doesn't fit, the unprofessionally written filings (full of spelling/grammatical/punctuation errors, incorrect medical and english words etc..), his smarmy pandering to the Christians to get them 'on side'. I guess just the kind of lawyer you'd stereotypically expect to take a case like this, and use a dead kid to further your own agenda. Then again, her mother and uncle aren't much better.

Of course at the bottom of the Christian article there's a link to the GoFundMe page.
    Last edited by Janus; October 10th, 2014 at 03:37 AM.

I don't recall a case EVER in the history of well EVER, of a death cert being reversed or in Jahi's case have it struck from the registrar's archives because the patient was alive after 10 months of being declaired dead. I've only heard MRI results from their Atty and not a medical professional. NOW, Mama Nails has a team of 3 or 4 doctors from some institute (i'm too lazy to look), that have all said that Jahi is indeed alive. Well Well, come to find out that one or all have had their license yanked in some way. One of them had his license taken away due to having an affair with a few of his patients. he is a neurologist. Here is a very interesting blog i came across yesterday. It's run by a Trauma Doc and a few other medical professionals have piped up in there.

Stories from the trauma bay: Jahi McMath - Here we go again
    Janus and Kathie_Moffett like this.

I'm sure none of this latest evidence will make any kind of difference for the family whatsoever. I wonder how much this has all cost them (or somebody) so far.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

good cows, they haven't buried her YET?!!!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Just my two cents, but if they declare he "alive" or reverse the death certificate, the parents could then get life insurance on her...and at her age, they could do so without a medical exam from most insurance companies. They may be looking for a payday!
    *DIVA! likes this.

Thread Information