Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree517Likes

Thread: Family of brain dead California girl battles hospital to keep machines on

Screw death, full stop. I don't believe in it, therefore it isn't so.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Screw you, brain death! I rebuke thee.

While I'm at it, I'm gonna go ahead and object to getting older and fatter. And.... I'm tired of trimming my toenails, nose hair and shaving my legs goddammit. I'm going to object to those things continuing to grow. And bring legal action against anyone who tells me I have to accept otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    Screw death, full stop. I don't believe in it, therefore it isn't so.
    Finally! Some sense up in this thread.....

So is she still going on life support, or what?!?

Dead yet?
    msdeb and sputnik like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm guessing that they still haven't had the miraculous recovery they were hoping for. I almost feel bad for this family as I'll bet that their publicity whoring lawyer is going to jump ship pretty soon as all that corpse maintenance is going to burn through whatever donations they got pretty quickly.

Edit: I just looked on a FB page dedicated to prayers for Jahi and it's the same vague update over and over; "She's improving, don't stop praying, God creates miracles" with the occsional psalm thrown in. /SMH
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^^^^

Does anyone know how long decomposition takes in a case like this? I mean, how long can machines stave off the inevitable? Not to be crass, but won't she be mush soon, if she isn't already?
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

I don't even watch to imagine what shape this child is in at this point. I am afraid they are in big time denial and it scares me to think how they will react when they do take her off the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    ^^^^

Does anyone know how long decomposition takes in a case like this? I mean, how long can machines stave off the inevitable? Not to be crass, but won't she be mush soon, if she isn't already?
    Thinking back to the story of Marlise Munoz (the brain dead pregnant woman in Texas). She was kept alive from the end of November until the end of January. Her husband said her bones were brittle and breaking and that she smelled like death. That was after two months.

I found this from a doctor who was treating her an explained how her body was deteriorating. It was noted that she was pronounced dead on December 21st. Long story short, the family has not taken her off life support yet.

This was from Feb 11th. Analyzing the Jahi McMath case
    From the 2nd paragraph:
    "So what is brain death? It means no function at the level of the brain stem or above. Function stops where the spinal cord joins the base of the brain. How do we know somebody is brain dead? There are a series of standard and relatively low-tech bedside tests to determine that. We first make sure the patient has a normal body temperature and has no sedating drugs in their system. There should be no purposeful response to any stimuli. The muscles are flaccid. Then we test for brain stem reflexes. One of these is response of the pupils to light — there should be none. There needs to be absence of normal movement of the eyes to motion of the head (called doll’s eyes) or no movement when we put cold water on the ear drum (called cold calorics); both of these measure the same reflex. There should be no blink reflex, called the corneal reflex, when a wisp of cotton is brushed on the eyeball. There should be no gag reflex when we stimulate the back of the throat with a wooden tongue depressor. Finally, the last test of brain stem function is the apnea test: we allow the blood carbon dioxide level to rise and look for any effort to take a breath. Rising blood carbon dioxide level is a strong trigger to the normal brain to breathe, and failure to do so means this ability is lost."

Then I found this link from a comment someone made.
    http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/HeidiFlori.pdf
    Shinola likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

That poor girl. Her parents are STILL begging for money on gofundme. Christ.

ETA: And all her FB posts kep satying is that she has improved. WTF really?? not according to that dosctor's testimony, poor thing is watsting.

^Ugh, your profile pic Willam? Your tone seems very pointed right now.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Oh yes, that is my gurl Willam SORRYBOUTIT!

From the San Jose Mercury News:

OAKLAND -- More than six weeks after her brain-dead daughter was moved from Children's Hospital Oakland to an undisclosed location, the mother of Jahi McMath broke her silence in a letter released Wednesday on Twitter.
    The 13-year-old Oakland girl was declared brain-dead Dec. 12 after when she developed complications following a Dec. 9 tonsil, nose and throat surgery for sleep apnea and went into cardiac arrest. The case drew international attention as the family battled with hospital officials for weeks and then went to court, seeking to keep the girl on a ventilator and to have breathing and feeding tubes surgically inserted.
    [IMG]file:///C:\Users\lbugar\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]
    Nailah Winkfield reacts during a press conference organized by local clergy regarding her daughter, 13-year-old patient Jahi McMath, outside Children's Hospital Oakland on Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013, in Oakland, Calif. McMath, who doctors declared brain dead after complications from a tonsillectomy, is being kept on life support until a court-appointed doctor can examine her. (D. Ross Cameron/Bay Area News Group) ( D. ROSS CAMERON )
    Weeks of negotiations and courtroom battles between the family's attorney and hospital officials finally yielded a deal to move the girl from the hospital. On Jan. 5, she was taken to an undisclosed out-of-state facility, where her family said she had remained on a ventilator.
    Once Jahi was moved on Jan. 5, her family went silent. The letter, released by Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey, through his Twitter account, thanks those who supported the family through donations and prayer during their ordeal.
    "So many people have asked how we are doing and if Jahi is alive," wrote Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield. "This has and continues to be an unbelievably difficult time for me as a mother and for us as a family.
    "However, I have not been alone. I have been surrounded by the love, support and prayers of so many kind people. Despite what people say about my daughter being dead and how I must be ignorant not to get that, I can tell you that she is much better physically since she has left Children's Hospital and I see changes that give me hope."
    Sealey declined to give specifics on Jahi's condition, or say where she is.
    "(Jahi's mother) wanted me to get the letter out because there's been a lot of speculation," Sealey said. "There's been a lot of people, supporters, wanting to know what's going on. We want people to know (Jahi is) OK."
    Multiple medical experts have repeatedly said no medical tools or procedures can bring Jahi back from brain death, and that organ failure is likely to occur at some point, even with Jahi on a ventilator and a feeding tube.
    In the letter, Winkfield said it was because of supporters' "unselfish generosity" that she was able to move Jahi from Children's Hospital Oakland before doctors there removed her from her ventilator. Thousands of dollars in donations offset the cost of medical transportation to Jahi's new home.
    "If I had it my way, I would say thank you to each and every person in their native language so they could understand how much I appreciate them for all their support and, most importantly, prayers," Winkfield wrote.

Most of the comments appear to be of the opinion that the mother has "broken her silence" because they have run out of funds.

This case haunts me. I can't stop thinking about the poor little girl and her situation.

^^^^
    if it makes you feel better, that little girl isn't there anymore. It's just her body being kept artificially 'alive' by machines.
    Flygirl likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

dead body still not buried?
    Flygirl likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information