Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree517Likes

Thread: Family of brain dead California girl battles hospital to keep machines on

I keep seeing this pop up so I come here looking for an update Next time I'll bring a bag of TCHO chocolate (it's really good), you know, for the s'mores.
    ETA, here you go: I hate to drop it off and run, but...
    sluce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    I know you're not talking about me (well, I hope anyway - I did say a few times that I know the fiery pits are waiting), but I just want to state for the record that my username has nothing to do with the football or the Spud Dynasty.
    LOL - nothing to do with you. A dear member *cough Levitt cough* is insanely in love with the taterhead manning and is going as far as crossing the pond to come here in hopes of landing the loser.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    LOL - nothing to do with you. A dear member *cough Levitt cough* is insanely in love with the taterhead manning and is going as far as crossing the pond to come here in hopes of landing the loser.
    Ah. Well, I hope it works out for her... So long as they keep any future french fries out of the NFL.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Can we ALL agree that TaterHead Manning is not allowed? Which means Levitt will have to catch the next bus...
    See, you're as bad as me, you love mentioning him! Did you think my Manning radar wouldn't spike on this thread?

I will be on the next bus...there won't be room for Peyton's tater in the bus with all you bitches

p.s Peyton would love me! I'm fabulous.
    Lobelia likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    See, you're as bad as me, you love mentioning him! Did you think my Manning radar wouldn't spike on this thread?

I will be on the next bus...there won't be room for Peyton's tater in the bus with all you bitches

p.s Peyton would love me! I'm fabulous.
    My ex boyfriend met Peyton (and a few other players)at a bar, the year he got drafted with the Colts. He said that Peyton was the nicest guy, and said they talked with him for about 20-30 minutes.
    levitt likes this.

That’s the cap that was imposed in 1975 under the Medical Injury Compensation Reform
    Act
    , or MICRA. That’s the law that fixed the
    value of your child, your elderly parent, your stay-at-home spouse, at a maximum
    of $250,000, even though a jury has found that your loved one died through no
    fault of their own as the result of medical negligence–not because of the “luck
    of the draw” or an unfortunate medical condition, but because of an avoidable
    mistake by a medical professional trained to know better.
    How much is a life worth? More than $250,000? « Protect Consumer Justice

I've been reading articles where this particular law is brought up in reference to Jahi. Many are theorizing the family is looking for a bigger payday. Apparently, the monetary limit for death due to medical negligence in CA is $250,000; however, if one suffers injury or brain damage as a result of negligence, there is no limit. I hope this is not true, but with this story nothing would surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    My ex boyfriend met Peyton (and a few other players)at a bar, the year he got drafted with the Colts. He said that Peyton was the nicest guy, and said they talked with him for about 20-30 minutes.
    Thanks so much for sharing, Boogs I met a guy in a bar back in October, who had attended Notre Dame and he told me the college had some presentation a few years ago, and Peyton was invited as a special guest. In the evening, apparently Peyton called people from the college and said he was bored and wondered if any of the organisers wanted to go for dinner. So this guy's best friend had dinner with Peyton. He too said he was the nicest guy.

He also said his friend mentioned that it didn't take too long for women to appear in the bar/restaurant all dolled up, lurking nearby
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I read something today about Jahi recently regaining function of her hypothalamus. Her body is now regulating it's own temperature, an ability she had previously lost. I know, I know...link link. I'll go look.

I Googled it and saw it in a link from somewhere called RenewAmerica, which from what I understand is a fundamentalist Christian site. I haven't seen it said that her brain is functioning anywhere else except that site.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^^^^^

Did they quote that information from actual doctors or her family's shitty lawyer? I don't buy it either way, but I'm curious about how information like this gets reported on when it's almost certainly bullshit. Don't they need somekind of evidence or a professional source to verify it before they put it out there? Is there really some batshit doctor saying this girl's coming back from the dead?

ETA: I just skimmed the article. I see he's a doctor, but he isn't involved in her case nor does he credit the information to anyone who is. He just sounds like an asshole with an agenda and the fact that he's a doctor just makes it worse.
    Last edited by manningmsj; January 19th, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

I skimmed it just now and what they seem to be saying is not that her hypothalamus is necessarily working now, just that her hypothalamus was functioning after she was declared brain dead, because her body was self-regulating temperature according to "observers" and "at least one doctor." None of which I saw them name or quote in my quick scan of it.

Jahi McMath's functioning hypothalamus: some social and scientific considerations
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I skimmed it just now and what they seem to be saying is not that her hypothalamus is necessarily working now, just that her hypothalamus was functioning after she was declared brain dead, because her body was self-regulating temperature according to "observers" and "at least one doctor." None of which I saw them name or quote in my quick scan of it.

Jahi McMath's functioning hypothalamus: some social and scientific considerations
    This is what i took away from it as well. That site seems heavily biased.

i catched up on this story yesterday and was almost sure that they must've let her go eventually by page 10, but apparently not.

newest article:

Jahi McMath family attorney: 'They are not fools. They know the odds'

• Email

Christopher Dolan, attorney for Nailah Winkfield, mother of Jahi McMath, speaks during a court hearing in Oakland on Dec. 23, 2013. (Kristopher Skinner / Associated Press)
    Related photos »
    By Jason Wells January 21, 2014, 6:09 a.m.

The attorney for the family of Jahi McMath is defending their actions in a new op-ed that criticizes "self-righteous commenters" and praises the 13-year-old brain-dead girl's mother for her courage despite "incendiary, hateful public rhetoric."

The op-ed by San Francisco attorney Christopher Dolan, published in the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday, comes after medical ethicists and physicians have criticized the decision to keep Jahi on a ventilator despite her being declared brain dead on Dec. 12 -- a decision affirmed by at least three neurologists.
    Medical experts have said the decision to allow the family to transfer the girl from Children's Hospital Oakland to an undisclosed facility has only perpetuated misconceptions of brain death that have dogged the Jahi case since her family went public.
    RELATED: McMath attorney: Jahi's family aren't fools; they deserve better
    Neurologists told an Alameda County Superior Court judge that Jahi was unable to breathe on her own, had no blood flow to her brain and had no sign of electrical activity three days after she underwent surgery Dec. 9 to remove her tonsils, adenoids and uvula at Children's Hospital Oakland and went into cardiac arrest, causing extensive hemorrhaging in her brain.
    The judge issued an order keeping Jahi on a ventilator until her body could first be transferred to the county coroner, and then to a private facility.
    Dolan, though, has been widely criticized as having fed false hope to the McMath family that somehow their daughter -- who was issued a death certificate by the Alameda County coroner -- will recover.
    PHOTOS: The Jahi McMath case
    In his op-ed, Dolan hit back, contending that those who have "attacked" Jahi's family do so arguing several "simplistic, uninformed points: The family is either stupid, misled by their lawyer or trying to exploit the system."

He noted that elsewhere in the U.S., such as New Jersey, there are personal religious exemptions for those who object to brain death, suggesting Jahi's case would not have been such a spectacle had it occurred there.
    But experts point out that the money the McMath family received from supporters to transfer their daughter will eventually run out, and no amount of artificial help will stop Jahi's body from decomposing.

Bodies of the brain-dead have been maintained on respirators for months or, in rare cases, years. However, once cessation of all brain activity is confirmed, there is no recovery, said Rebecca S. Dresser, professor of law and ethics in medicine at Washington University in St. Louis, to The Times.
    Even so, Dolan wrote that the McMath family "are not fools."
    "They know the odds," he wrote. "They want time, free from the threats of the hospital to pull the plug."
    ALSO:
    Santa Ana businesses offer reward for leads in nightclub beating
    Alhambra vice principal quits after YouTube sex abuse allegation
    Jahi McMath family attorney: 'They are not fools. They know the odds'
    jason.wells@latimes.com
    Twitter: @jasonbretwells | Facebook | Google+

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times

"This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

elsewhere in the U.S., such as New Jersey, there are personal religious exemptions for those who object to brain death

Sweet, didn't know you could do this! I'll absolutely object to brain death if it happens to me!

Every time I see that idiot lawyer's name, I think "Dolan pls" -- from the Dolan and Gooby comics--

Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Screw you, brain death! I rebuke thee.

While I'm at it, I'm gonna go ahead and object to getting older and fatter. And.... I'm tired of trimming my toenails, nose hair and shaving my legs goddammit. I'm going to object to those things continuing to grow. And bring legal action against anyone who tells me I have to accept otherwise.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information