Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Exotic snake suspected in boys' deaths in Canada

Or one at a time. I don't know. The thing was huge.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

mjw
    Elite Member

Tragic new photos emerged today showing little Connor and Noah Barthe scrubbing out the cage believed to have housed the 14-foot python that strangled them in their sleep.

The pictures of the shirtless boys, age 4 and 6, in their underwear were posted on their mother's Facebook page. Mandy Trecartin also posted a picture of the children playing in a smaller glass cage at the pet store-cum-apartment in Campellton, New Brunswick, Canada.

The pictures have emerged as experts revealed they believe the 14-foot python, described as 'vicious' by people who have seen it, may have been lured by the scent of animals on the children.

Connor and Noah had been playing with small animals, including goats, dogs and cats just hours earlier after a visit to a farm.

The owner of Little Ray's Zoo in Ottawa said snakes like the African Rock Python that killed the boys on Monday morning do not visually recognize their prey - but if the boys smelled like food, it could serve as a realistic explanation for the attack - which has left experts puzzled.

'Sadly, the snake could have mistaken them for a food item, which they weren't', he said.

Meanwhile, it has also emerged that the snake's owner, Jean-Claude Savoie, could face manslaughter and criminal negligence charges.

It is unclear if he had a permit to keep the 100 pound African Rock python - which are banned in the province except under very strict circumstances.

He housed the reptile in a glass enclosure in his apartment, just yards from where the boys were sleeping, and not in his shop which had locked cages and pens.

He also knew the snake was aggressive and unused to humans - one reptile expert who saw it six weeks ago said it was 'vicious and very nervous around people', but Savoie apparently failed to take adequate safety measures to ensure the python would not escape.

It was revealed yesterday that the snake slithered through a hole in its glass enclosure, then up into a ventilation shaft in the ceiling, before that collapsed under its weight and the serpent fell onto the sleeping boys - who had come over for a sleepover after a day out with Savoie and his son at the family farm.

Police in New Brunswick are said they were waiting for autopsy reports on the children before deciding whether charges are brought.

They confirmed that the Reptile Ocean property - where crocodiles and other exotic animals were also kept, is being investigated as a 'crime scene'.

And sources said the pictures of Savoie's apparently relaxed attitude to animal care - including the pictures of the boys playing in their tanks, would form part of their inquiries.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police revealed that they ordered the python destroyed on Tuesday. Its carcass has been taken to a local zoo where herpetologists will perform a necropsy.

Police also want to know why the noise of the snake falling through the apartment's ventilation system onto the mattress where the boys were sleeping did not rouse Savoie.

He and his young son were asleep in another part of the apartment.

He faces further questioning today.

Autopsies are being carried out on the boys, but it is believed they were constricted by the snake.

Details of their deaths came as relatives paid tribute to the adorable brothers and recounted their last happy day together before the tragedy.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, the boys' great-uncle, David Rose, said they spent the day with the snake's owner, Jean-Claud Savoie, and his son - enjoying a barbeque and swimming at the family farm.

'They enjoyed life to a maximum, their last day was spent playing with friends,' Rose said, adding that the two families stocked up on groceries before heading to Savoie's farm.

'There they played with llamas, and goats and horses, they played with dogs and cats in the hay loft,' he said. 'They went for a ride with Jean-Claude on his tractor and he even let them steer. They had a super day.'

The two families enjoyed the evening together until around midnight on Sunday, when the boys went to sleep.

'That's the type of life they had and that's the type of life we want to remember,' Mr Rose said tearfully.

The town's deputy mayor Ian Comeau said the boys' mother was 'devastated'. He added: 'She was woken up and told that her two kids had been strangled by a snake in the middle of the night.'

He said the small town of 7,500 was on an 'emotional rollercoaster' where 'there's sadness at the loss of two young lives and there's anger too'.

A tearful Roland Trecartin, the boys' grandfather, added to MailOnline: 'We're all in shock. The boys were sweethearts. Lovely, lovely children.'

Mr Savoie, earlier described how he found the boys at 6.30am on Monday and at first thought the boys were just sleeping.

'They were sleeping,' he said in an interview. But 'they didn't even open their eyes or nothing. I thought they were sleeping until I [saw] the hole in the ceiling. I turned the lights on and I [saw] this horrific scene.'

He explained: '[The snake] went through a ventilation system. I don't understand how it did it. It went through the ceiling... and the snake fell into the living room from the ceiling.'

Mr Savoie said that after finding the boys' bodies, he found the snake coiled in a hole nearby, held it down and put it in a cage.

Mr Savoie said that the boys were the sons of his best friend, Mandy Trecartin, and that they often stayed at his home, where they slept in the living room.

'My body is in shock. I don't know what to think,' he told the Global News. 'I feel like they're my kids.'

In further bad news for Mr Savoie, a petition has been launched to shut down the shop over the way its animals were being treated. So far the Shut Down Reptile Ocean petition has only 185 signatures.

'Because ever since Jean-Claude got full custody of his child, every cage had two locks on it, and one of them was a master lock and the keys to that were hung up in the laundry room.'

He added: 'Jean-Claude loved them kids and he would have never, ever put them in danger at all.'

Neighbor Diane Fournier told MailOnline how she often saw the brothers happily playing together outside. They were fascinated by animals, she said, and often came over to pet her dog.

'The kids were always playing and laughing. They were really full of joy and lots of energy,' she said.

Facebook photos show both of the boys handling a small corn snake - called Mr Slithers - owned by their mother, a teleservices agent at Service New Brunswick, a local government agency.

Ms Fournier told MailOnline that Mr Savoie operated Reptile Ocean as both a pet shop and as a zoo. He kept numerous snakes and lizards and small crocodiles to sell, but he hosted tour groups.

'He always had kids going in there to visit like school kids and groups,' she said.

Ms Fournier said she she herself has touched the snake that is believed to have killed the boys. He often showed it off and kept it in a locked cage, she said.

Attacks by African rock pythons are rare, but not unheard of.

The last was in 2002, when a 10-year-old boy was killed and swallowed in Durban, South Africa.

Three years prior, a three-year-old boy was killed by another rock python after escaping its cage in Centralia, Illinois.

Police said an autopsy on Tuesday will confirm the exact cause of death, though officials believe the boys were strangled by the snake.

\In a Facebook message, staff at Reptile Ocean wrote: 'Deepest sympathies goes out to the family of the children. A terrible accident without a meaning.'

Read more: Noah and Connor Barthe: Pictures show boys strangled by python playing in serpent cage | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Is that a lawsuit I smell?

Having an aggressive "pet" in a small enclosure that is not properly locked is just criminal. Then you invite two small kids over? Are you kidding me?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Is that a lawsuit I smell?
    Probably not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fgg

i'm sorry but those little boys being in those cages in their underwear is just disgusting! i can't imagine the germs in that thing.

that being said, i'm with everyone that says something sinister was going on. it just doesn't add up.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

'There they played with llamas, and goats and horses, they played with dogs and cats in the hay loft,' he said. 'They went for a ride with Jean-Claude on his tractor and he even let them steer. They had a super day.'

So, they probably DID smell like food to the snake.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hmm. Could have been a food smell and a purposeful attack, but one of the article I read earlier made a little more sense. It speculated that when the snake fell, it would have likely panicked and tried to hold onto anything and in the process could have strangled them both. It explained about how snakes establish stability based on its muscles and all. I mean think about if one of those huge fuckers accidentally fell on top of you *shudder*

Still would be extreme negligence, of course.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Yet more proof that snakes belong in the wild, not in someone's house.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

fgg

Python That Killed Boys Was Kept in Home, Not Pet Store

The python that strangled two young boys this week did not escape from the pet store below the apartment where the boys slept, as previously believed, but was a house pet kept inside the apartment where they were visiting friends, authorities in Canada said.

The 100-pound, 15-foot African rock python escaped from its enclosure in the apartment in the eastern Canadian town of Campbellton, where Noah Barthe, 4, and Connor Barthe, 6, were sound asleep Monday, Royal Mounted Police Sgt. Alain Tremblay said Tuesday.

"It was upstairs," Tremblay said at a news conference Tuesday evening. "[It] never got out of the store."

Reptile Ocean Inc. owner Jean-Claude Savoie had initially told the Global News television station that he had no idea how the snake escaped from the pet store.

"I thought [the snakes] were sleeping until I [saw] the hole in the ceiling. I turned the lights on and I [saw] this horrific scene," said Savoie, who caught the python in his living room, pinned it down and put it in a cage. "It's ridiculous. I can't believe this is real."

The python wrapped itself around the boys and constricted them, according to the preliminary investigation. Autopsies were scheduled for the two victims today to determine the official cause of death.

The exotic snake was captured in the same room where the boys were found. It has been killed by a veterinarian, police said in a statement, and a necropsy will be conducted to help determine what might have prompted the attack.

Tremblay told The Associated Press that police were looking at whether the store's owner, who lives in the apartment above and was the boys' father's best friend, followed the province's regulations on exotic animals.

Store owner Savoie said he didn't hear a thing, and came in to find the scene, officials said. He had owned the python for 10 years.

"It's a criminal investigation," Tremblay said. "We're going to look at all avenues."

Authorities arrived at the apartment shortly after 6:30 a.m. Monday, where the two boys were found dead, Constable Julie Rogers-Marsh said in a statement.

While fatal snake attacks are rare, one expert says the incident was likely not a defensive attack, but the result of hunger.

"Snakes only constrict for food," Paul Goulet, owner of Little Ray's Reptile Zoo in Ottawa, told CTVNews. "And they're really hungry again before they eat."

Dave Rose, the uncle of the two brothers, said the family will try to remember them for the fun lives they had. He said before the sleepover, the boys spent the day swimming, shopping and visiting a family farm.

"They played with llamas and goats and horses," he said. "They played with dogs and cats in the hay loft. They went for a ride in the farm tractor, which I'm told they even let them steer the tractor, so they had a super day."

Python That Killed Boys Was Kept in Home, Not Pet Store | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post

So, they probably DID smell like food to the snake.
    God, did they not get baths? It reminds me of visiting a home years ago in a little town in Arkansas that kept exotic animals. The neighbors of a friend. It was the place I told y'all about where the llama tried to rape me. Anyway, there were 2 little bitty dirty kids running around in their underwear, barefoot in the yard & stepping on 17 kinds of manure. They'd run in and out of the house (where they lived) and where all the reptiles were kept, tracking the manure. Hygiene was not an issue.

People defend their pets and that's great and all, but it pisses me off when small children are placed in the line of fire because somebody thinks their pet is so sweet and would never hurt anyone. We've had an abundance of pit bull maulings and killings around here the last several months that includes the death of a small boy. I just don't get people.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A leading African snake expert is expressing surprise at an attack by a python that left two New Brunswick boys dead.

Pythons seeking food “always bite first” before constricting their prey with their coils, said Johan Marais, raising the question of how the snake killed the brothers without anyone hearing screams in the apartment where they were having a sleepover.

“If it grabs a kid, you’re going to have more than enough time to scream. You cannot be asleep and be bitten by a python and strangled. That’s impossible. You’re going to wake up instantly,” said Mr. Marais, who has written several books on snakes and runs the African Snake Bite Institute.

“It’s very, very puzzling. Why did the second child not wake up when the first one was attacked by the python?”
    ‘It’s very, very puzzling’: Snake expert mystified by New Brunswick python attack - The Globe and Mail

Kids can sleep through smoke alarms. Why didn't an adult wake though?

After this happened my husband took our boys out shopping and some d-bag made a big point of asking him, "did you see the news?! These two boys just a bit older than yours were strangled by a snake!" Oh gee, thanks... for that...

Poor little dudes.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

mjw
    Elite Member

CAMPBELLTON, N.B. — The RCMP say preliminary results from autopsies performed on two boys who were killed after an African rock python escaped in Campbellton, N.B., show they died from asphyxiation.

An Ontario reptile expert says the New Brunswick government has asked for help in removing animals from the exotic pet store beneath the apartment where two boys were believe to have been killed by the snake.

Bry Loyst, founder of the Indian River Reptile Zoo outside Peterborough, Ont., says he and a crew are driving a truck to Campbellton, N.B., to pick up the animals and take them to accredited zoos elsewhere in the country.

The Mounties say Noah and Connor Barthe, aged four and six, were found dead Monday morning after a 45-kilogram African rock python escaped from an enclosure in the apartment, slithered through a ventilation pipe and fell through the ceiling where the two boys were sleeping.

The apartment remains cordoned off with yellow police tape and two provincial conservation officers have been seen entering and leaving the pet store.

RCMP Sgt. Alain Tremblay says the scene has been handed over to the province’s Natural Resources Department.

Premier David Alward issued a statement today expressing his condolences to the family of the boys, saying their deaths are an unimaginable tragedy.

A vigil is being planned for later today along the city’s waterfront in honour of the two boys.
    N.B. brothers died of asphyxiation after python encounter: preliminary autopsy | National Post

fgg

can it really be proven that the snake killed them rather than the guy smothering them or choking them out? it all just seems so weird.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information