Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Exotic snake suspected in boys' deaths in Canada

the hell. It weirds me out that it could kill one of the kids and THEN get the other one, without the boy waking up/getting away??
    A*O likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

They are EVIL, I tell ya! Why anyone would want these vile creatures as pets, is beyond me.
    A*O, Karistiona and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    the hell. It weirds me out that it could kill one of the kids and THEN get the other one, without the boy waking up/getting away??
    i was reading articles about this and snake experts said 2 scenarios were probably likely. the snake was slithering around and at some point touching both boys, when it felt movement it wrapped around both (front end 1 kid, back end the other) or it wrapped around one and the second kid tried to help and got caught up. either way, i can't imagine the boys not screaming or thrashing or somehow making a lot of noise. too bad it didn't wake anyone.

i also don't know how the owners are claiming there was no neglect on their part. yes the snake was housed in an enclosure, yes there was a lock but obviously someone forgot to lock it or it wasn't sufficient to keep the snake in.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

This is horrible but something isn't sitting right with me.

The snake got up a ventilation system - up smooth metal with little or no purchase?

It got into the ceiling and punched a hole through - without waking anyone or attracting attention? Quite a feat, too, for a creature who's strength lies in constriction rather than blunt force impact.

It then dropped from the ceiling - a 100lbs of snake dropped from the ceiling and nobody heard anything and the kids didn't wake??

It then killed the two children - why both?

And then went into another room and went to sleep - why didn't it attempt to eat one or both of the children it had apparently just killed, which it most certainly would have done if it was starved to the point of breaking out of its case and seeking out two children. And after failing to satisfy its starvation why did it go into a different room and go to sleep? Surely if it was hungry and/or determined enough to climb a ventilation shaft and punch through a ceiling to find prey (which it then doesn't eat) it isn't going to stop for a snooze in the next convenient spot.
    A*O, rockchick, sluce and 3 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I just keep coming back to the guy owning the snake for 10 years. The only plausible thing I can think of (especially after Kitty's comments) is that this was more a pet than an animal for sale in the store ... and pets usually live in their owner's quarters and have more freedom than a locked up animal for sale in a store. I also echo Kitty's confusion about the lack of eating the children. Why would it kill them (especially if all these experts are claiming it was starving because attacks are rare unless for food) and not eat them? I mean, surely (and I'm about to puke right now) it could have fit a 5yo and a 7yo in its gut. Don't pythons have the ability to engorge themselves up to and even beyond their own weight? Why go through the trouble of killing two children (killing by constriction takes way more trouble and energy than biting and killing by venom, obviously) and then wander away to fall asleep without satiating its starvation? If the children were sleeping, I could see the attack being virtually silent ... if the kids didn't wake up until the snake was already around them, I could see them not being able to scream from being constricted (this is all in a perfect -- for the snake -- scenario though). But a 100 lb. (thanks Twitchy!) snake falling one house level while apparently trying to do house demolition and waking no one after it "wandered" UP a ventilation system and constricted two children to death .... break out the mayo because I smell tuna.

i found a couple articles with some more info. they are long so i just copied some interesting snippets here.

African rock python euthanized, N.B. police scour ‘crime scene’ where brothers were killed at sleepover | National Post

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/06...-new-brunswick

Police say that the 100-pound African rock python that escaped its cage and was involved in the death of two young New Brunswick brothers was being kept in a cage in the second-floor apartment — not in the exotic pet store below.
    Police said they believe the 45-kg snake entered the ventilation system through a vent above its enclosure, which reached nearly to the ceiling of Savoie's apartment. A pipe broke, and the snake fell into the living room where the boys were sleeping on a mattress.
    Steven Benteau, a spokesperson for New Brunswick’s Department of Natural Resources, said African rock pythons are not allowed under the Exotic Wildlife Regulation.
    “It is illegal for anyone to keep any exotic species that is not listed in the regulation unless they have a permit from the Department of Natural Resources,” Natural Resources said in a statement to the CBC. The New Brunswick government says no permit was issued for the python. The Natural Resources says the snake is generally only permitted in accredited zoos, unless there is a special permit.
    The snake is an African rock python and is between 14 to 16 feet long, according to Thomas. Native to sub-saharan Africa, the species is non-venomous, but is known to devour whole antelopes in the wild.
    The snake that killed two young boys in an apartment above an exotic pet store in Campbellton, N.B., had escaped from its enclosure before, according to a snake expert who is assisting police and has been briefed on the case. Barely able to keep the anger out of his voice, Bry Loyst, curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo, told QMI Agency that Monday wasn't the first time the African rock python had made its way into the ventilation system."This was an accident waiting to happen," said Loyst, who was en route to Campbellton, about 475 km north of Saint John.

he didn't eat the boys because he couldn't swallow them.
    "It is rather odd ... because usually the snakes feed on rabbits, for example.

"Generally, it will only attack something he can swallow. It will not kill for nothing," he said.

speaking of snakes biting off more than they can swallow, was it one of you sick mofos that posted that video of a snake puking up some huge animal it had eaten, thinking it could swallow it?

eta: found it.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Can these snakes swallow big, fat rats because I smell one.
    MsChiff likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Something is off...
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

Reports tonight that the police are treating it as a "criminal matter". Told ya.
    funky_chicken likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Reports tonight that the police are treating it as a "criminal matter". Told ya.
    That doesn't mean anything (even though I still think something is fishy as hell). Wouldn't they be treating it as a criminal matter if it has been a pet dog that had gone berserk and killed the boys?

I don't have a huge amount of experience with large snakes, having never owned one myself, but when I was a teen the family opposite me had a python of a comparable size (possible even a little bigger) and I handled that weighty sucker more than once as they used to bring it over to enjoy a slither in our grass on hot days because their yard was paved. That snake was fed on young rabbits and large rats and thinking back to the size of its head I can't imagine it being able to open up enough, even after dislocating its jaw, to even attempt to eat a five or six year old human.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

They're treating it as a criminal investigation but I think it's because he owned the snake illegally, not because someone killed the kids and used the snake story as a cover up. At least not in the latest news I saw, they seemed pretty certain it was the snake.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

I guess the autopsies will have some answers or I hope so. Whatever happened those poor little boys would have been terrified.
    Dame Edna Everage

Unless they were asleep.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

You think a snake could strangle them simultaneously without either of them waking up?
    Kittylady likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information