Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Earthquake in California

They are saying there are still large areas without power. I'm guessing czb may not have power and has more important things to do than check in with us. Hope we hear from her soon.
    Brookie likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

RIP.
    gas_chick and Kathie_Moffett like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

My heart breaks for the wine.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

czb is ok and posting elsewhere on the board.
    Brookie and MmeVertigina like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

hey. i was offline as i was out of town and just returned today. my neighbors said they felt the earthquake but no damage here. whew!

eta: thanks for wondering, guys. luckily, american canyon is not so close to us. i haven't even had a chance yet to read about the damage reports. i just looked at the USGS stuff the day of.

Oh that's very good. You know how we worry!
    czb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    czb, kathie_moffett, i think palermo, maybe mme vertigina?? I think a few more.

We didn't feel it down here. I should say that I didn't feel it.

Local news is saying there are dozens injured and there are fires.
    In a strange twist of fate, I left that afternoon to visit friends in Oregon. I feel so guilty that I wasn't there. My husband called me in the middle of the night because the quake threw him out of bed, the power was out, and there was stuff all over the floor. He is a Northridge survivor; he and his daughter were almost crushed by a falling wall that time, so he is scared shitless of earthquakes. One of the first things he asked was "what the hell, I thought we weren't ON a fault!?!"

Now we hear it's an "obscure" fault that has been inactive for ages.

Our cats are terrified (still); one won't come out of the bedroom because he thinks the living room will attack him again. Basically, everything on any surface got thrown onto the floor, but thankfully, I installed earthquake latches in the kitchen last year and THEY WORKED! Plus we strapped tall furniture, and our foundation's bolted. Even our old gas flue is no worse than before--it's brick, but it's internal and the house braces it. Still, our house dates from World War I, and I am stunned it came through this well. I had nightmares last night about coming home and finding it in ruins.

Our neighbors didn't fare as well. Everyone lost their chimney. Some in the center of town have broken gas lines, broken water mains, foundation damage. A lot of Vallejo is filled wetlands--Mare Island most of all, so the damage to some of the Victorian buildings out there is very sad. Vallejo is a pretty poor town, too, so I don't know how some people are going to rebuild. It's rough.

Our Victorian downtown is a mess. One building's roof collapsed--and it was the most stunning old place inside, a former Odd Fellows hall, replete with an ornate ceremonial theatre. The old post office is condemned, and some old apartment buildings are now unliveable. Almost every plate glass window in our older business district blew out. A beautiful 1920s brick Baptist church is in danger of collapse, so its heavy bell tower is being dismantled one brick at a time (by a guy in a cherry-picker!) in hopes of saving the rest of the structure. This church has an amazing congregation who for years have provided absolutely free services and food for all the local homeless. They have the hugest hearts.

Husband tells me we have some friends from Napa staying with us for a couple of days because they can't cope anymore--they still don't have any running water, and the aftershocks are giving her panic attacks. The damage to Napa's old town center is bad. We are so thankful the quake happened at night, because there are bricks and huge chunks of masonry everywhere and people would certainly have been killed. Many ordinary homes there have been red-tagged (meaning uninhabitable), and many people have no water or even power yet.

In short, things are worse for the ordinary people in Vallejo and Napa than the wine and rich people-obsessed media is telling you. That is pissing quite a few people off. Vallejo especially never gets any love, and it's actually a scenically lovely town with gorgeous old architecture, so now more than ever this feels very unfair.

And up here in the Willamette valley, central Oregon is looking better and better...
    levitt, Brookie and KrisNine like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    We love you around here!! Glad you're all safe.

We're thinking about keeping safer items next to the bed. i would have to scramble to my closet. I sleep in a t shirt.

We're in the foothills of the Santa Ana mountains, so I'm sure there must be a fault under there some place.
    <~~~ sincerely.
    Ha! This was my predicament, no pants, not good. We don't wear our shoes around the house, but I'm going to stick a pair underneath my bed anyway.

The largest one I have experienced was Northridge, I lived in SoCal at the time. I don't think that fault ran directly through the area I lived in, but it did cause some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    where's czb?

i was naked when the big earthquake hit Chile 4 years ago. i'd been to a party that night too and was drunk so i basically stripped on my way to bed from the front door and all i had on was underwear. thankfully i didn't have to be evacuated and i used my cell phone as a flashlight to look for a bathrobe and flip flops (broken glass everywhere) before going outside or opening the door for my neighbours. they had to go through my back door in the kitchen to get outside because the front door of the building had an electric lock type thing so that even if you had the key, it wouldn't open if the power was out, which shouldn't have been the case but there was something wrong with it and after that night, building management fixed it.
    This is scary. I heard someone on the news saying to keep a crowbar under your bed, but idk if it would have helped in your situation.

So, now, I need to keep pants, shoes, a crowbar, a flashlight, and a large wrench (for shutting off the gas) underneath the bed . I think I'll pick up a box at Ikea and throw it all in there, in the case that I actually remember to grab it before grabbing my youngest and running for shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    In a strange twist of fate, I left that afternoon to visit friends in Oregon. I feel so guilty that I wasn't there. My husband called me in the middle of the night because the quake threw him out of bed, the power was out, and there was stuff all over the floor. He is a Northridge survivor; he and his daughter were almost crushed by a falling wall that time, so he is scared shitless of earthquakes. One of the first things he asked was "what the hell, I thought we weren't ON a fault!?!"

Now we hear it's an "obscure" fault that has been inactive for ages.

Our cats are terrified (still); one won't come out of the bedroom because he thinks the living room will attack him again. Basically, everything on any surface got thrown onto the floor, but thankfully, I installed earthquake latches in the kitchen last year and THEY WORKED! Plus we strapped tall furniture, and our foundation's bolted. Even our old gas flue is no worse than before--it's brick, but it's internal and the house braces it. Still, our house dates from World War I, and I am stunned it came through this well. I had nightmares last night about coming home and finding it in ruins.

Our neighbors didn't fare as well. Everyone lost their chimney. Some in the center of town have broken gas lines, broken water mains, foundation damage. A lot of Vallejo is filled wetlands--Mare Island most of all, so the damage to some of the Victorian buildings out there is very sad. Vallejo is a pretty poor town, too, so I don't know how some people are going to rebuild. It's rough.

Our Victorian downtown is a mess. One building's roof collapsed--and it was the most stunning old place inside, a former Odd Fellows hall, replete with an ornate ceremonial theatre. The old post office is condemned, and some old apartment buildings are now unliveable. Almost every plate glass window in our older business district blew out. A beautiful 1920s brick Baptist church is in danger of collapse, so its heavy bell tower is being dismantled one brick at a time (by a guy in a cherry-picker!) in hopes of saving the rest of the structure. This church has an amazing congregation who for years have provided absolutely free services and food for all the local homeless. They have the hugest hearts.

Husband tells me we have some friends from Napa staying with us for a couple of days because they can't cope anymore--they still don't have any running water, and the aftershocks are giving her panic attacks. The damage to Napa's old town center is bad. We are so thankful the quake happened at night, because there are bricks and huge chunks of masonry everywhere and people would certainly have been killed. Many ordinary homes there have been red-tagged (meaning uninhabitable), and many people have no water or even power yet.

In short, things are worse for the ordinary people in Vallejo and Napa than the wine and rich people-obsessed media is telling you. That is pissing quite a few people off. Vallejo especially never gets any love, and it's actually a scenically lovely town with gorgeous old architecture, so now more than ever this feels very unfair.

And up here in the Willamette valley, central Oregon is looking better and better...

Thank you for this post, Kathie. I'm so glad you or your husband weren't injured in this quake.
    KrisNine and Kathie_Moffett like this.

Hugs to your kitties, Kathie. *off to google earthquake latches*
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

glad you're ok, kathie! that sucks about your town though
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

yeah, i heard vallejo was hit pretty bad. saw the pictures last night. as kathie said, a lot of it is built on marsh land and that typically doesn't do well in earthquakes. plus it's not a glam place, so not surprised it doesn't get much coverage in the news. no celebs live there.

I am thankful no one lost his life.pity about the damages though..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Earthquakes are scary and there is nothing you can do while it's happening. I have friends and family that lived through the Northridge quake and are still pretty terrified of earthquakes. My MIL, who lives in San Diego, was visiting friends in LA when the Northridge earthquake hit. She was in a condo building that partially collapsed on the parking garage it was built on. Glass and mirrors were broken everywhere, the refrigerator moved to the middle of the dining/living area, opened and spilled all of it contents all over the floor. Broken bottles, liquids, sauces, etc. In addition to all of the plates that were all over the kitchen floor. They all got out and were standing in the streets, barefoot and cold.

Like they say, it's only a matter of time for a big one to hit down here. I love the idea of moving to Washington or Oregon, but then it's only a matter of time for Rainier, St. Helens, Hood, etc.
    Brookie and MmeVertigina like this.

czb

not sure where you can move and not experience natural disasters.

washington, california, sandy hook (nj), duluth ... you name it. i try not to think about it (as someone who lives near the san andreas fault). well, except for finding a house situated on bedrock, then building a steel reinforced foundation.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information