Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Driver posts selfies, updates Facebook seconds before fatal crash

^^^Or the ones who post everything that they are doing at every particular moment. The restaurant ones bug me. One friend posts a different pic of his bf's dog almost every day. The ones with the faux-Deep Thoughts quotes annoy the fuck outta me as well. Sometimes I hate Facebook.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I have an annoying friend who will post things like " No time to explain, just please pray for me". So of course tons of people will comment back with thoughts and prayers and questions. Then she never updates the post. Six hours later she'll post a pic of she and BF at some food joint. Ugh.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Or one of my sisters-in-law who consistently posts stuff that Snopes debunked years ago, missing person notices for people who either have been long found or never existed ("just doing my part to help bring them home!") or those supposedly humorous sayings about how mothers do it all and men are just helpless babies.

I could go on.
    sputnik, Brookie and Kittylady like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I've unfriended most of the people who pulled shit like that. And the ones I can't unfriend because they're relatives and would get offended and complain to my mom, I've hidden from my wall. It was a huge relief.
    Novice likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Facebook sure seems to bring out the moron in lots of folks.

It's sad and ridiculous that a 32-year old would do this. It would be a bit more understandable to me if she was trying to tell someone she was one her way or respond to a question, but this? It's just so stupid. Why are people will to risk their lives over something so moronic?
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I've unfriended most of the people who pulled shit like that. And the ones I can't unfriend because they're relatives and would get offended and complain to my mom, I've hidden from my wall. It was a huge relief.
    I've unfriended relatives, no problem. Two of my cousins on my mother's side. They are born-again. And boring ALWAYS. And I have another on my dad's side who prays every day via FB. It gets tiresome after a while.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Facebook is lost on me. I don't have it on my phone because the updates drive me crazy and I never check it on the computer unless someone tells me to (usually because I haven't read the message they sent last month or RSVP'd to the dinner that's in two days). I use it mostly for the games, which are now all available as apps so it's become totally obsolete to me and I should really just delete it. If you have an account, people assume it's the easiest way to reach you, but they know to chase down the people who don't. I'd probably keep in better contact with people if I got rid of it. Also, I hate the game posts littering my feed because I'm paranoid it makes me look like I don't have a life, so I block that shit too. My last status update was probably sometime in 2012. It's a ghost page.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

A*O

I get that FB and social media generally are now woven into the fabric of our lives for better, for worse, but I worry how it's undermining basic social interaction and good manners. The default method of communication now seems to be via cyberspace and any amount of rudeness or inappropriate behaviour seems to be tolerated as "normal" if your phone is involved. I was at a meeting last week where people were asked to turn their phones off or at least to silent mode and the murderous looks that request generated were scary. What's going to happen in the next 20 minutes that needs you to interrupt an important discussion or at least be distracted (and you WILL be distracted). Are voicemail or txts now obsolete? Or are you such an awesome multi tasking VIP that asking you to focus on a real convo with real people is for pussies? Ask anyone under 25 how they think the world functioned before the advent of cellphones with instant communication and they look utterly bewildered and terrified.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Well, I'm not a phone person, so in that regard, FB works for me. But the other stuff I mentioned is annoying.
    sprynkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Or one of my sisters-in-law who consistently posts stuff that Snopes debunked years ago, missing person notices for people who either have been long found or never existed ("just doing my part to help bring them home!") or those supposedly humorous sayings about how mothers do it all and men are just helpless babies.

I could go on.
    One of my aunts does that too. I've learned to just ignore it.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

My mother is pretty clued up about Internet myths and scams (because I drummed it into her) but her biddy friends are always sending those irritating "the Internet is under threat, your address book has been hacked, your computer will DIE" emails. Time and time again and they still don't get it. No wonder internet scams pull in billions of dollars.
    Dame Edna Everage

And then there's the "thanks to my lovely sister for the meal" posts. Yeah, we get it. You ate together. Next time just thank her to her face. And the "mommy's so proud of you, honey!" posts. The kid is not reading your Facebook. talk to him.
    Kittylady likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

Ugh, I have a FB pest who posts those cloyingly sentimental "if you love your daughter/mother send her this" crap. Makes me gag. She also posts food pics - my #1 hate - endless fluffy kittens or animal pics with "hilarious" captions. And every Friday, without fail, we get the "yay it's Friday" shit. Then there's my accountant having his newly divorced guilty dad vegan midlife crisis which he is dealing with by posting sick petard propaganda and pics of rainbows/dolphins. God, I know some annoying people.

Ugh, now the accountant has announced that as a vegan he doesn't believe in pet ownership of any kind. This after a rant about the evils of horse racing. I wonder if he will be quite to "ethical" about having meat eating, pet owning clients like me. No, didn't think so.
    Last edited by A*O; April 28th, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
    Kittylady and Novice like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

I have a facebook friend who is currently on a religious trip to Israel with her sister. Endlessly fascinating stuff taking place this week with those two, I tellz ya. "walking where jesus walked" "here's a pic of the remains of a boat that jesus was in!", "my sister has vertigo" "riding camels"... she's super sweet but ... actually, she's sweet enough that we were forewarned by her last week of the impending jesus pics and were told we could ignore all of it....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Ugh, now the accountant has announced that as a vegan he doesn't believe in pet ownership of any kind.
    Oh.Lord.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information