Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Driver posts selfies, updates Facebook seconds before fatal crash

^^^^^ That app looks awesome!!!! If only it came preinstalled on phones instead of being elective. I doubt the people who need it will ever be smart enough to download it. I certainly would, and I have the phone set up to receive calls hands-free through the OnStar (which I actually regret because I have become so used to it I often forget where my actual phone is). But whenever it is in my purse where it's supposed to be, the kids pull it out and play on it, randomly calling the DH at work or worse, my mother (who usually misses it and then calls back thinking it was me looking to chat ). The review said it was difficult to pass the attention test even sitting still, so maybe it would be too hard for their developing little brains to pass.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

A*O

But seriously, what is sooooooo fucking important that it demands your instant response NOW?! It's a whole new mindset. Is tweeting endless drek every waking moment what validates you? How do you think mankind evolved to this stage without Facebook? I'm not saying cellphone "culture" is a bad thing, not at all, but I think it's warping our ability to think straight and keep things in perspective. Example, I went out to dinner with a friend the other day and, shock, she left her phone in the car because her son (25) sends her endless stalkerish txts approx every 4 minutes "where are you" "what are you doing" "who's with you" "where's the orange juice" "did you wash my blue shirt" on and on. After dinner she looked at about 30 messages, the last few being "call me" "call me NOW" "emergency! Call me". Turns out he had a flat car battery (he was at home and didn't plan going out anyway).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

One less idiot in the world. Glad she didn't take anyone else out with her.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    But seriously, what is sooooooo fucking important that it demands your instant response NOW?! It's a whole new mindset. Is tweeting endless drek every waking moment what validates you? How do you think mankind evolved to this stage without Facebook? I'm not saying cellphone "culture" is a bad thing, not at all, but I think it's warping our ability to think straight and keep things in perspective. Example, I went out to dinner with a friend the other day and, shock, she left her phone in the car because her son (25) sends her endless stalkerish txts approx every 4 minutes "where are you" "what are you doing" "who's with you" "where's the orange juice" "did you wash my blue shirt" on and on. After dinner she looked at about 30 messages, the last few being "call me" "call me NOW" "emergency! Call me". Turns out he had a flat car battery (he was at home and didn't plan going out anyway).
    Not sure if this was to me, but uh, no on all accounts. I'm the person who never knows where her phone is (except now as I play on it in the mildly safe comfort of my kitchen). I have the hands free thing standard with the Onstar and I will answer if it's the kids' school or some other reasonably important person, but I usually pull over just the same if I know it's going to distract me. I actually got in deep shit with the DH the other night for spending four hours in the parking lot of the grocery store listening to my sister's latest sobfest. I just think an app like that could be beneficial for many others, but the ones who need it most probably lack the awareness to download it. Personally I just think it would keep my kids from calling my mother, which would in turn keep her from calling me.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

A*O

No it wasn't to you - just anyone who seems to turn their minds off when they turn their phones on.
    Dame Edna Everage

Phew! And I agree, by the way. Which I guess is why I feel bad for this girl, while still sharing in everyone's relief that no one else was hurt. It's way more common than we probably imagine and we might all know or even love someone who does shit like this. I have a teenage niece and nephew and I absolutely think they are responsible and have been taught better, but I have no idea what they do in their cars when they are alone. I have no reason to believe they text or tweet behind the wheel, but it's something I always worry about anyway. It's a monumentally stupid and dangerous thing to do, but it's a mistake a lot of people make. A lost life seems like too harsh a punishment.

Still, better hers than someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    her son (25) sends her endless stalkerish txts approx every 4 minutes "where are you" "what are you doing" "who's with you" "where's the orange juice" "did you wash my blue shirt" on and on. After dinner she looked at about 30 messages, the last few being "call me" "call me NOW" "emergency! Call me". Turns out he had a flat car battery (he was at home and didn't plan going out anyway).
    I have a paranoid schizophrenic patient who does the exact same thing with his mother. Is your friend's son crazy or just a selfish inconsiderate overly dependent brat with mommy issues? If somebody demands I text them because of an emergency, there had better be a damned emergency or I'll create one.
    Serendipity likes this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

@ lobes - actually he does have issues with depression caused mainly by his insane demands on himself to excel at everything. His parents aren't to blame here, he's always been like this. He's at uni where he joins every club, society, group, etc etc and studies to the max as anything less than A+ isn't acceptable to him. He was recently on an overseas student/political seminar when he phoned his mother at 3am to say he "might be feeling a bit suicidal". Naturally she immediately arranged for him to fly home where it transpired he was just exhausted from being over scheduled and terrified of "failure". His doctor said he's not suicidal, just needing to take a step back but prescribed him shedloads of antidepressants anyway. But he does use his phone as a life support device anyway. I think if his phone was confiscated he probably WOULD try to kill himself.
    Dame Edna Everage

How exhausting for his parents.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I was walking downtown once and this young woman was in front of me, texting and walking. I moved to the left, and so did she. I moved to the right; so did she. I swear, I stopped, and SO DID SHE!!! I just stood there for about five seconds, and she spontaneously turns around and almost slammed right into me. She looked up long enough to say, "what-EVER" and continued to walk in the opposite direction. I guess the text was from someone who wanted her to come back. It's just not very bright to text while walking on a busy street in Center City. And driving is even worse. I don't hate this dead woman, but what she did was foolish and preventable.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

fgg

she just one-upped the funeral selfies!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Also, I'm sorry, but updating your fb status with lyrics from that goddamn annoying 'happy' song? Another one that belongs in that Basic Bitch parody video...
    Air Quotes likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

32 years old? And doesn't know any better? Effing, stupid DUMBASS!! Only saving grace is, she did not injure or kill anyone else.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Dumbass. WTF is so important about Facebook that has people being glued to it 24 hours a day, anyway? Some people will DIE if they can't post to Facebook every minute of the freaking day.

I have a friend who loves her facebook and I just don't get it. She'll post her entire itinerary for the day with "busy, busy, busy!" If ever someone wanted to break in, they'd know when the house is empty and for how long.
    manningmsj and Novice like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information