Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Disney gator attack: 2-year-old believed dead as rescue turns to recovery

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    They are everywhere at Disney. Believe it or not, I once saw one on the Peter Pan's Flight ride.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

What a cutie. Rest in peace child, I hope your death was quick.

Disney Gator Tragedy: Photo of Victim Lane Graves Released

Authorities release image of Lane Graves, the two-year-old who was snatched by an alligator at a Disney resort

There is now a face to the horrible Disney gator tragedy. Authorities late Wednesday released an image of two-year-old Lane Graves, the boy who was killed when an alligator snatched him at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.
    The Orange County Sheriff’s Office in Florida tweeted a statement after posting the image: “The Graves family appreciate the support they have received and have asked for privacy as they grieve the loss of their son.”
    The attack occurred at 9:21 PM ET on Tuesday night. Graves was with his parents, Matt and Melissa Graves, who had traveled from Nebraska to vacation at the resort.

Also Read: Is Disney Legally Liable for the Gator Attack?

His body was recovered intact Wednesday near the location where the attack occurred. Nick Wiley, executive director of Florida Fish and Wildlife, said they would “make certain that we have the alligator that was involved and remove it from the lake.”
    Disney has now closed all the beaches on its resort property.

“As a parent and a grandparent, my heart goes out to the Graves family during this time of devastating loss,” Disney CEO Bob Iger said in a statement Wednesday evening. “My thoughts and prayers are with them, and I know everyone at Disney joins me in offering our deepest sympathies.”

Also Read: Disney Gator Attack Puts Key Business at Risk, at Exactly the Wrong Time

A legal expert told TheWrap that Disney could face a “multimillion dollar” lawsuit in the wake of this attack. Attorney Joseph Balice says that the family could sue for wrongful death and possibly negligent infliction of emotional distress.
    The attack comes just as Disney was set to open a new theme park in Shanghai, China. Theme parks make up 31 percent of Disney’s annual revenue.

http://www.thewrap.com/disney-gator-lane-graves-photo-released/

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Disney have fucked up royally with this. Why did they have Movie Nights on the beach if there's alligators in the water? Why do they have boating activities available if there's alligators in the water? Why don't they have fucking signs up saying that there are alligators in the water?? The neighbouring non-Disney hotels do so why didn't they? The park attracts visitors from all over the world so it was crass stupidity to not warn people.
    Because they're the "Magic Kingdom"! And they don't want to spoil anyone's fantasies! Well, the cat's out of the bag now.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

My bad, I didn't know that they didn't have signs warning of gators. Just "Don't Go In The Water" signs.

But that's even worse - were they afraid of skeeving people out if they warned them that gators were nearby? GAWD!!! What a place to put a large amusement park!!!
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

When a resort area puts up a "NO SWIMMING" sign, they might have a good reason for it. People might just want to not go swimming there. No further explanation is required.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    When a resort area puts up a "NO SWIMMING" sign, they might have a good reason for it. People might just want to not go swimming there. No further explanation is required.
    But Brookie, you KNOW that there is always someone who either thinks the rules don't apply to them, or are just Darwin Award candidates.

Disney has left themselves open to censure and criticism. And I just know, know in my heart, that they didn't specifically warn of the gator danger so as not to scare away potential guests. You tell me that there is a chance of being attacked by a gator near my hotel, guess who ain't staying at that hotel? But if I put up a sign that says "Please Stay Out of the Water", I'm looking at it the same way I look at signs that say "No Smoking" or "Keep off the Grass" or "No Eating or Drinking". Someone will always break the rule. Tell me to merely "stay out" of the water, trust me, someone's going to go near the water and maybe even go in the water...it's important to be specific IMO, about exactly what the risks are. Now they can be accused of negligence.

Poor little fella is so cute in that picture
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Yep, if you want to get technical, the sign said "NO SWIMMING" it didn't say, no wading, don't come near the water, don't stick your toes in. Any body of water is an "attractive nuisance" to little kids (and maybe adults too) which is why insurance companies require fences around private swimming pools. If they're having movie nights on the beach I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that someone might get too close to the water. If there was a sign that said "DANGER! ALLIGATORS" I do think guests might re-think talking their children on the beach or at the very least take more precautions.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Where is sluce, our resident legal brain?

She abandoned us for that "real life" crap I've heard so much about.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Yep, if you want to get technical, the sign said "NO SWIMMING" it didn't say, no wading, don't come near the water, don't stick your toes in. Any body of water is an "attractive nuisance" to little kids (and maybe adults too) which is why insurance companies require fences around private swimming pools. If they're having movie nights on the beach I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that someone might get too close to the water. If there was a sign that said "DANGER! ALLIGATORS" I do think guests might re-think talking their children on the beach or at the very least take more precautions.
    That's a good point. The other problem is that, from what I've read, gators can hunt on land as far as 75 feet from the water line. While that appears to have never actually happened at the resort, it's one of those things that could always happen, and not wading or swimming isn't necessarily going to cut it.

^^^What about not building on their habitat?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post

But you don't think "no swimming" means that you can't paddle in the shallows either.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    ^^^What about not building on their habitat?
    That's quite some land that would have to be given up. But if Disney chose to build there then they should have had the appropriate measures in place to keep a reasonable expectation of safety for the public, along with visible warnings.

I wonder if the gators - or one at least - have started to lose their natural fear of humans from being around them so much. This is the first fatality at the park but at least one other family has come forward to say that they recently had to run like fuck to escape an alligator there.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    She abandoned us for that "real life" crap I've heard so much about.
    soooooooooo selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    That's quite some land that would have to be given up. But if Disney chose to build there then they should have had the appropriate measures in place to keep a reasonable expectation of safety for the public, along with visible warnings.

I wonder if the gators - or one at least - have started to lose their natural fear of humans from being around them so much. This is the first fatality at the park but at least one other family has come forward to say that they recently had to run like fuck to escape an alligator there.
    Obviously it was not a problem in the early days as DW was relatively isolated and hadn't yet encroached on the gators' stomping grounds. But it's gotten larger, there has been a lot of suburban/urban sprawl and the gators are being squeezed out and forced to be closer to humans. Maybe it was only a matter of time.

And call me a conspiracy theorist, but knowing what I know about Walt Disney Corporation, it wouldn't surprise me if some people have been killed by gators before and they covered it up. I wasn't this cynical until I found this website...

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    You tell me that there is a chance of being attacked by a gator near my hotel, guess who ain't staying at that hotel?
    Every hotel in Florida qualifies for this.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Every hotel in Florida qualifies for this.
    Then bye to Florida then. Navy boot camp there was bad enough.
    greysfang and Seapharris7 like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information