Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Deaf Twins Pick Euthanasia Over Going Blind; Couldn’t Bear Not Seeing Each Other

Dogs get treated better than humans. I hope that changes.
    Sojiita likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Those poor men, what an awful situation to find yourself in. While I think it's great that they were able to have this choice, I feel so sad for their family. It's hard enough to lose one person you love let alone two.
    Sojiita likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

The problem is that people do get a vote. IMO, this is a highly personal decision that no one has the right to question,yet they play Judge and jury. Who knows how many people with horrid medical issues are forced to shoot themselves or jump on front of a train. When I say I am pro choice, I mean it. They have the right to die with dignity, assisted by a doctor and to go painlessly into the night. It should not matter what Country you are born in. We all need to show compassion and be supportive like the twins family did. No note, just a quiet conversation and hugs.
    I agree with you on this - Belgium happens to be a place that allows euthanasia in cases of non-terminal people. It IS their right to say if and when their time is up. That's why I could never understand what the kerfluffle about Jack Kevorkian was all about - the people he euthanized REQUESTED it. It's not like he went door-to-door with a do-it-yourself suicide kit, ready to needle stick the person who opened the door.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I agree with you on this - Belgium happens to be a place that allows euthanasia in cases of non-terminal people. It IS their right to say if and when their time is up. That's why I could never understand what the kerfluffle about Jack Kevorkian was all about - the people he euthanized REQUESTED it. It's not like he went door-to-door with a do-it-yourself suicide kit, ready to needle stick the person who opened the door.
    But when you get to non-terminal cases, it does get complicated. Does it become a 'slippery slope' type of thing? After my partner died(like A*O's relatives, it was a similar assisted with morphine thing-except the nurses left me to give the morphine!) I really wanted to die-It really was unbearable pain, and I thought of suicide frequently. What if I went to a Kevorkian and got myself offed. Would that have been ok? I still wrestle with the idea of it. Where is the cut off point with people who 'request' euthanasia? It is very difficult I think.

What about intractable pain, untreatable depression/mental illness, seemingly hopeless addiction- where on the scale do those things fall in relation to being deaf and going blind as in this case?

Soj - I'm no medical ethics pro and we could debate this until the next century probably. I would have to assume there's some kind of mental screening process and signing of legal documents prior to the process taking place, and I haven't researched it. However, in Belgium, it's the law - they requested it, they got it, they're dead.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

If people are really suffering from depression, or intractable pain it would be ok with me if they did it. They are in real pain, even if it isn't terminal. I think it's not up to me to say what makes someone's life unbearable.

I know that idea may not be well received. And I definitely don't want to make those decisions for other people, but I'm ok with them making them for themselves.
    Brookie and Beeyotch like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

My only issue with these guys (for what it's worth - ie nothing) is that they offed themselves in anticipation of going blind. Why not wait until it starts happening? What if they had another 10 years of reasonably independent living? Surely they could have put in place some sort of binding agreement with their families/doctors that when they get to the point that their wishes can no longer be expressed, or if they reach some other predetermined medical milestone, the euthanasia clause kicks in. I guess to me it's like saying I'm going to get old and die one day so I may as well end it all now.

But it's their choice and not mine. Just my opinion.
    whitetigeress likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

It probably already started happening and that's how they were diagnosed. Not everyone gets a yearly glaucoma screening.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I can understand their decision. How horrible to be in that position, life is cruel sometimes.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Yes, but they involved a third party and a doctor at that. But I guess he could always have said "No". Or they could have taken matters into their own hands as many do.
    If they had taken it into their own hands then anything could have gone wrong. One or both of them could have survived an amateur attempt but grossly physically or mentally damaged and facing a lifetime of indignity and dependance, which is exactly what they didn't want in the first place. At least with a doctor assisting in their joint euthanasia their end came quickly, hopefully peacefully and cleanly. Isn't that so much better than taking the back of your head off with a shotgun and leaving the mess for someone else (possibly someone close to you) to discover and deal with? Isn't it better than locking yourself away, taking handfuls of pills and washing them down with booze before vomiting, defecating and possibly lingering for some time before you either die or vegetabalise yourself?

No. If you have chosen to take this route and are sincere and firm on the decision then a clean, medically supervised end is infinitely more preferable and humane.
    Brookie likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information