Login to remove the ads!
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 211

Thread: Dallas woman sues neighbor for smoking in her own home

  1. #61
    Elite Member crumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    *putting a toe in gingerly here*

    I think that sometimes the reasons why smokers catch more shit than people with other vices (overeating, drinking) is because it often impacts people around them directly. I mean, someone sitting down at a barstool for a drink or someone shoving a hamburger in their mouth doesn't affect the person next to them in a direct way, but breathing in someone's secondhand smoke does. In some capacities, people are obligated to share the vice of smoking when there isn't clean air, etc. - thats not really fair. I mean, I wouldn't want someone shoving a hamburger or alcohol down my throat (ok wait...lol) I know that there is a sharp divide here because smokers won't see this logic and non-smokers, like myself, will admittedly fail to see how badly smokers are persecuted. I say this in a kind way, but I really don't see that smokers are demonized any more than an obese person in our society, perhaps its even the opposite - fat people seem to be the butt of every joke. And I feel like I can be slightly objective here because I'm not fat or a smoker, so I've seen a fair amount of bad words slung around. Usually the criticism I've seen towards some smokers is that they aren't considerate enough towards the health of others. Is it fair to paint everyone with the same brush? No, not at all. But it happens, and smokers are far from the only group that is persecuted in our society. I'm sure I'll take some heat for this, but its honestly the way I feel.
    Truthfully, people are sanctimonious towards smokers just for knowing they smoke, even if they've never been around their smoke at all. They lecture just on the principal of how bad it is for you and that's what makes them insufferable to me. It's rarely about complaining about your smoke in their face or air.....they like to get on smokers just for smoking, period. There's more to it than just being worried about second hand smoke. It's about patting yourself on the back for your Jesus ways of trying to save someone so you get to feel like you did your good deed for the day.

    As for what Lobelia said, I'm sorry for anyone who lost a loved one to smoking or anything else. Sincerely. However, I wouldn't tolerate someone bitching at me or lecturing me or whining to me about a personal choice I made just because of their personal issues. For instance, just because someone's dad died from smoking doesn't make it acceptable to nag the shit out of another adult, as if that ever works anyway. All it does is make the nagger temporarily feel some sense of control.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #62
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,427

    Default

    I am wondering now if I've ever done that (sanctimonious lecturing) Thinking... You know, I probably have, but I'm pretty sure it was during discussions where the smoker was talking about quitting. But I will pay attention from now on, because it sounds completely obnoxious. Goodness knows that my life isn't free from unhealthy habits.

    I currently live in an apartment, and it doesn't seem particularly well-made but I've never noticed cigarette smoke, ever. Now marijuana smoke in the breezeway, sure but never cigarette smoke inside. I can't imagine how cigarette smoke could get through walls unless there was a construction problem OR some kind of ventilation system where the air got swapped around. If that were the case, I think I would probably just move, but I'm trying to imagine being a person who rents with the intention of staying long term. (Whenever I rent, it's a transitional situation.) I guess if you plan to be there for a long time, you probably have more of a territorial attitude. ?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  3. #63
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,443

    Default

    its just downright rude, revolting and asinine to be smoking under someone's balcony cuz you can't take your lazy ass out to the street! stupid bitches, they i hear them crying some mornings on the phone to their mommy's asking for more money and what to do with their lives bullshit. and btw not that it matters but i was there long before them! my whole building has gone down hill, i cant wait to move.

    i got them back though with a late nite/early morning physical wrestling match all over the apartment with that guy from the gym, hahahahahaa i heard them pounding on my door and running around all mad and shit, i think they've heard me having sex before too

  4. #64
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    the guy from the gym? the douchenozzle you were whining about not too long ago?

    seriously?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  5. #65
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,133

    Default

    Where I live it's really loud. There are cars and trucks driving past my house 24/7. Recently there was a study by the WHO that proved a connection between excessive noise and breast cancer.

    I don't own a car. I hate cars. They pollute the air and they kill children.

    Do you see me attacking/ suing/ insulting car owners? Over my dead body.

    Will people ever stop driving cars? No.

    Guess I have to move. Life is a bitch.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  6. #66
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,443

    Default

    its loud where i live too, and the guy from the gym was a while ago now unfort.

  7. #67
    Elite Member DeChayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    ...I don't own a car. I hate cars. They pollute the air and they kill children...
    Or in effie's case, old ladies

  8. #68
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,133

    Default

    Nah, Effie's an expert. She gently bumps into them to put them in their place.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  9. #69
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,443

    Default

    well like i bitched at my property manager,i dont sit outside on my balcony throwing shit down below or pouring water down there, but now i just dont care. i've noticed that my asshole neighbor above me who sounds like an elephant up there has been loud as fuck ever since these bitches moved in. im thinking they think im the one sending smoke up into their place!

  10. #70
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

    As for what Lobelia said, I'm sorry for anyone who lost a loved one to smoking or anything else. Sincerely. However, I wouldn't tolerate someone bitching at me or lecturing me or whining to me about a personal choice I made just because of their personal issues. For instance, just because someone's dad died from smoking doesn't make it acceptable to nag the shit out of another adult, as if that ever works anyway. All it does is make the nagger temporarily feel some sense of control.
    Oh, I agree about the lecturing & nagging. Completely. I was just offering moodyjenny a viewpoint on why people might feel very strongly about smoking, even when nobody seems to be bothering them with it. But yes, it doesn't give them the right to go around preaching to people. It's just like drinking, religion, politics, whatever.
    Last edited by Lobelia; October 2nd, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  11. #71
    Elite Member MoodyJenny86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    But that's my point. Lots of us are directly affected by smoking in ways that you don't actually *see*, if you get my meaning.

    I just don't know anybody like the people you're describing, so I'm having some trouble with the concept. I just can't imagine that there are a significant number of people in the world who have no real reason to bitch about smoking, but just do it anyway. And not only bitch, but do their best to harrass smokers and make them miserable. I've just never seen that.
    ^Yes...I got your point. I understand that a lot of you are directly affected by smoking- maybe someone in your family smokes or someone died or you were subjected to it as a child...but oh boy...are there REALLY people out there who bitch about smokers for no reason! If they could have it their way they'd BAN smoking altogether even though it's a personal choice!

    Damn it, where is Kingcap when you need him???

    The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

  12. #72
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoodyJenny86 View Post
    ^Yes...I got your point. I understand that a lot of you are directly affected by smoking- maybe someone in your family smokes or someone died or you were subjected to it as a child...but oh boy...are there REALLY people out there who bitch about smokers for no reason! If they could have it their way they'd BAN smoking altogether even though it's a personal choice!

    Damn it, where is Kingcap when you need him???
    Here I am! *waves hand frantically*

    Seriously, I understand those nonsmokers who HATE smoking because they lost a loved one. But with that said, it doesn't give them the right to make other smokers feel guilty.

    And, yeah, I've definitely met those nonsmokers who love to bash and lecture smokers for no reason by telling you that "it's a disgusting habit" or "Ugh, how can you stand to smoke?" Or they give you the 'Oh, you smoke' look of disdain as if you just drop-kicked a puppy.

  13. #73
    Elite Member Penny Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    21,647

    Default

    This may be surprising but my grandfather almost died from complications that stemmed, in some part, from his smoking habit. He grew up on a farm and started smoked at the age of 8... he got sick at about 75.. that's 67 years of smoking. I would accidentally get burned as a child when I would reach out to hug him or grab his hand or something because of the perpetual cigarette he held.. just to give you a clear picture about how often he smoked. Is it good that he smoked around me? No, of course not. But my point is, he smoked ALOT. He got sick and quit COLD TURKEY.. kept a cigarette in his pocket for a few years just to prove he was able to not smoke. I have personal experience with health issues and smoking in my family... almost everyone does. People like to assume that smokers don't know the consequences of their actions... we do. Not only are we constantly reminded of it by non-smokers but it's everywhere in the media, school books, health classes, etc. Is it a good vice to have? No. But I feel demonized sometimes.. a few people have made me feel like I'm to blame for everything that's wrong just because I smoke. And yea, maybe when people smoke inconsiderately with a brazen and complete disregard for those around them they deserve to be told off... but seriously, I follow the rules, I stick to my smoking-designated areas (the first year I lived on campus I actually looked up the smoking areas on a campus map just so I could have it in my head "Ok, smoking is OK here, here, and here"), I respect other people in their own homes and cars... I just think people use really unfounded generalities as a rationale for treating ALL smokers like assholes sometimes.
    Last edited by Penny Lane; October 2nd, 2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: grammar

  14. #74
    Silver Member gardenofeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centre of the Universe Canada
    Posts
    549

    Default

    I don't mind smokers, so long as they keep the fuck away from me. I grew up with my mom smoking like a chimney and I avoid cigarette smoke like the plague. Last time we went to Vegas we forgot to ask for a non-smoking room, on top of the fact that there is smoke everywhere. We were gone for a weekend, and by the time we returned home, we felt like hell.

    I do think this person is a little nuts, although smoke free buildings would be nice for apartment dwellers. I have a house, so no biggie for me. What I hate is people who don't respect the smoke free areas, and I can't tell you how many times I've been in a smoke free environment only to have some asshole light up. Get your lazy smokey ass out of the area to light up.

  15. #75
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,427

    Default

    Well, I will defer to those of you on the receiving end of this treatment (that Penny describe) because I've obviously never experienced it myself. I guess I've never noticed this type of thing because it wasn't happening to me. I know that in the 70's & 80's, the opposite was true. People in general weren't considerate, and the prevailing attitude was that smoking was a right. Smoke was everywhere, in the workplace, on airplanes, in waiting rooms, in the grocery stores, and there was no escaping it. Woe to those who complained about it. Then like a lot of things, when the attitude started to shift in the other direction, the pendulum swung to the other extreme. Surely we can eventually meet in the middle on this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Woman sues zoo over splashing dolphins
    By celeb_2006 in forum News
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: August 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
  2. Britney Spears smoking outside her home in L.A. (03/20/08)
    By carrie2008 in forum Latest Photos
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
  3. Woman sues Walgreens for miscarriage
    By hotmommy in forum News
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: October 26th, 2007, 05:41 AM
  4. Woman sues after failed abortion
    By Laurent in forum News
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 8th, 2007, 01:45 AM
  5. Catherine Zeta Jones Banned From Smoking At Home
    By MaryJane in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2006, 01:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •