Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Child dies, now parents want to ban window blind cords

What the fuck is next? I remember the house I grew up in as a toddler and child (my mom is just now selling it). It's nothing short of a miracle I survived apparently!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    My house isn't child-proof at all. If you bring your snotty offspring with you they are your responsibility and I expect you to look after them.
    This is it - our house isn't child proof but some people pull a face when they come around because there's nicknacks and small items at a low level and tools etc and they usually have their children in tow and their kids obviously haven't ever been taught visiting manners (in other words you can hare about and trash shit in your own house if that's what you are used to but when visiting you sit on your hands and be polite).

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    Got it ^ I agree with this completely, hence, why I am so paranoid. I don't expect everyone to make their home child safe, that would be ridiculous. I am sure I do some things in my home that others might find inappropriate for their children to be around as well. lol we have a lot of boudoir photography sitting around, while not life-threatening I am sure it is offensive to some parents. Oh well. We can do play dates at the park then.
    The OH loves vintage pin up art and has a few framed prints in the living room and some of them are slightly racy. The same person who tuts about the house not being child friendly also seriously tuts about those, but also lets the kids watch the music channels with Rhianna et al bumping, grinding and crotch wrestling.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^^ Don't you know everyone's lives must revolve around the children?? You must keep your house child proof at all times, in case they come visit. And also protect them from moral corruption at all times!!
    We had a 5 year old visitor a couple weeks ago, he jumped up and down on the couch until he almost fell into the coffee table. His mother didn't say a word. Hub told him NO MORE and he screeched like a banshee.
    Bluebonnet, Kittylady and Quazar like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

My parents had a pool when I was born. Do you think they moved out? Hell no thank god. They always kept an eye on me and also taught me how to swim at the earlies possible age.
    rockchick likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I think having good common sense and especially having cats and dogs over the years really better prepared me for having a toddler running around. The things dogs, cats and kids find fascinating are very different than what an adult finds interesting. I was very careful with leaving small items laying around, very careful with medicine, cleaning products, sharp things, etc.

If I've been invited to someone's house for dinner, I don't expect them to childproof, just use common sense. I can't hold my toddler for three hours, so please don't leave scissors or an open bottle of pills in the family room Otherwise, I'm good. I don't let her go wandering around.
    rollo likes this.

We had NO safety stuff when I was a child. Even so, my worst injuries as a child were ones that you couldn't really prevent, unless you were lucky enough to be born a lot less stupid than me:

• One years old - fell on the front porch and broke my index finger
    • Three years older - was running around with a friend at the babysitter's house fell in bathroom and hit my forehead on the bathtub. Needed about three stitches to close it.
    • 7 years old - ran up the slide of a jungle gym and forgot about the sliding pole at the top. Fell down the pole and was knocked unconscious. Woke up to see all my friends staring down at me wondering if I was still alive.
    • 9 years old - was riding with my mom to a swim lesson. She asked me if I had locked my door. Instead of checking the lock, I opened the door. And fell out. Except I was still holding onto the door handle and was being dragged about 30 feet along the pavement before my mom noticed what was wrong. Amazingly enough, no scars.
    • 10 years old - was fighting with my mom about getting a haircut. We get to the barbership and while I'm getting out of the car my mom is so flustered she accidentally slams the door on my fingertip. She puts me back int he car and drives me to our pediatrician. He looks at my fingernail, which has already turned black, and says, "We are going to have to drill through the nail to relieve the pressure." I scream "No!" but before I can get away, three nurses pin me to the table and the doctor jabs a needle through my fingernail. Blood spurts up about a foot in the air and then I throw up all over the place.

Good times!

Good God, Mo! Your poor mom!

Speaking of falling out of the car. When I was about 4, I had gone to play at a friends house with 2 other girls and so the mom was taking us somewhere and there were 3 of us little girls riding in the back seat (no seatbelts of course...it was in the stoneage)....and when the mom turned the corner onto another street, the back door fell open and her little girl went tumbling into someone's front yard. Luckily, it was residential streets so the mom wasn't going over 15-20 mph. Other than the mom and the girl being totally freaked out....the girl was OK. The mom just checked her over, put her back into the car, wiped her tears away and we continued on.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    We had NO safety stuff when I was a child. Even so, my worst injuries as a child were ones that you couldn't really prevent, unless you were lucky enough to be born a lot less stupid than me:

• One years old - fell on the front porch and broke my index finger
    • Three years older - was running around with a friend at the babysitter's house fell in bathroom and hit my forehead on the bathtub. Needed about three stitches to close it.
    • 7 years old - ran up the slide of a jungle gym and forgot about the sliding pole at the top. Fell down the pole and was knocked unconscious. Woke up to see all my friends staring down at me wondering if I was still alive.
    • 9 years old - was riding with my mom to a swim lesson. She asked me if I had locked my door. Instead of checking the lock, I opened the door. And fell out. Except I was still holding onto the door handle and was being dragged about 30 feet along the pavement before my mom noticed what was wrong. Amazingly enough, no scars.
    • 10 years old - was fighting with my mom about getting a haircut. We get to the barbership and while I'm getting out of the car my mom is so flustered she accidentally slams the door on my fingertip. She puts me back int he car and drives me to our pediatrician. He looks at my fingernail, which has already turned black, and says, "We are going to have to drill through the nail to relieve the pressure." I scream "No!" but before I can get away, three nurses pin me to the table and the doctor jabs a needle through my fingernail. Blood spurts up about a foot in the air and then I throw up all over the place.

Good times!
    ^^I am laughing and cringing at the same time.
    Last edited by ConstanceSpry; October 2nd, 2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: forgot to quote
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Good God, Mo! Your poor mom!

Speaking of falling out of the car. When I was about 4, I had gone to play at a friends house with 2 other girls and so the mom was taking us somewhere and there were 3 of us little girls riding in the back seat (no seatbelts of course...it was in the stoneage)....and when the mom turned the corner onto another street, the back door fell open and her little girl went tumbling into someone's front yard. Luckily, it was residential streets so the mom wasn't going over 15-20 mph. Other than the mom and the girl being totally freaked out....the girl was OK. The mom just checked her over, put her back into the car, wiped her tears away and we continued on.
    The funny part was that my parents considered my best friend to be the accident prone one. When we were about 11, we were playing in my front yard, and one of my friends pushed him backward over my bookbag (not deliberately - it was just there). My best friend fell over it and cried REALLY hard. But he did that all the time, so we were telling him "knock it off you big baby!". It turned out he had broken both his forearms. Then about a year later, he was riding his bicycle from my house back to his without looking up. He crashed into a car that wasn't normally parked where it was. Broke a forearm (AGAIN) and cracked a couple of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I think having good common sense and especially having cats and dogs over the years really better prepared me for having a toddler running around. The things dogs, cats and kids find fascinating are very different than what an adult finds interesting. I was very careful with leaving small items laying around, very careful with medicine, cleaning products, sharp things, etc.

If I've been invited to someone's house for dinner, I don't expect them to childproof, just use common sense. I can't hold my toddler for three hours, so please don't leave scissors or an open bottle of pills in the family room Otherwise, I'm good. I don't let her go wandering around.

That's the ONE concession we have to visiting children - all pills and needles are kept in an upper cupboard, with the exception of insulin which is in the fridge (cartridges only).
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    This is it - our house isn't child proof but some people pull a face when they come around because there's nicknacks and small items at a low level and tools etc and they usually have their children in tow and their kids obviously haven't ever been taught visiting manners (in other words you can hare about and trash shit in your own house if that's what you are used to but when visiting you sit on your hands and be polite).

The OH loves vintage pin up art and has a few framed prints in the living room and some of them are slightly racy. The same person who tuts about the house not being child friendly also seriously tuts about those, but also lets the kids watch the music channels with Rhianna et al bumping, grinding and crotch wrestling.
    And let me guess who that is....
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    ^^ Don't you know everyone's lives must revolve around the children?? You must keep your house child proof at all times, in case they come visit. And also protect them from moral corruption at all times!!
    We had a 5 year old visitor a couple weeks ago, he jumped up and down on the couch until he almost fell into the coffee table. His mother didn't say a word. Hub told him NO MORE and he screeched like a banshee.
    See, I'm not that tollerant, my house - my rules. Don't like it? Go play in the field.

we had good manners drummed into us at an early age, maybe some of these new-age hippies would do a little better preparing their little snowflakes for cunts like me that say "No" it they did a little more of it themselves.
    Seriously, the world doesn't revolve around them & they are heading for some seriously hard times as adults when that haven't worked that out but have to live in the real world. Or mama gets pregnant with another sprog.
    Free Charmed.

And let me guess who that is....

See, I'm not that tollerant, my house - my rules. Don't like it? Go play in the field.

we had good manners drummed into us at an early age, maybe some of these new-age hippies would do a little better preparing their little snowflakes for cunts like me that say "No" it they did a little more of it themselves.
    Seriously, the world doesn't revolve around them & they are heading for some seriously hard times as adults when that haven't worked that out but have to live in the real world. Or mama gets pregnant with another sprog.
    That's very true. Ma Kitty would have whupped us to within an inch of our lives if we'd misbehaved while out and about or visiting. Any private feuds between my brother and I had to wait until we got home as any pinching, poking or winding up would not be tolerated while out. If it didn't belong to us then we didn't touch it. If we were told to sit somewhere we sat there until we were excused and didn't treat the surrounding area as a demolition derby.

I'm all for kids 'expressing themselves' and 'exercising their curiosity' so long as they do it in places that are appropriate (i.e. not my house).

I half remember being in France on holiday & going out to dinner at a restaurant. I must've been 5 or so. Thank goodness my sister behaved & left me alone, because all of a sudden we hear the angry hushed stage whisper "regard les Anglaise!!!" Yep. For 3 seconds we were quiet & the little French boys got told to behave & act like us...
    Kittylady and yanna like this.
    Free Charmed.

Ma Kitty would have whupped us to within an inch of our lives if we'd misbehaved while out and about or visiting.
    I'm 46, and my mother *still* says, if I smart off, "Inigo-Every-Name-You-Have-Montoya, you are not to old to be spanked."
    Kittylady and dexter7 like this.

Thirtynine and mine can still stop me dead in my tracks with a look. Hell hath no fury like a Ma Kitty on the warpath!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information