Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Child dies, now parents want to ban window blind cords

My house isn't child-proof at all. If you bring your snotty offspring with you they are your responsibility and I expect you to look after them*. I do not have unattended children, but then I don't have blinds either. However we do have curtains, the usual household cleaners, washing powders, sharp knives & kitchen implements, vehicles, solvents, fuels, tools, etc. and then there is the wildlife. Don't get me started on his sister staying here & having to close all the windows (in the middle summer) so the foxes didn't get in.... Like they're going to chose a house over lovely juicy fat bunnies? Winter yes, summer no.

* Not "you" personally MmeV!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    My house isn't child-proof at all. If you bring your snotty offspring with you they are your responsibility and I expect you to look after them

* Not "you" personally MmeV!
    Got it ^ I agree with this completely, hence, why I am so paranoid. I don't expect everyone to make their home child safe, that would be ridiculous. I am sure I do some things in my home that others might find inappropriate for their children to be around as well. lol we have a lot of boudoir photography sitting around, while not life-threatening I am sure it is offensive to some parents. Oh well. We can do play dates at the park then.
    Novice likes this.

Haha! His sister has MASSIVE issues with my dog, so it goes both ways!
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post

shop.
    Damn, that looks comfortable! I want an adult sized one. That and one of those battery operated swings.

I wish they did make those swings in adult size omg those damn things look comfy
    KrisNine, Flygirl and greysfang like this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I know this was in the UK, but that type of blind cord isn't even allowed in the U.S. anymore, is it? IIRC, they've been banned here for a while....
    I have them in my current apartment (they were here when I moved in), though I've taken most of them down to put up curtains. this is a very sad story

I didn't know that those cords have been banned. My last apartment was in an old building, and it had cords. I moved out in 2010. The place where I live now have vertical blinds that slide to the left and right.
    Just looked at her pic. Look at her little teeth! Love me some bebehs! Can't wait to have my own. I'm 34 (my guy is 33, no kids either) and so happy that we are waiting to have children. Seeing how parents treat their kids, stories, taking care of family and friends children, and research have all opened my eyes to better myself as a parent. Of course each child is different, so is having your own, but certain things make me more aware.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

this is really sad but it's kind of up to the parents to take all necessary precautions to baby-proof their house.
    kids could fall down stairs too. should we outlaw those? and if you leave a baby unattended in the bath, it'll drown. should we ban bathtubs? and water?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

On some level I can understand that they want to raise awareness for this so more people will take this precaution. I, for one, had never heard of it. Though I don't have blinds so it's not a concern, I guess. I've seen similar campaigns for safe co-sleeping, for securing large pieces of furniture (I think it was some girl who managed to get a large bookcase to fall on her and she died). Parents want to make some sense of what happened and have their kid's death have some sort of meaning.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

Yeah, I understand that aspect of it, totally.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I didn't know that those cords have been banned. My last apartment was in an old building, and it had cords. I moved out in 2010. The place where I live now have vertical blinds that slide to the left and right.
    Just looked at her pic. Look at her little teeth! Love me some bebehs! Can't wait to have my own. I'm 34 (my guy is 33, no kids either) and so happy that we are waiting to have children. Seeing how parents treat their kids, stories, taking care of family and friends children, and research have all opened my eyes to better myself as a parent. Of course each child is different, so is having your own, but certain things make me more aware.
    They haven't...
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    It is a purely voluntary agreement, and they're not banned...

"ANSI/WCMA A100.1-2012, National Standard for Safety of Corded Window Covering Products, was approved on November 30, 2012. The revisions include: requirements for durability and performance testing of tension/hold down devices, including new requirements for anchoring; specific installation instructions and warnings; new requirements for products that rely on “wide lift bands” to raise and lower window coverings; new requirements for a warning label and pictograms on the outside of stock packaging and merchandising materials for corded products; and new testing requirements for cord accessibility, hazardous loop testing, roll-up style shade performance, and durability testing of all safety devices. CPSC staff believes that these changes should increase durability of certain components, encourage creativity in design, help improve consumer awareness of the strangulation risk associated with cords, and improve awareness of the safer products that should be used in homes with young children. CPSC - Window Blind Co
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    this is really sad but it's kind of up to the parents to take all necessary precautions to baby-proof their house.
    kids could fall down stairs too. should we outlaw those? and if you leave a baby unattended in the bath, it'll drown. should we ban bathtubs? and water?
    When our kids were toddlers, our house was like Fort Knox on the inside. You couldn't open a drawer or cupboard from 3 feet high on down without having to reach inside and press some kind of secret button. And we had baby gates like Grand Central Station has turnstyles. It was crazy. The irony was that our kids NEVER, EVER got into stuff they weren't supposed to mess with.

We never had those blinds cords that open and close them. We always had that twisty rod that would do it. Which is way better than the cord.
    rockchick and yanna like this.

It's not ironic that your kids never got into anything that they shouldn't Mo, I'd say that 75% of it was due to the Fort Knox safety systems, if not more. You have to keep your eye on the slippery little buggers at all times!
    MohandasKGanja and yanna like this.
    Free Charmed.

I had the cord wind ups. They are about $2 or $3 in the baby section at WalMart, Target, etc. To be honest, I mostly got them more to protect the cats than the kids because I never really had my eyes off the kids. On the rare occasion they didn't follow me to the bathroom, I had the door open and was watching/listening.

MmeVertigina likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^^I was going to say, my kid is almost always in my sight. She follows me everywhere. I don't even close the door when I go to the bathroom anymore.

When I was 2 (now 33...ugg, when did that happen!), I was playing in my sisters room while my mom was fixing her hair in the bathroom. I was literally across the hallway from them. Somehow, I managed to fall in between the strings and thankfully they were so close. My mom said I was a mix between green and blue when she heard the gagging sounds. Scary! Very sad for these parents.

Because of that I'm pretty anal about blinds. But, it's not terribly difficult to get those little command hooks an loop the window blind cord about them. It's easy and quick.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information