Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Child dies after fall into zoo exhibit and being attacked by African painted dogs

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I looked it up and it looks like it was an urban legend. I had read it in National Lampoon Magazine back in the let 70's early 80's, in their Weird News section. Basically, a mom had put honey on her daughter's hands so that she could get a photo of the bear licking her daughters hands -- except he chomped them off. Snopes says that they have not been able to find proof that this was a real story - which I'm happy to read.
    Well, I couldn't have thought of that scenario if I tried. I'm glad it's (hopefully) not true.....

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    But people really are just that stupid. Remember a year or two ago some grown ass German woman decided to swim with the polar bears at the Berlin Zoo, and then was shocked, SHOCKED, when they tried to eat her?

ETA: I found the video:

I remember her. I guess she had to be crazy to do that, but it still pisses me off she could have put other people in danger trying to save her ass.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    But people really are just that stupid. Remember a year or two ago some grown ass German woman decided to swim with the polar bears at the Berlin Zoo, and then was shocked, SHOCKED, when they tried to eat her?

ETA: I found the video:

Yeah, there are a very disturbing number of stories and clips of people going into a wild animal's pen. Usually, they have some kind of mental issues. There is a more disturbing clip (on both YouTube and eBaum's World) of a guy getting attacked in a Brown Bear's pen. I don't have the link, but the guy got pretty chomped on and still survived.

Zoo mauling: Boy killed by dogs, not fall, autopsy shows

A 2-year-old Pennsylvania* boy was mauled to death by 11 African painted dogs after he slipped from a railing and fell into the exhibit. WXPI's Jodine Costanzo reports.
    By NBC News staff and wire services

A medical examiner has ruled that a 2-year-old boy who tumbled into an African painted dog exhibit at a Pittsburgh zoo was killed by the animals and not by the fall, a zoo official said Monday.

"What we understand from the medical examiner's report, the child did not die from the fall. The child was mauled by the dogs," said Barbara Baker, CEO and president of the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium,*WPIX-TV*reported.

Officials say the child's mother had placed the boy on a wooden rail above the exhibit so he could get a better look at the animals. There is a net below the rail, but Baker says the boy bounced off it and into the enclosure.

"The child initially was caught by the netting. From witness accounts the child was so small that he bounced, then he bounced twice and then bounced into the exhibit," Baker said.

Baker fought back tears as she discussed the incident during a press conference at the zoo on Monday.
    "The zoo feels terrible about this tragic accident that happened. It's your worst nightmare as a zoo professional," Baker said, according to WPIX-TV.

The animals attacked so quickly that by the time a veterinarian and other zoo staffers arrived, they determined it would have been futile to try to rescue the child, Baker said.

'Someone help!'
    Authorities said that zoo staff and then police responded "within minutes." Visitors described that time as being filled with screams for help.

"The screams just kept coming and coming: 'Someone help! Someone has to do something', Angela Cinti, a witness, told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Sunday.**

Zookeepers called off some of the dogs, and seven of them immediately went to a back building. Three more eventually were drawn away from the child, but the last dog was aggressive and police had to shoot the animal.
    "There were three dogs, one at his head, one on the left side of his neck and another one down by his leg, " Cinti told The Post-Gazette. A [zoo employee] got there and hopped over a fence with a rake and he was banging ... trying to distract the dogs, but they wouldn't move."

Experts said the death is highly unusual.
    Steve Feldman, a spokesman for the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, told The Associated Press no one he's spoken to can recall any deaths of children at an accredited zoo over the last 40 years or more. Feldman said the Pittsburgh Zoo successfully completed its five-year review in September, which means it meets or exceeds all safety standards.

Authorities didn't release the name of the boy but relatives identified him as Maddock Derkosh, according to the Post-Gazette. Authorities said*his mother is 34 years old and lives in Pleasant Hills, just outside Pittsburgh. The boy's father was identified by the Post-Gazette as*Jason Derkosh, a building designer at the architectural firm L. Robert Kimball & Associates.

The zoo was immediately closed, and it was not clear when it will reopen, authorities said.
    African painted dogs are about as big as medium-sized domestic dogs, and weight 37 to 80 pounds, according to the zoo. They have large, rounded ears and dark brown circles around their eyes and are considered endangered.

The attack happened in a 1.5 acre exhibit called the Painted Dog Bush Camp that's part of a larger open area where elephants, lions and other animals can be seen. Visitors walk onto a deck that is glassed on the sides, but open in front where the roughly four-foot railing is located.

In May, some of the dogs crawled under a fence and escaped into a part of the exhibit that's usually closed. The zoo was on lockdown for about an hour as a precaution and the animals were coaxed back in.

Fatal attacks
    Past fatal attacks have prompted zoos around the nation to review safety features of their exhibits. In 2007 a tiger jumped over a wall at the San Francisco Zoo, killing one visitor and wounding two others. Authorities first said the wall was 18 feet high, but a review found it was just 12 feet.

In September a man jumped off an elevated viewing train at the Bronx Zoo in New York and was severely mauled by tigers.

Kraus said there was nothing to prevent visitors to the Pittsburgh Zoo's painted dog exhibit from jumping into the exhibit area.

Police and the Allegheny County medical examiner's office are investigating, and they haven't yet interviewed the mother or father, who are receiving grief counseling.

Baker said the zoo, which has never had a visitor death, will also investigate. She said no decision has been made yet on the future of the exhibit.

NBC News's Sevil Omer and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...psy-shows?lite
    Last edited by Moongirl; November 5th, 2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: add link

I feel horrible for the parents because in the end, yeah it's an accident, but you gotta be more responsible than that. Don't put your child in any kind of danger - zoos are safe and the exhibits are well thought out, but they are not foolproof. Dang.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Kraus said there was nothing to prevent visitors to the Pittsburgh Zoo's painted dog exhibit from jumping into the exhibit area.

Police and the Allegheny County medical examiner's office are investigating
    , and they haven't yet interviewed the mother or father, who are receiving grief counseling.
    are they saying it was the zoo's fault? the mother's stupidity and lack of common sense is not the zoo's responsibility.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Elite Member

In the 90's, some woman climbed into the lions den at the National Zoo, while listening to Christian music through her headphones. She made it over 2 high concrete barriers and through a deep mote. Lions made short work of her while she was still in the water.

One time a friend of mine walked his dog through the entrance of the zoo in DC on a lark (dogs ain't allowed.) He took a left to look at the cheetahs who are normally bored, lying down, might as well be dead. Within seconds the cheetahs smelled/heard/saw the dog and went feral. They were flinging themselves at the barrier, leaping straight up in the air to try and surmount it. My friend said it was terrifying and he quickly skeedaddled.

I've been in a big cat exhibit with two dead looking panthers that came alive for a wobbly toddler. They stalked the kid through the glass and made ready to pounce.

People are stupid and forget these are wild animals with uncontrollable instincts.

I blame Disney.
    Seapharris7 and lurkur like this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

mjw
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post

I blame Disney.
    Huh? Joking, right?

Don't blame this shit on Simba.
    pinkbunnyslippers and laynes like this.

people are idiots and those parents will be punished for their stupidity the rest of their lives. very sad and all that but i also hope that this was their only child and that after this tragedy, they're going to drive themselves to the closest reproductive health clinic and have themselves sterilised.

it's because of idiots like these that pretty soon, zoos are going to have electric wire fence domes completely covering the animal enclosures, maybe even glass and armed guards to keep retards away from the railings.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What's incredibly sad is that a child and animal are both dead because of one stupid lapse of judgement.
    dowcat likes this.

At the 1:15 point, they show a reenactment of how the child was standing when he fell in. The mom literally had him standing on the railing. He lost balance, fell onto a net, bounced off of that and landed in the pit. I think the mom should have jumped in there and sacrificed herself to protect him since it was her fault he landed in their in the first place.

Boy dies after fall, mauling at Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium - YouTube

I find it absolutely disgusting that they shot one of the endangered dogs as a result of this. I've been involved in Painted Dog conservation awareness and fundraising efforts for several years. African Painted Dogs are well known for being extremely aggressive, and this is often indicated on the information plaques near their exhibits in the zoo. Often, their handlers at the zoo are not even able to enter their exhibit for any reason without corraling them into a caged off area first. Any mom who allows her child to stand on the railing is an idiot. I'm not surprised that the animals ganged up on the child. They work as a group to kill their prey, and they eat everything that they kill and make sure that every member of their pack gets to eat.

I am tired of zoo animals being killed for acting on their natural instincts because some idiot decides to break the zoo's rules. If this family gets any compensation from the zoo as a result of this incident, I will be very upset.
    Last edited by southernbelle; November 6th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

I see parents doing things like this all the time, at zoos, ball games, etc. Luckily a child doesn't die every time a parent does something foolish.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I know; every time that I go to the zoo, I see some parent lifting their kid over the railing, or pushing aside a rope barrier so their kid can get closer to the exhibit, or letting their kid beat on the glass in the reptile house. The rules are there for the safety of everyone at the zoo (not just these parents' kids) and the animals, but these parents don't care. That's not as important as Braxtyn or Khaydynce getting special treatment!!! And of course, these entitled parents who don't hesitate to blatantly break the rules also don't hesitate to slap the zoo with a lawsuit when their own stupidity and belief that rules don't apply to them results in a serious injury or death.
    lurkur and ConstanceSpry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    people are idiots and those parents will be punished for their stupidity the rest of their lives. very sad and all that but i also hope that this was their only child and that after this tragedy, they're going to drive themselves to the closest reproductive health clinic and have themselves sterilised.

it's because of idiots like these that pretty soon, zoos are going to have electric wire fence domes completely covering the animal enclosures, maybe even glass and armed guards to keep retards away from the railings.
    Was the father even there? I don't see any reports of that.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Was the father even there? I don't see any reports of that.
    that's true. but he should go out of solidarity.
    dexter7 and Trixie like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information