Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: CBS WKBT News Anchor's On-Air Response to Viewer Calling Her Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I think she totally overreacted. She said it was a private note sent to her, right? Why give the guy's words any power? She shone the spotlight on her own weight and then claimed she was being bullied. BS. She's just proven she doesn't have the "thick skin" she's mentioned.
    She didn't out the note; her husband did, possibly without her permission and/or participation.

Then, many responses came in and word spread, so at some point she was obligated to respond. Not really her fault.

I thought her response was eloquent and thoughtful, even with the annoying trendiness of bringing up bullying blah blah blah; but it's not like it's gonna change anything imo. People are mean. And in other news, the sky is blue.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Frankly, I'm more concerned about the message that news anchors whose only job qualifications are nice hair and big tits sends to young girls than the one-off television personality who doesn't look like every bobbleheaded bimbo in Hollywood.
    Get a look at the anchors in the LA market:

Lauren Sanchez

Jillian Reynolds

Elita Loresca

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    And now he looks like Stephen Colbert on steroids. That's got to mess with your head a little.
    That made me burst out laughing!

I could have done without the bullying segue, but what gets me is that supposedly society has been knocking down all these stereotype walls for so long - appearance doesn't affect how well a person does their job, we should be accepting of peoples' differences, etc. and now that it's started to happen, all these judgmental idiots come out of the woodwork to share all their unsolicited advice like they're experts on everything. I think I'd rather he just called her a fat cow than sent that condescending and presumptuous email.

The news station probably did take advantage of the email to promote their human interest bully story, but as soon as that steroidy Stephen Colbert wannabe hit send on the email, all bets were off. She could respond anyway she wanted and she did.

ETA - good grief at those LA anchors. Now I'm being judgmental. lol
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Was what he wrote posted in a public forum or just emailed to her? Either way it's lame, he sounds like a total A-hole, but I am kind of getting tired of every critical statement falling under the same canopy as bullying.

If he mailed this to her in a paper letter she would probably have had someone else opening it and it would have been tossed, or she would have tossed it herself, but because it is public people feel the need to react to what other people say about them.

I think giving him NO air time would have been the best solution. If his comment was on a public board and it had nothing to do with the topics to be discussed someone should just have removed it as inappropriate and off-topic.

ETA I see it was a private email. She owes him no explanation, nor does she owe one to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post

Lauren Sanchez

Jillian Reynolds

Elita Loresca

Jeez! There is so much silicone in them that they could seal my whole house & still have some silicone left over to do the dog kennel.
    McJag and Kat Scorp like this.
    Free Charmed.

I think the husband was a bit of a wanker for posting it on facebook and giving it a forum. Makes me wonder if this was hubby's roundabout way of pressuring her to lose weight, pretending to defend her while embarrassing her at the same time.
    MmeVertigina and yanna like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think calling them a bully is just too nice. I say we call them what they really are: assholes. Why be so polite? I'm not anymore. That guy is a fucking asshole.
    greysfang, Laurent and chartreuse like this.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I think the husband was a bit of a wanker for posting it on facebook and giving it a forum. Makes me wonder if this was hubby's roundabout way of pressuring her to lose weight, pretending to defend her while embarrassing her at the same time.
    Ugh. That's worse yet. I was a little confused on that point, as to why the husband posted it on facebook and all that.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Ugh. That's worse yet. I was a little confused on that point, as to why the husband posted it on facebook and all that.
    I think the jury was still out on whether that was the husband's goal or whether he consulted with her in the first place. I can't find confirmation of either. Here was his original post on his FaceBook page, though:

WKBT Mike Thompson

September 28

Ok. I really don't know where to begin here. I've posted about negative emails the station has received in the past, but this one delivered specifically to my wife, morning anchor Jennifer Livingston, has just infuriated me. Seriously, the fact that there are people out there like this (and I understand this person is a lawyer in town) makes me sick to my stomach. Here's the e-mail:

Hi Jennifer,

It's unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn't improved for many years. Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you'll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.

349Like Comment Share

I'd be a little disturbed if the husband posted it without her permission. I was hoping she had said it was OK, but possibly not.
    ~Manx Mouse

Elite Member

I think where the asshole crossed the line is talking about her suitability as a role model for children. Telling her she's fat--which she already knows is one thing--but that is another. That's where he crosses the line into bullying and basically telling her that her value as a person is based on her weight. Dickhead.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post

Lauren Sanchez

Jillian Reynolds

Elita Loresca

Yea, cause I'd fully trust anything that they have read from a prompter!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

At least she's not a meteorologist, forced to stand in front of a map all the time. I am kinda impressed with CNN international's Mari Ramos, she keeps getting bigger and sometimes she hides entire continents on the map. CNN has stuck with her, though.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

fgg

jillian looks wall-eyed in that picture. i've never noticed that before.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information