Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: CBS WKBT News Anchor's On-Air Response to Viewer Calling Her Fat

fgg

oops, my chip is on the fritz today.

Ron Livingston Is 'Proud' of His Sister, Bullied TV Anchor Jennifer Livingston

Jennifer Livingston can obviously hold her own against bullies, but the TV anchor who stood up to a viewer who criticized her weight, has another person in her corner: her brother, actor Ron Livingston.

"My sister Jennifer ... brings an exceptional dedication to her job, her family, and her community, and has been a role model of mine for many, many years," the actor known for roles in Office Space and Sex and the City said in a statement Wednesday.

The actor goes on to say he's "extremely proud" of his sibling, who is also an Emmy-winning journalist and mother of three daughters.

On Tuesday morning, Livingston, a CBS WKBT news anchor in La Crosse, Wis., appeared on air and read an email from a viewer, who was harshly critical of her appearance.

"I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn't improved for many years," the viewer wrote. "Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular."

Livingston hit back with a passionate response calling the email "cruel." (See the full video below.)

"You know nothing about me but what you see on the outside," she said. "And I am much more than a number on the scale."
    Last edited by fgg; October 4th, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I think she totally overreacted. She said it was a private note sent to her, right? Why give the guy's words any power? She shone the spotlight on her own weight and then claimed she was being bullied. BS. She's just proven she doesn't have the "thick skin" she's mentioned.
    yanna likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    he looks like this:

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, She can lose the weight, but he'll always be ugly.....

Oct 5, 2012 9:36am

‘Bully’ Viewer ‘Never Meant to Hurt’ Overweight TV Anchor Jennifer Livingston

Email 16 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

Days after defending his infamous email to local Wisconsin TV anchor Jennifer Livingston criticizing her weight, Kenneth Krause now says he “never meant to hurt” her and would possibly revise how he handled the situation.
    Krause’s email to Livingston - in which he questioned her example as a role model for young girls because of her weight and asked her to “reconsider” her responsibility as a “local public personality” – went viral after her husband, and fellow anchor at WKBT-TV in La Crosse, Wis., Mike Thompson, posted it to his Facebook page.
    The email then made national headlines after Livingston, a mother of three young girls, addressed it head-on in a more than four-minute, on-air editorial address Tuesday morning that took Krause to task for questioning her role as a community role model without knowing the facts behind her struggle with weight.
    READ MORE: Overweight TV Anchor Responds to Viewer ‘Bully’
    “To the person who wrote me that letter, do you think I don’t know that?” she said of Krause’s labeling her as overweight.
    In his first public comments since Livingston’s on-air editorial, Krause told ABC News’ Alex Perez that his intention was not to hurt Livingston.
    “If she is offended, I truly apologize to Jennifer,” Krause said. “That’s the last thing I ever wanted to do.”
    Krause admits he did not watch Livingston’s on-air editorial himself, but still empathizes with the anchor, who has said she has a thyroid condition that makes it difficult to lose weight, despite being a triathlete and a runner.
    WATCH: Jennifer Livingston Fights Weight Criticism
    A photo of Krause’s posing behind a mountain bike in a tank top, helmet and bulging biceps appeared on the Facebook page of Brian Simpson, a local radio host and friend of Livingston’s who invited Krause to appear on his show. Krause, however, says he has not always been so fit.
    “I can empathize with that,” Krause said of Livingston’s condition. “I was obese as a child. I’ve been fighting all my life.”
    After Livingston spoke on-air, Krause, who was first identified by WKBT as the author in a story on its website, responded with the following statement to the station.
    “Given this country’s present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston’s fortuitous position in the community, I hope she will finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year, and, to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer Jennifer any advice or support she would be willing to accept.”
    READ MORE: Livingston’s Famous Brother Stands by Her Side
    A few days removed from that statement, Krause says he might have taken a different approach.
    “It’s possible I would revise a few things,” he told ABC News. “I never meant to hurt Jennifer. If she is truly hurt, I do apologize for that.”
    Livingston, for her part, said she is trying to improve her health, but not because of Krause.
    “I think, in his mind, he [Krause] views himself as being helpful which is what I think a little bit of the problem is,” she said in a live appearance Wednesday on “Good Morning America.” “He doesn’t see that the way that he approached it was clearly hurtful to me. He’s trying to shame me into losing weight. That’s not being helpful. That’s being a bully.”
    In her on-air address, Livingston also pointed out that October is National Anti-Bullying Month, and advised parents to be careful how they conducted themselves around their children so they didn’t pass on negative lessons.
    “I do believe that for the majority of kids out there, this behavior is learned. It’s coming from somewhere else,” Livingston told “GMA.” “We all as adults need to take the time to have the discussion with our children about what’s important, about whether kindness is the way that we want to be or do we want to be critical about the way someone looks.”
    Krause, who in earlier media reports was identified as an attorney but is a local security guard, says he is not the bully Livingston has made him out to be.
    “I’m in no position to bully her,” he said. “She’s a big media personality. I’m just a working stiff.”
    Free Charmed.

Jennifer Livingston's husband (and co-anchor):

“I can empathize with that,” Krause said of Livingston’s condition. “I was obese as a child. I’ve been fighting all my life.”
    ah, he's a former fatty. that explains so much.
    chartreuse and Honey like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

And now he looks like Stephen Colbert on steroids. That's got to mess with your head a little.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ah, he's a former fatty. that explains so much.
    He's projecting his issues with food and exercise on someone else. He seems like a sanctimonious jackass who wants to control the environment around him on a constant basis. And he's an ambulance-chaser to boot.

I thought the anchor only addressed the email on TV because her Husband (who is an evening anchor on the same station) forwarded the email to the rest of the newsroom. However, sad as it is to say, newsanchors are judged based on their looks almost as much, if not more than their talent.

Don't get me started on people who want to give unsolicited advice on weight-loss that no one asked for in the first place. I remember when I was fatter, people would try to chastise me for eating unhealthy foods, as if I didn't know a 2-piece and a biscuit from Popeye's wasn't healthy food to eat. I would pretty much say, "Well no shit!" or "Tell me something I don't know!'' When they retorted that "They were only trying to help," I happily let them know that they weren't.

And now some of the same fuckers are saying that "I shouldn't be so obsessive about what I eat," or that I "shouldn't try to lose more". Did I mention that I hate a lot of people? LOL...
    Waterslide and Kat Scorp like this.

Elite Member

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the message that news anchors whose only job qualifications are nice hair and big tits sends to young girls than the one-off television personality who doesn't look like every bobbleheaded bimbo in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    He's projecting his issues with food and exercise on someone else. He seems like a sanctimonious jackass who wants to control the environment around him on a constant basis. And he's an ambulance-chaser to boot.

I thought the anchor only addressed the email on TV because her Husband (who is an evening anchor on the same station) forwarded the email to the rest of the newsroom. However, sad as it is to say, newsanchors are judged based on their looks almost as much, if not more than their talent.

Don't get me started on people who want to give unsolicited advice on weight-loss that no one asked for in the first place. I remember when I was fatter, people would try to chastise me for eating unhealthy foods, as if I didn't know a 2-piece and a biscuit from Popeye's wasn't healthy food to eat. I would pretty much say, "Well no shit!" or "Tell me something I don't know!'' When they retorted that "They were only trying to help," I happily let them know that they weren't.

And now some of the same fuckers are saying that "I shouldn't be so obsessive about what I eat," or that I "shouldn't try to lose more". Did I mention that I hate a lot of people? LOL...
    I supported my friend who lost 100 lbs slowly. She was fierce. She'd bring her water and her food scale with her everywhere and when she couldn't use it she'd eyeball it and have in depth discussions with restaurant servers about how the food was prepared. She was like fuck it, fuck you, I'm losing this weight!

I don't really think this had to do with bullying. I think he pissed her off but bullying? I don't know.
    hustle4alivin and yanna like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I supported my friend who lost 100 lbs slowly. She was fierce. She'd bring her water and her food scale with her everywhere and when she couldn't use it she'd eyeball it and have in depth discussions with restaurant servers about how the food was prepared. She was like fuck it, fuck you, I'm losing this weight!

I don't really think this had to do with bullying. I think he pissed her off but bullying? I don't know.
    I wouldn't consider this "bullying" either. He's a jackass, but not a bully.

bullying has become the flavor of the month, so to speak
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I don't consider it bullying either, he is just a judgmental jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    And he's an ambulance-chaser to boot.
    According to the update Novice posted, that was mis-reported.

Krause, who in earlier media reports was identified as an attorney but is a local security guard, says he is not the bully Livingston has made him out to be.
    “I’m in no position to bully her,” he said. “She’s a big media personality. I’m just a working stiff.”
    And I bet he called her a big media personality to get in another jab.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Well since October is bullying awareness month maybe they thought it was a good example to lead into the hot topic?
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Ahh probably Nov, you are wise. I think she's quite bloody right, where does that idiot get off giving her unsolicited advice? Interesting that she's Ron Livingston's sister, I hope she gave him crap about being stupid Berger in SATC, I hated him
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Can't wait for LeAnn's take on this.
    Kat Scorp likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information