Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 92

Thread: Caroline Lovell: Home birth advocate dies delivering own baby daughter at home

  1. #76
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,144

    Default

    the midwives but also the retarded parents. even if you are dumb enough to go for the whole home birth thing, the minute you hear the words 'cord around neck', you should be jumping out of the stupid pool and into a car heading straight for the hospital.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  2. #77
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    24,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    the midwives but also the retarded parents. even if you are dumb enough to go for the whole home birth thing, the minute you hear the words 'cord around neck', you should be jumping out of the stupid pool and into a car heading straight for the hospital.
    I happen to agree. But if for some reason the woman isn't able to think clearly enough to be able to do this when the time comes (which I guess is possible) then if nothing else, the damned midwives should have the good sense to call 911 and have her ass hauled off to the hospital.

    It seems like some of these midwives are so damned gung ho in their beliefs that this is something that can be and should be done at home that common sense goes right out the window.

    I will never understand taking such an unnecessary risk with your baby's health/life.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  3. #78
    Elite Member Ravenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,911

    Default

    I'm pretty sure I remember another story that was posted about another home birth advocate who lost the baby after a three day labour at home. How stubborn can you get?

    Even if it were equally safe, the idea of a home birth wouldn't appeal to me. I don't want all that mess and pain in my house. I prefer to remember when I brought my baby home.

  4. #79
    Elite Member stef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I just saw this story today, and it reminded me of the issue discussed here regarding induced labor. Of course, this was a very rare reason for doing it There is a pretty emotional video to go with it at the link:

    Your Morning Cry: Woman Induces Labor So Her Dying Husband Can Meet His Baby

    Last month, 52-year-old Mark Aulger was very sick with complications from his treatment for colon cancer. His wife Diane was pregnant and was just two weeks from her due date when the doctor informed them that Mark's condition was fatal. When he was told he only had five or six days to live, Mark said "I'd like to see the baby." Diane, 31, and her doctor decided to induce labor, and she gave birth to the daughter Savannah on January 18th, with Mark's hospital bed right next to hers.
    When they put baby Savannah in Mark's arms, Diane says he "cried, and he just looked very sad." He held her for about 45 minutes, but after that he was so fatigued that he could only hold her a few more times. He fell into a coma on January 21st, and Diane says, "I put her on him when he was in the coma a few times and his hand would move toward her." Oh my God. Time to grab another tissue. Mark died two days after falling into the coma, and Diane says, "It was just me and Savannah when he passed away."
    In case that hasn't gotten you sufficiently teary already, as of this Christmas, Mark thought he'd beaten the cancer. It was a freak complication with his lungs that arose suddenly and ended up taking his life. Just weeks before his death, the family, who lives in Texas, had been busy planning their future, and now Diane is left to raise the baby and their four other children. Though she's not entirely alone. Since their story hit the news, she's been getting lots of love from people all over the place—and she plans to keep Mark as a constant presence in their lives: "The kids still go on as if dad is really still here. Mark was a very funny guy. My kids still tell jokes how they would when he was around. He would have been a wonderful daddy to Savannah."
    i saw this on TV and it was heartbreaking. i can't hate on her for doing this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

  5. #80
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    One of the polemics used in this Home Birthing movement is that hospitals will force you to have a c-section. They use the statistics to show that home births and birthing centers end up in fewer c-sections than hospital births.

    Well, duh. You can't give a c-section at home or in a birthing center. The cases that need them get sent to hospitals, hopefully. So, of course hospitals will register more c-sections.

    It's been forgotten how many women and babies used to die in childbirth. Is the natural experience at home worth that?
    I don't know about other states, but here in PA, when a patient is transferred from a birthing center to a hospital, the c-section is counted in the records of the birthing center. They have to provide clients with numbers showing how many are transferred to the hospital for any reason during the birthing process. When I had my daughter, the stats were that 25+% of births were by c-section. Births at the Birth Center were about 11% c-section. They were very honest and said that their numbers were lower because a lot of c-sections are not needed but are done for convenience and fear of malpractice lawsuits, and because they did not take high risk cases like multiples or mothers more advanced in age.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  6. #81
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I don't know about other states, but here in PA, when a patient is transferred from a birthing center to a hospital, the c-section is counted in the records of the birthing center. They have to provide clients with numbers showing how many are transferred to the hospital for any reason during the birthing process. When I had my daughter, the stats were that 25+% of births were by c-section. Births at the Birth Center were about 11% c-section. They were very honest and said that their numbers were lower because a lot of c-sections are not needed but are done for convenience and fear of malpractice lawsuits, and because they did not take high risk cases like multiples or mothers more advanced in age.
    Nice to have the stats broken down like that! I wish the national stats were so carefully parsed. Your info agrees with my intuition, that the number of unnecessary c-sections at hospitals isn't epidemic, as many claim. What happens, I think, in some cases is the mother is exhausted and scared. Things are going slowly and the mother's distress/doctor's impatience (or fear of malpractice) winds up in a c-section in marginal cases. MIdwives might be more inclined to help the mother work through her panic, which can have an effect on the birth.

    I've talked to a few obstetricians who are incensed by the stats homebirthers pull out of their ass.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

  7. #82
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post

    I've talked to a few obstetricians who are incensed by the stats homebirthers pull out of their ass.
    funny how any movement with the word 'birther' in it seems to be full of idiots...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  8. #83
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    I will say that the rise in the rate of c-sections is epidemic. It all started when it became common place to sue a doctor if your child was born with any problems or the mother was unhappy. The lawyers started advertising non stop to get new clients. Insurance companies started doing quick settlements to just get rid of the cases. Then they jacked up the insurance premiums of the doctors to where they could no longer afford to practice. Doctors then started doing c-sections at the first sign of trouble since it would help avoid further lawsuits. They then realized they got paid a higher rates for performing a c-section. The hospitals got paid more since the mom and baby stayed in longer. In time they realized that scheduling the births in advance meant less middle of the night calls and so on...

    Here in PA, and other states in the area, we will soon have a shortage of Obstetrician because too many have left the state due to the high insurance or have changed their practice to well woman care only and will no longer do births.

    C-sections are great and thank God we have them to save lives. Still, they are performed too often.

    interesting article:
    http://www.soroptimist.org/articles/...etricians.html
    Last edited by sluce; February 14th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  9. #84
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    32,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I will say that the rise in the rate of c-sections is epidemic.
    I agree. About 1/3 of US births are C-section.

    This is from the CDC, hardly a pro-crunchy granola homebirth group.


    The cesarean rate rose by 53% from 1996 to 2007, reaching 32%, the highest rate ever reported in the United States.

    In 2007, nearly one-third (32%) of all births were cesarean deliveries (1). Although there are often clear clinical indications for a cesarean delivery, the short- and long-term benefits and risks for both mother and infant have been the subject of intense debate for over 25 years (2). Cesarean delivery involves major abdominal surgery, and is associated with higher rates of surgical complications and maternal rehospitalization, as well as with complications requiring neonatal intensive care unit admission (3–5). In addition to health and safety risks for mothers and newborns, hospital charges for a cesarean delivery are almost double those for a vaginal delivery, imposing significant costs (6).

    Products - Data Briefs - Number 35 - March 2010
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  10. #85
    Elite Member Dean James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Methtopia
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    When I lived in brooklyn it was nigh impossible to find an OB because it was so expensive for them to stay in business. There was a whole thing about these two OBs who swapped their practice for a Botox and fillers pumping station because malpractice insurance was too expensive.

    My hospital where I'm at now in OR refuses to do elective csections before 40 weeks. Too many people were waiting until 37 weeks and then getting the baby extracted, which as I just hit 35 weeks- sounds pretty fucking good right about now!!
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

  11. #86
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    LOL - yes those final weeks can make you view everything in a different light.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

  12. #87
    Elite Member DeChayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,502

    Default

    Holy cow, you're 35 weeks already, Deanie??!!

  13. #88
    Elite Member Dean James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Methtopia
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    yeppers!
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

  14. #89
    Elite Member Just Kill Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes
    Posts
    15,550

    Default

    Wow, this is the "fun" part.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

    Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

    Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

  15. #90
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,384

    Default

    You're almost there Dean!! My pregnancy was amazing until the last month. I wanted her out!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: June 5th, 2009, 03:28 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: July 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
  3. Toddler Dies From Pesticide in Home
    By celeb_2006 in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM
  4. Obese man dies in mobile home fire
    By DisruptiveHair in forum News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: October 19th, 2005, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •