Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 92

Thread: Caroline Lovell: Home birth advocate dies delivering own baby daughter at home

  1. #61
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,466

    Default

    I'm really surprised by those of you saying inductions aren't the norm where you are, because it's totally common among the people I know....and I live in earthy, crunchy Austin! I totally agree with Badger's point of view, because she's taking the reasonable middle ground.

    My doc claimed to be an "any way you want it" type of provider, but she started mentioning induction by my final month because if I went past due, "it would be hard to get a bed for Memorial Day weekend." Pretty sure that meant it was for her own scheduling convenience. At one of my appointments when I was just about 40 weeks, the nurse casually informed me they'd scheduled an induction for the next week. What.the.fuck. No, you don't do that without notice and consent, bitchez. And while I was an older mom, the pregnancy was fantastically complication-free. So I canceled that, but agreed to one the next week if I went further past due (would have been 9 days past due date, I think). That day, I freaked and canceled that one, with the doc agreeing to go to 2 wks past due if necessary.

    Inductions for no medical reason are crazy, and it's perfectly normal to go well past due, particularly with first babies. My doc even acknowledged inductions more often end up in c-sections. Every person I know who's had one ended up with a C. For whatever reasons, it was important to me to go into labor on my own, in my own space (and not have a c-section). Finally went into labor naturally and delivered 11 days past due, and was really glad I stood up for myself. I think home births for low-risk moms are fine so long as there are trained professionals there and you live reasonably near a facility if things go wrong-- but none of this unassisted/father-assisted horseshit.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

  2. #62
    Silver Member venue_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Both of my children were induced, and it scared the ever loving shit out of me and the baby (both times).
    My daughter was 7 days overdue, I went in for a check up, doc said she was getting too big and I had to get her out of there. I was instantly in shock....going from perfectly healthy check up to IVs and drugs in less than one hour...I was terrified that my baby was in danger! Pitocin pumped through me and forced me to go from not being the least bit dilated to ready to push in four hours. The contractions were so intense, and my poor daughter started freaking out. She wasn't ready! She was being forced out! I had to get episiotomy, and both forceps and a vacuum were used to pull her out. Because she was so scared, she shit all over the place en utero, meaning that I didn't get to hold her when she was born. The docs had to suction and clean out her mouth, nose, eyes and lungs. It was a horrific experience.
    They tried the same shit with my son. Perfectly normal pregnancy, me and baby felt great! I went in for a check up on my due date (fully expecting to go over again, I wasn't dilated or contracting at all). Doc says nope. Baby is too big, start mom on the drugs. I cried my eyeballs out. Repeat everything from birth 1, only start to finish took 2 hours this time.
    I have two perfectly healthy children....and given the choice to redo it, I don't think I would, given that the babies and myself came out of it ok......but it's not something I would want to do again. I would prefer my children decided when they were ready, not the doctor. I never experienced my water breaking on my own, never a natural contraction....I feel that even though I've had two children I missed out on some really great parts of pregnancy and birth :-(

  3. #63
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by venue_26 View Post
    Both of my children were induced, and it scared the ever loving shit out of me and the baby (both times).
    My daughter was 7 days overdue, I went in for a check up, doc said she was getting too big and I had to get her out of there. I was instantly in shock....going from perfectly healthy check up to IVs and drugs in less than one hour...I was terrified that my baby was in danger! Pitocin pumped through me and forced me to go from not being the least bit dilated to ready to push in four hours. The contractions were so intense, and my poor daughter started freaking out. She wasn't ready! She was being forced out! I had to get episiotomy, and both forceps and a vacuum were used to pull her out. Because she was so scared, she shit all over the place en utero, meaning that I didn't get to hold her when she was born. The docs had to suction and clean out her mouth, nose, eyes and lungs. It was a horrific experience.
    They tried the same shit with my son. Perfectly normal pregnancy, me and baby felt great! I went in for a check up on my due date (fully expecting to go over again, I wasn't dilated or contracting at all). Doc says nope. Baby is too big, start mom on the drugs. I cried my eyeballs out. Repeat everything from birth 1, only start to finish took 2 hours this time.
    I have two perfectly healthy children....and given the choice to redo it, I don't think I would, given that the babies and myself came out of it ok......but it's not something I would want to do again. I would prefer my children decided when they were ready, not the doctor. I never experienced my water breaking on my own, never a natural contraction....I feel that even though I've had two children I missed out on some really great parts of pregnancy and birth :-(
    My wife was induced for our second child, but not our first. If I remember correctly, after a certain period late in the pregnancy, the placenta breaks down and loses its ability to adequately nourish the baby. So, at some point, it apparently actually makes good medical sense to induce a birth.

    Both times, my wife was on pitocin, even when her water broke the first time. The level of dilation at that point still wasn't enough, so they used pitocin to help it along. Because she also had an epidural, she remembers no discomfort from either delivery. My son (the induced child) came out without any help from forceps or suction or anything else. Both kids were extremely healthy and had high apgar scores.

  4. #64
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,466

    Default

    The placenta does break down, but without an indication of any problems, it's usually safe to go up to a couple of weeks past due. A lot of this shit they do because they tell you the baby's getting too big, as Venue mentioned. They are nearly always off on their estimate, though. My ultrasound doc had baby measured at 8 lbs. 10 oz. He was smart enough to say he believed the baby was actually a pound less, and that was exactly right.

    Even though I went into labor on my own, they still gave me pitocin because I wasn't progressing fast enough for them. These docs really love them some pitocin!! And the contractions you have on it....hats off to anyone who can get through a pitocin labor without pain meds. I ultimately got an epidural, but it was kind of botched. Then had to push for 4 hours solid. I think I only managed to get through it without a C because I had hired a doula, which I would highly recommend for any birth setting.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

  5. #65
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    The placenta does break down, but without an indication of any problems, it's usually safe to go up to a couple of weeks past due. A lot of this shit they do because they tell you the baby's getting too big, as Venue mentioned. They are nearly always off on their estimate, though. My ultrasound doc had baby measured at 8 lbs. 10 oz. He was smart enough to say he believed the baby was actually a pound less, and that was exactly right.

    Even though I went into labor on my own, they still gave me pitocin because I wasn't progressing fast enough for them. These docs really love them some pitocin!! And the contractions you have on it....hats off to anyone who can get through a pitocin labor without pain meds. I ultimately got an epidural, but it was kind of botched. Then had to push for 4 hours solid. I think I only managed to get through it without a C because I had hired a doula, which I would highly recommend for any birth setting.
    With our daughter, my wife's water broke around 8 pm. She was at the hospital before 9. I remember them saying that she still hadn't dilated nearly enough (like 4 cm, I think). So, at first, they had us walk a little in the hallway. Then, they checked again. Still very little progress. Then, they gave her an epidural, and started administering pitocin after that. My wife went to sleep and slept soundly.

    By about 9 am, she had finally dilated enough to start pushing. We didn't have a doula, it was my MIL and me and the obstetrician. I think my wife pushed for about 30 minutes to an hour. Just when the obstetrician was about to give up and get a suction cup, our daughter popped out.

  6. #66
    Elite Member Laxmobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Down by da beach....boyeee
    Posts
    7,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I'm really surprised by those of you saying inductions aren't the norm where you are, because it's totally common among the people I know....and I live in earthy, crunchy Austin!
    I'm surprised too. In the last few years I actually only know of one person whose water broke naturally, every single other person was induced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

  7. #67
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,384

    Default

    I'm surprised at how many people only know people that have been induced (or c sectioned). I begged my doctor, to the point of tears, to induce me or give me a c-section. My final doctor appointment was 5 days before my due date (which fell on a Sunday at the end of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend). I was miserable. I was swollen, couldn't sleep, took 5 minutes to pee and my feet were killing me. But, no dice. She said that I wasn't ready and she would see me the next week. At that point, you're in weekly anyway, but I had to get fetal monitoring twice a week because I was AMA (I had just turned 41). I asked my doctor what would happen if I went past my due date and she said as long as I was healthy and the baby was healthy, then I would go two more weeks, then they would induce me. Still, no c-section. Even though, I ended up having a c, it wasn't until I was in actual labor and started having minor complications.

    I'm surprised that insurance companies aren't cracking down on c-sections. They are quite expensive in comparison.

  8. #68
    Elite Member Mel1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cuntopia
    Posts
    42,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I don't know of a single person who had an induced labor, except for 1 that was way past due.
    And I love in the United States.
    I know of very few people that were induced... I was induced because my son was due May 30 and so my doctor induced me on June 16... and I was glad because when he broke my water, meconium was in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i can honestly say that i have NO problem giving birth in a hospital with drugs and nurses and doctors taking care of me. i'm a big wuss where childbirth pain is concerned.
    Cosigning that shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My wife was induced for our second child, but not our first. If I remember correctly, after a certain period late in the pregnancy, the placenta breaks down and loses its ability to adequately nourish the baby. So, at some point, it apparently actually makes good medical sense to induce a birth.

    Both times, my wife was on pitocin, even when her water broke the first time. The level of dilation at that point still wasn't enough, so they used pitocin to help it along. Because she also had an epidural, she remembers no discomfort from either delivery. My son (the induced child) came out without any help from forceps or suction or anything else. Both kids were extremely healthy and had high apgar scores.
    When i was induced, they wound up not needing to suction or anything like that either. It did still take 12 hours but ... 10 hours in, I got the epidural and was happy as a lark.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    With our daughter, my wife's water broke around 8 pm. She was at the hospital before 9. I remember them saying that she still hadn't dilated nearly enough (like 4 cm, I think). So, at first, they had us walk a little in the hallway. Then, they checked again. Still very little progress. Then, they gave her an epidural, and started administering pitocin after that. My wife went to sleep and slept soundly.

    By about 9 am, she had finally dilated enough to start pushing. We didn't have a doula, it was my MIL and me and the obstetrician. I think my wife pushed for about 30 minutes to an hour. Just when the obstetrician was about to give up and get a suction cup, our daughter popped out.
    hmm an epidural and THEN the pitocin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    I'm surprised too. In the last few years I actually only know of one person whose water broke naturally, every single other person was induced.
    The only other person I can think of who WAS induced was a coworkers wife recently and she was overdue. not by alot though.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

  9. #69
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,300

    Default

    My first labour started naturally when she was 3 days overdue. Nobody was panicking because due dates are very imprecise anyway.

    I don't know if the guidelines have changed but up to 14 days overdue is within the 'normal' range and they won't induce unless there's a problem. My second labour was induced (a) because I had pre-eclampsia and was in hospital anyway, (b) he was 4 days overdue and (c) I wanted to be home for Christmas. I had a prostaglandin (sp?) suppository and labour started a couple of hours later. It was hard and fast - 45mins from the first contraction to last push so there wasn't any time for any meaningful pain relief so I had to do it commando. Go me.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  10. #70
    Elite Member FashionVictim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,093

    Default

    My ex co worker planned out a natural birth, seeing the midwife instead of an obgyn, and chose a natural birthing center inside of a hospital. She was 7 days late and induced. The cord was wrapped aroun the baby's neck 7 times and had emergency c section where she bled. If she wasn't in the hospital they both would be dead.

    I think that kind of facility is smart. You have the atmosphere of a home birth and the safety of a hospital if you need it.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

  11. #71
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,859

    Default

    I just saw this story today, and it reminded me of the issue discussed here regarding induced labor. Of course, this was a very rare reason for doing it There is a pretty emotional video to go with it at the link:

    Your Morning Cry: Woman Induces Labor So Her Dying Husband Can Meet His Baby

    Last month, 52-year-old Mark Aulger was very sick with complications from his treatment for colon cancer. His wife Diane was pregnant and was just two weeks from her due date when the doctor informed them that Mark's condition was fatal. When he was told he only had five or six days to live, Mark said "I'd like to see the baby." Diane, 31, and her doctor decided to induce labor, and she gave birth to the daughter Savannah on January 18th, with Mark's hospital bed right next to hers.
    When they put baby Savannah in Mark's arms, Diane says he "cried, and he just looked very sad." He held her for about 45 minutes, but after that he was so fatigued that he could only hold her a few more times. He fell into a coma on January 21st, and Diane says, "I put her on him when he was in the coma a few times and his hand would move toward her." Oh my God. Time to grab another tissue. Mark died two days after falling into the coma, and Diane says, "It was just me and Savannah when he passed away."
    In case that hasn't gotten you sufficiently teary already, as of this Christmas, Mark thought he'd beaten the cancer. It was a freak complication with his lungs that arose suddenly and ended up taking his life. Just weeks before his death, the family, who lives in Texas, had been busy planning their future, and now Diane is left to raise the baby and their four other children. Though she's not entirely alone. Since their story hit the news, she's been getting lots of love from people all over the place—and she plans to keep Mark as a constant presence in their lives: "The kids still go on as if dad is really still here. Mark was a very funny guy. My kids still tell jokes how they would when he was around. He would have been a wonderful daddy to Savannah."

  12. #72
    Elite Member Dean James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Methtopia
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FashionVictim View Post
    My ex co worker planned out a natural birth, seeing the midwife instead of an obgyn, and chose a natural birthing center inside of a hospital. She was 7 days late and induced. The cord was wrapped aroun the baby's neck 7 times and had emergency c section where she bled. If she wasn't in the hospital they both would be dead.

    I think that kind of facility is smart. You have the atmosphere of a home birth and the safety of a hospital if you need it.
    We have friends who recently delivered and it was almost the exact same scenario minus the birthing center, cord wrapped around the baby's neck during a home birth. Race to the hospital for an emergency c-section, baby was severely cut off from oxygen for a long time and spent over a week in the NICU. Jury's still out whether or not the poor baby has brain damage, they'll know later as he gets older. Just an awful situation.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

  13. #73
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,144

    Default

    ^^
    seriously, why would you even risk it?
    and even if they're your friends, how do you stop yourself from saying to them that they're idiots and could have avoided all that drama if they'd just gone to the hospital in the first place?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  14. #74
    Elite Member Dean James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Methtopia
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    It just makes me angry. Especially when we heard she labored for three hours in an inflatable tub AFTER knowing the cord was around the baby's neck. The midwives were trying to work through it before 'giving up' and going to the hospital. Makes me ill, that poor baby.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

  15. #75
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    24,164

    Default

    Holy fuck, that's just irresponsible right there. Talking about the midwives.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: June 5th, 2009, 03:28 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: July 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM
  3. Toddler Dies From Pesticide in Home
    By celeb_2006 in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM
  4. Obese man dies in mobile home fire
    By DisruptiveHair in forum News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: October 19th, 2005, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •