Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Caroline Lovell: Home birth advocate dies delivering own baby daughter at home

I'm pro-hospital birth for this very reason, you never know what could happen. And since I live in a very crunchy part of the country, the hospital we're going to is more than accommodating towards a holistic and natural approach so if I want to bay at the moon and chew leather straps, I'm good to go.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

You just never can guess ahead of time. Even if it not your first baby.
    I may be too security minded, but a home birth was out of the question. I wanted the best medical care possible and on call at all times.
    I know a lady who just delivered her 3rd baby at home and it went well. It could just as easily not gone well. Seems to me you should give your baby every chance to survive. Not to mention yourself.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

As usual, there is a middle ground these days. You don't have to be subjected to a highly 'medicalised' birth in a hospital where they usually try to make the process as natural as possible with as little medical intervention as possible. But it IS available if necessary which sounds like an excellent compromise. Some women want an epidural as soon as they get the first twinge of labour and lots of doctors hovering around, while other women basically want some reassurance that everything is going OK and then to be left alone to get on with it.

Home birth advocates tend to be the smug 'no pain relief in childbirth, it means you are a better mother' brigade and breastfeed until Tarqin/Jocasta start high school.

My sister was born at home (11lbs, ouch!) because it was quite common in the early 60s. Our GP was present along with the local midwife.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Home birth advocates tend to be the smug 'no pain relief in childbirth, it means you are a better mother' brigade
    Yeah, I've picked up on that and I don't get it. It's not like anyone gets a medal for going without pain meds during child birth. Most of the poor women I know who did it, it was because they were too far along in labor to have it or the baby came so fast that there wasn't time - in other words, unintentional. Juicing yourself up with pain meds doesn't mean you're a bad mother, it means you have a lower pain threshold.

I ended up having an emergency c-section, trust me I was happy that I chose to have my baby in a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Yeah, I've picked up on that and I don't get it. It's not like anyone gets a medal for going without pain meds during child birth. Most of the poor women I know who did it, it was because they were too far along in labor to have it or the baby came so fast that there wasn't time - in other words, unintentional. Juicing yourself up with pain meds doesn't mean you're a bad mother, it means you have a lower pain threshold.
    A co-worker of mine said that you don't get a medal for the most pain you go through. Epidurals are awesome.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

So she had a heart attack during labor? Is this similar to kids in middle and high school dropping dead during basketball practice? Perhaps midwives should invest in defibrillators? Costco - Philips HeartStart Home Defibrillator
    Posted from my iPhone Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Juicing yourself up with pain meds doesn't mean you're a bad mother, it means you have a lower pain threshold.
    If the pain meds are available then take them! It still amazes me that here in the 21st century there are so few pain relief options available. I suspect things would be different if it was the men who gave birth! I had a meds-free second childbirth but that was only because (a) the anaesthetist was busy elsewhere and (b) the labour was so quick there wouldn't have been time to set up an epidural anyway and the gas/air didn't work. And the baby had the cord around his neck so thank God I was in hospital as there were a few anxious, silent moments after he was born when I could tell they had to work on him for a couple of minutes. If that had happened at home I probably would have lost him and/or he'd be brain damaged. Shudder.

Hospitals are there - use them.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have a friend who would hate me for saying this, but I agree with what most of you have posted. There are so many things that can go wrong during this process; it is safer for you and baby to birth in hospital. It just is. There are too many things that can go wrong during this difficult process and now so many advances that help to save mother and child.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Also, they give you this great discount/coupon for a really cheap all-you-can-eat breakfast in the cafeteria. I ate like a king.
    After a friend had her baby at a local hospital, she and her husband were served a 4 course gourmet meal complete with filet mignon. I never knew hospital food to be that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Could it have been undiagnosed preclampsia? (Probably not, if she was having regular prenatal appointments.)

I also wanted to ask about another scenario - my SIL was going to give birth naturally until they determined during (or right before) delivery that the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck. So, they did an emergency C section. Could this scenario be safely addressed at home, with only a midwife present?
    I gave birth at a Birthing Center across the street from the hospital. The cord was wrapped around my daughter's neck and spiraled her body. The midwife knew exactly what she was doing and was able to slip it off her neck as she crowned. There was no need for a c-section in our case.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

[
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I gave birth at a Birthing Center across the street from the hospital. The cord was wrapped around my daughter's neck and spiraled her body. The midwife knew exactly what she was doing and was able to slip it off her neck as she crowned. There was no need for a c-section in our case.
    In my SIL's case, I believe the baby's pulse rate was going up prior to pushing (indicating distress, I think). I think that's when they discovered the cord was wrapped around the neck. Not sure if a vaginal delivery would still be an option when the pulse spikes.

That is how they knew in my case too. The dopler showed her heart was rising when I pushed. The midwife stayed completely calm and told me to push her out on the next contraction and at that point she had already slipped her finger to where it was between the cord and her neck.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

That is how they knew in my case too. The dopler showed her heart was rising when I pushed. The midwife stayed completely calm and told me to push her out on the next contraction and at that point she had already slipped her finger to where it was between the cord and her neck.
    I wonder what kind of monitoring equipment the people who deliver at home use? Like something that would let them monitor fetal heartbeat, the mom's heartbeat and blood pressure, etc.?

I have one friend that had a water birth at some midwife clinic and another that had her baby at home with a midwife. All went ok for them, but my husband and I wanted our babies to be born at the hospital to be safe. If something went horribly wrong with a home birth, I know we would never forgive ourselves. It's not worth the risk to me.

I experienced the same thing with my second. It was a doctor in my case, but yeah, she just wriggled her finger in there a bit as I pushed his head out.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information