Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: Carnival cruise ship passengers face "horrific" conditions after engine fire

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I would have rented the first decent hotel in sight and taken a nice hot shower, sent my clothes to be washed and ordered a hot meal.
    The first Hotel they would have seen is the Riverview Plaza. A tired cruise ship passenger smelling of shit could do a helluva lot worse than the Riverview. Like, ride a fucking bus that breaks down on the side of the highway...
    McJag, KrisNine and nancydrew like this.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

I do feel bad for these people because that situation definitely would suck. And those conditions were awful for the few days they had to endure it. I'm sure they'll get money back and someone will sue. Then today I read where someone got picked up by a friends private plane and then suddenly I didn't feel AS BAD. Eh.. first world problems.

Oh hell I would have lost my goddamned mind if the bus broke down after all that. Someone would have gotten hurt.
    SHELLEE and Seapharris7 like this.

A*O

Not everything bad that happens can be fixed with a lawsuit America, although I'm sure plenty of extremely pissed off people will try. Carnival has already offered a full refund, a free future cruise, free accommodation and transportation home and $500 cash. What more can they do? If people want to "punish" Carnival it's already happening with the bad publicity, cancelled cruises on other ships, hysteria about their "dangerous ships", etc. The cruising forums are infested with lynch mobs absolutely basking in the drama. They haven't had this much fun since the Concordia sank.

This whole incident is a useful reminder that a ship, even a modern floating palace mega ship, isn't a beachside resort on dry land and when engines break down, or there's a fire (the very worst thing that can happen at sea apart from sinking), or the power goes out then its not always easy to fix.
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Not everything bad that happens can be fixed with a lawsuit America, although I'm sure plenty of extremely pissed off people will try. Carnival has already offered a full refund, a free future cruise, free accommodation and transportation home and $500 cash. What more can they do?
    You have to remember, though, that this is a country where, this week, a graduate student launched a $1.3 Million lawsuit against her school for giving her a "C+" grade for a class. By comparison, a lawsuit against Carnival looks like a slam dunk by LeBron James on a toddler-size basketball set.
    BITTER and Seapharris7 like this.

But the cruise industry is pretty much-self governed; they only answer to themselves.
    Waterslide and Beeyotch like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Hit By Ban Bus!

Not everything bad that happens can be fixed with a lawsuit America, although I'm sure plenty of extremely pissed off people will try. Carnival has already offered a full refund, a free future cruise, free accommodation and transportation home and $500 cash. What more can they do? If people want to "punish" Carnival it's already happening with the bad publicity, cancelled cruises on other ships, hysteria about their "dangerous ships", etc. The cruising forums are infested with lynch mobs absolutely basking in the drama. They haven't had this much fun since the Concordia sank.

This whole incident is a useful reminder that a ship, even a modern floating palace mega ship, isn't a beachside resort on dry land and when engines break down, or there's a fire (the very worst thing that can happen at sea apart from sinking), or the power goes out then its not always easy to fix.
    In theory, a lawsuit would stop Carnival and other Cruise lines from setting sail on a ship that they knew had major mechanical problems just prior.

It may also have the effect of putting stricter regulations in place about what a line should do during a mechanical failure. The response was so slapdash, and just plain fucking dangerous to the health of the passengers that alone is worthy of a lawsuit. I mean really, what was stopping Carnival from sending an empty ship to evacuate the passengers? Money, plain and simple.
    Waterslide likes this.

I would say the lawsuits are bullshit, BUT they knew there was an issue before hand and still went ahead with it. So I say fuck it, sue em. They knowingly endangered the passengers and the crew.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Oh hell I would have lost my goddamned mind if the bus broke down after all that. Someone would have gotten hurt.
    This a thousand times.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

A*O

And where, pray, would Carnival find this magical empty ship? Certainly not from their own fleet which are all full of passengers on other cruises. Ditto other cruise lines. And even if they did find another ship it wouldn't be a passenger vessel with facilities for 4,000+ people so they'd be no better off. This whole debacle might make cruise lines look more closely at their maintenance schedules which they DO pare right back to the bare minimum but that's because their customers demand a weeks cruise for less than $500.
    laynes likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    I do feel bad for these people because that situation definitely would suck. And those conditions were awful for the few days they had to endure it. I'm sure they'll get money back and someone will sue. Then today I read where someone got picked up by a friends private plane and then suddenly I didn't feel AS BAD. Eh.. first world problems.
    Maybe it was a single engine plane? Either way, I wish they all could have had the chance to get home on a private plane after that. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Yeah, same here.

Lord knows Americans are sue-happy, but on this occasion I think they should sue away. I do agree that people shouldn't take it for granted that they are on a boat, nor that mishaps and disasters can happen at any time. There was one lady interviewed on CNN who said, "We were literally floating around on the sea!" Um, yeah? You don't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    In theory, a lawsuit would stop Carnival and other Cruise lines from setting sail on a ship that they knew had major mechanical problems just prior.

It may also have the effect of putting stricter regulations in place about what a line should do during a mechanical failure. The response was so slapdash, and just plain fucking dangerous to the health of the passengers that alone is worthy of a lawsuit. I mean really, what was stopping Carnival from sending an empty ship to evacuate the passengers? Money, plain and simple.
    I agree. Like Bitter said, these cruise ship companies answer only to themselves, and I think there should be better safety measures in place, if nothing else.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I agree. Like Bitter said, these cruise ship companies answer only to themselves, and I think there should be better safety measures in place, if nothing else.
    These ships are registered in foreign countries with lax maritime laws. There is the International Maritime Organization, responsible for SOLAS, but their regs are more all encompassing and there isn't really anything specifically geared toward cruise ships. But cruise ships generally aren't really held liable for mishaps. Cruise ships are becoming larger and larger with more amenities. More than a few of them are too large to pull into some ports - like those massive Royal Caribbean ships.
    Seapharris7 likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

These things are just a disaster waiting to happen. Too big, too cheaply made, just sitting ducks for some terrorist nutcase who could ram one with a boatful of explosives that would probably blow it apart before it even had time to sink. After 911 I seriously thought the next big target might be a cruise ship.

Thank God my parents have stopped taking cruises.

*not to mention the norovirus shit that routinely runs through cruise ships. yuck!
    BITTER likes this.

Yeah, I can authentically say that I have no desire to go on a cruise. I know people who have had successful, wonderful experiences. I've not been on one and I don't actually think I'm I'm missing anything.
    Sasha, Beeyotch and rollo like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I've read the whole thread. Lol'd a lot.
    What I don't understand, and must have missed is, how did they run out of food? I would think a huge shipped would have a packed pantry full of non perishables.
    MsChiff likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information