Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: Carnival cruise ship passengers face "horrific" conditions after engine fire

It's like a nightmare that never ends.....

Coast Guard: Cruise ship stopped; towline broken

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — The long, slow journey back to port for a crippled Carnival cruise ship and its miserable passengers suffered another setback Thursday when a tow line snapped, setting the vessel adrift once again.

A clearer picture of the scene aboard the ship began to emerge as passengers who have been mostly out cellphone reach described overflowing toilets, sewage backed up in showers, scarce food and people getting sick. What began as a four-day voyage in the Gulf of Mexico has turned into a vacation nightmare, not at all the luxury cruise touted in brochures.

Passengers were expected to make it to shore Thursday night at the earliest — only to then face an hours-long bus ride or other travel hassles to finally get back home. Frustrations with the cruise line were simmering on and off the ship, as passengers and their relatives questioned why it has taken so long to get back to dry land after an engine-room fire disabled the ship Sunday.

"There's poop and urine all along the floor," Renee Shanar, of Houston, said from her cellphone aboard the ship. "The floor is flooded with sewer water ... and we had to poop in bags."

The ship was in sight of the Alabama shore Thursday afternoon when the tow line broke. Until it can be repaired, the ship is "dead in the water and when they reconnect safely, they then proceed on their way," Coast Guard Petty Officer William Colclough said.

The 14-story ship still has to negotiate a tricky shipping channel before it could dock. Before the line broke, the ship was traveling about 5 mph.

Television images from CNN showed passengers with signs of "Help" and "I love you" hanging from their cabin rooms. Others walked around the deck, some waving to the helicopters flying above. People in boats, presumably officials from Carnival, the Coast Guard and Customs, have boarded the ship.

Shanar, who is on the ship with her husband, said the couple had a cabin with no windows, so they have been sleeping outside for days. She said the food has been distributed on the 9th floor, and some of the elderly have needed younger people to bring it to them. They were initially only given cold cuts, like turkey and vegetable sandwiches. Then another cruise line dropped off hamburgers and chicken sandwiches, but the line for that fare was nearly four hours long.

"And then people started getting sick from the food," she said.

The company has disputed the accounts of passengers who describe the ship as filthy, saying employees are doing everything to ensure people are comfortable.

Terry Thornton, senior vice president for Carnival Cruiselines, said they received an extra generator that allowed them to serve hot food on the ship Wednesday night, and that the food services will be fully operational when they are docked.

That isn't expected until at least 8 p.m., perhaps later. The massive ship still needs to make turns and navigate cross currents on its way to the port — all without the help of its engines.

"This is going to be a long day," Thornton said. "There is no way we can speed up the process."

When passengers arrive in Alabama, their stay will be short. Carnival said in a statement late Wednesday that passengers were being given the option of boarding buses directly to Galveston, Texas, or Houston — a roughly seven-hour drive — or taking a two-hour bus ride to New Orleans, where the company said it booked 1,500 hotel rooms. Those staying in New Orleans will be flown Friday to Houston. Carnival said it will cover all the transportation costs.

"I can't imagine being on that ship this morning and then getting on a bus," said Kirk Hill, whose 30-year-old daughter, Kalin Christine Hill, is on the cruise. "If I hit land in Mobile, you'd have a hard time getting me on a bus."

Hill is booking a flight from Amarillo, Texas, to New Orleans to meet his daughter when she gets there.

Vance Gulliksen, a Carnival spokesman also said the company chose to bus people to New Orleans because it "offered additional capacity and flexibility which was important to us."

Thelbert Lanier was waiting at the Mobile port for his wife, who texted him early Thursday.

"Room smells like an outhouse. Cold water only, toilets haven't work in 3 1/2 days. Happy Valentines Day!!! I love u & wish I was there," she said in the text message, which was viewed by The Associated Press. "It's 4:00 am. Can't sleep...it's cold & I'm starting to get sick."

Robert Giordano, whose 33-year-old wife Shannon is aboard the cruise liner with a group of friends of hers from Edmond, Okla., said he has yet to speak to someone at Carnival. All his information has come through pre-recorded phone calls, the most recent one Wednesday afternoon when he was told the ship would "probably" arrive in Mobile late Thursday or early Friday. He got better information, he said, when the "Today" show called him.

"A complete utter surprise to me. I'm excited but I didn't know about that," Giordano said. "That's the biggest frustration for me now is that the media knows more than the family members do and certainly more than the passengers do on the ship."

Gulliksen said the Triumph is now expected arrive in Mobile between 8 and 11 p.m. Thursday. He said the company has tried to keep families updated and established a toll-free number for friends and relatives. Gulliksen said about 200 Carnival employees are in Mobile waiting to assist passengers upon their arrival, and some will go on board to assist when the ship sails in.

The ship left Galveston for a four-day cruise last Thursday with 3,143 passengers and 1,086 crew members. It was about 150 miles off Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula when an engine room fire knocked out its primary power source, crippling its water and plumbing systems and leaving it adrift on only backup power.

No one was injured in the fire, but a passenger with a pre-existing medical condition was taken off the ship as a precaution.

In Mobile, officials were preparing a cruise terminal that has not been used for a year to help passengers go through customs after their ordeal.

Mobile Mayor Sam Jones questioned the plan to bus passengers to other cities, saying the city has more than enough hotel rooms and its two airports are near the cruise terminal.

"We raised the issue that it would be a lot easier to take a five-minute bus ride than a two-hour bus ride" to New Orleans, Jones said. Jones said Carnival employees will be staying in Mobile.

Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled more than dozen more planned voyages aboard the Triumph and acknowledged that the crippled ship had been plagued by other mechanical problems in the weeks before the engine-room blaze. The National Transportation Safety Board has opened an investigation.

Gulliksen said the Triumph's recent mechanical woes involved an electrical problem with the ship's alternator on the previous voyage. Repairs were completed Feb. 2, and the problem was not related to the fire, he said.

Passengers were supposed to get a full refund and discounts on future cruises, and Carnival announced Wednesday they would each get an additional $500 in compensation.

Once docked, the ship will be idle through April.

___

Plushnick-Masti reported from Houston. Associated Press writers Bob Johnson in Montgomery, Ala., and Melissa Nelson-Gabriel in Mobile contributed to this report.

Coast Guard: Cruise ship stopped; towline broken - Yahoo! News
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

THROUGH APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burn that big pile of shit!
    ikmccall, Beeyotch and nancydrew like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    They said we can't accommodate.
    My ass! That's a blatant lie and I would tell them that to their face before I let them put my ass on I-10 in a shuttle bus.
    BITTER and nancydrew like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    MOBILE, Ala., Feb 12 (Reuters) - The cruise ship Carnival Triumph...
    For me to poop on!
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Passengers were supposed to get a full refund and discounts on future cruises, and Carnival announced Wednesday they would each get an additional $500 in compensation.

Do passengers have to sign some limit of liability waiver before getting on the ship? Because getting my money back and $500 for 5 extra days stranded on that toxic floating turd might not be quite enough for me. And I'm sure I'd be passing on their kind offer to discount another cruise...
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

They're going to have a bonafide e. coli breakout, if they haven't already. Such a public health hazard.

Seriously. How could they ever decontaminate that ship enough to use it again?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I'm curious to know how Carnival plans to handle it when they get to Mobile and some of these people don't agree to board a bus and ride 2.5 hours to New Orleans. I imagine most of them will want to get a shower, something to eat, and sleep . . . and not climb on a Trailways. Especially the people whose families have driven all the way to Mobile to meet them at the docks - and there's a lot of them. It'll be interesting to see if Carnival will agree to pay for their hotel rooms in Mobile. That'll be where the rubber meets the road, because I think Carnival will balk and say we'll only pay for a room in New Orleans, not Mobile. I think there's too much bad feeling after Carnival pulled out of Port of Mobile in 2011 and that's when people will really come unglued.
    nancydrew, Sasha and darksithbunny like this.

That lucky passenger who got off! 4500 is not a dent in what these people have endured. Think again. Most of the people at the wharf will be lawyers.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Carnival has been cutting costs and corners for years. How else can they afford to charge $45 per person per day including food? This ship has been having "technical problems" for a long time but fixing them would mean taking it out of service for longer than Carnival is willing to do without the revenue so they crossed their fingers and hoped for the best.

I'm not normally the one to be suing everyone if I have a disappointing holiday (eg, "the sea was too wet, the wind was too blowy, the sun was too bright") but on this occasion Carnival has to pay the consequences of its greed and irresponsibility in allowing this ship to continue cruising when they knew it shouldn't be.

The ship could have been towed to Mexico by now but there would have been a lot of passengers without passports - US citizens can travel without one if the cruise starts/ends in the same US port - so getting them home would have been even more of a logistical nightmare.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

They would NEVER get me on a bus after that ordeal. Fuck you would be my response.
    Laurent, Sasha, rollo and 1 others like this.

And they wring the money out of these ships, sometimes neglecting even normal upkeep.
    Back in the day when passenger ships were the main way to travel, ships were built to last 30-40 years. Thick hulls, high-quality materials and strong, reliable engines were the norm. Now that they are used primarily for leisure, all of that has gone to the wayside. The hulls are thin, shoddy materials are used to build them and they seem to have more mechanical issues. Not to mention hiring people from poor countries with little or no marine safety training and where they don't always have good command of the English language. I personally don't believe that these ships are nearly as seaworthy as ships like the Queen Mary or United States were.
    Waterslide and Karistiona like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^ True fucking fact. Hell, even stuff built back in the 1980s was built better and stronger than anything today. And I'm talking stuff from clothes irons and microwaves all the way up to vehicles and houses.

And hell would freeze over, under, and sideways before Carnival would get my riotous ass on a bus after that purulent cruise. I would show my whole asshole and fight like a hellcat before they'd transport me anywhere ever again.

^^I know, right? These people have spent almost a week together in intolerable conditions and I don't think they can survive a bus ride together...
    And don't get me started on houses...the new ones are put together with tissue and spit. Same with the cruise ships. Sometimes you can see dents in the hulls from tugboats or bumping into the piers...the Azipods systems have proved troublesome as well.
    Waterslide and Laurent like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I was on that ship 6 weeks ago
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information