Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Canberra Skywhale For Sale - Quick!

Elite Member

I would like to put in a $5 bid for this lovely piece of artwork, it will perfectly piss off my neighbors once mounted in the front lawn.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Imagine seeing that floating past your house. It's frightening and fascinating.

I'd attach it to the top of my garage.
    CornFlakegrl likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I love whales, but that thing needs to be harpooned.
    My dear Constance, your wish was granted..

Skywhale Harpooned by Captain Ahab | SBS Comedy

6 Mar 2015 - 2:52pm
    Skywhale Harpooned by Captain Ahab

By The Backburner

6 Mar 2015 - 2:33 PM UPDATED 6 Mar 2015 - 2:52 PM

Residents of Canberra are experiencing a mixture of celebration and mourning today amidst news that the Skywhale balloon sculpture has been harpooned and irreparably damaged by a man identified by authorities as Yass resident Captain Dave Ahab.

The Skywhale, usually deflated and stowed away between major events, had been inflated the previous evening for routine inspection and was unattended when Ahab struck.
    Eyewitnesses report that at around midday a van marked 'Pequod Electrical' arrived underneath where the Skywhale was tethered. Capt. Ahab was then allegedly seen exiting the van with what appeared to be a broom handle with a kitchen knife affixed to the end.

Local resident Michelle Bedford says what she saw can only be described as 'incredibly unlikely' and 'bizarrely beautiful'.
    "The guy got on the roof of his van with a crazy look in his eyes I've never seen before, as if in his universe there was only him and the Skywhale. He hurled the broomhandle like a harpoon, got it right through the eye.

“We all clapped and cheered, not like we hate the Skywhale or anything but it was just unbelievably cool.”
    It then took several hours for security staff and onlookers to disentangle Ahab from the corpse of the Skywhale which had slowly but majestically fallen directly on top of him, like a heavenly blanket with massive breasts.

The sculpture, a hot air balloon depicting a whale as it may have evolved if it lived in the air rather than the sea, has had a mixed reception since it was first launched in 2013. Critics of the Skywhale cited its outlandish appearance, large breast-like appendages and 'dumb, smug whale face'.

The harpooning could not come at a worse time for ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr, who this morning announced that the Skywhale was being decommissioned, issued a retraction stating that “[the Skywhale] hasn’t flown her last flight” and then was forced to retract his retraction on receiving news that the iconic artwork had been skewered by a determined tradesman.

Artist Patricia Piccinini, who designed the sculpture, has asked that charges not be pressed against Mr Ahab, claiming that she was “invigorated” to see the public engaging with the artwork on such a meaningful level and that she couldn’t ask for a “more fitting way for a big balloon that looks like a whale to complete its lifecycle in the public eye.”

When asked if the ‘killing’ of the Skywhale had any allegorical significance or if the quest to find and destroy it was in some way symbolic of a larger tale Mr Ahab told reports “Nah mate, just f-ing hate that bloody whale.”

Edited to Add: Oh man.. i fell for this article, hook, line and sinker.. hahaha.. it's from a the SBS Comedy site.

**The SkyWhale is Alive and Well.. i repeat the SkyWhale is Alive and Well**.
    Last edited by *Wookie-Chick*; April 5th, 2015 at 04:09 AM. Reason: i'm a silly, gullible sod.. haha ;)

Elite Member

Hey A*O, we'll trade you one frightening Lucille Ball/el chupacabra statue for your lovely Canberra Skywhale...
    sputnik, A*O and sprynkles like this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Elite Member

Just found a video showing Ms SkyWhale in action... Her tail is so cute.

My sincere apologies about the article i posted.. i have got to put my bloody glasses on and switch my brain on!

Elite Member

Here is another lovely video of her.. i think she is fascinating.

Okay i shall leave her and you girls and guys alone now
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Omfg!!! Dave Ahab???

Call me Ishmael, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I want to sell you.....
    qwerty, faithanne and Kittylady like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Omfg!!! Dave Ahab???

Call me Ishmael, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I want to sell you.....
    .. Oh WCG.. i know, i know .. My goodness.. if you look up Gullible Drongo in the dictionary there will be a picture of me .

So can i book a time to have a look at this Brooklyn Bridge you are interested in selling? .

Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    Yeeeessss, Thank you MsDeb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information