Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Brain-Dead Woman Forced to Stay on Life Support Because She’s Pregnant

In Texas you have a better chance of being bitten by a lion than getting an abortion. No,they would not have aborted. It would have been the same battle.

Her husband is a basket case. He reported he could not even hold her hand because it was stiff and her bones would crack if they moved her arm. She was already dead. He is a paramedic and knew full well. Such total grief dragged out two months when there was no hope. He was trying so hard not to cry,but failed just a bit.
    HWBL and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

This story has just left me heartbroken and fearful of these lunatics who play God with the law on their side. Common sense seems to be a thing of the past, along with human rights.
    HWBL likes this.

I think of this poor man and the memories that he's going to have of his wife. In addition to him saying that her bones were so brittle, he also said that her own smell had been replaced by the smell of death. How lovely. I hope he's able to find some peace.

I do fault the hospital but at the beginning I felt they were simply following the stupid law. Now I read their statements that they acted to protect the life of the fetus and they chose to fight this family for 2 months. This is a public hospital, not a religious one. Heads need to roll.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I do fault the hospital but at the beginning I felt they were simply following the stupid law. Now I read their statements that they acted to protect the life of the fetus and they chose to fight this family for 2 months. This is a public hospital, not a religious one. Heads need to roll.
    Oh....I hadn't read that. I take back any sympathy or support I felt for them.

I had some post-surgical hemorrhaging one time and had to go to the nearest hospital which happened to be a Catholic one. After two days and three blood transfusions, my doctor was at the end of his rope and was trying everything to make it stop. He prescribed me a heavy dosage birth control pill just in case any of the bleeding was hormonally related. The hospital would not give me the medicine due to their religious beliefs. Perfectly within their rights (I guess), but while bleeding out and getting multiple transfusions did the hospital really think for one moment I was interested in preventing conception? Asinine.
    sluce and sparkles like this.

You should have sued the hospital because you were being prescribed hormone treatment - not contraception.
    Kittylady likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I'm starting to agree with the statement the family made about this being some sort of sick science experiment for the hospital. As of yesterday they were still considering an appeal even though both sides conceded that the baby has massive issues and was probably not viable. What was their motivation in all this? That poor, poor family.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    But what about the baybeeez? That's all these people care about. They don't care about his wife, they don't care about her family or him or their older child or what this is doing to them all, no, all they care about is that a malformed fetus with very little chance of survival to or past birth or experiencing anything approaching an acceptable quality of life is kept alive inside a dead woman and to hell with reason, decency and dignity.
    fuck the baybeez! fuck all these anti-abortion/anti-choice women-hating moronic assholes!
    Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Those people always see women as brain-dead incubators. This is just an extreme case.
    bingo. oh, how far we've come as a nation! bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I think of this poor man and the memories that he's going to have of his wife. In addition to him saying that her bones were so brittle, he also said that her own smell had been replaced by the smell of death. How lovely. I hope he's able to find some peace.
    This whole thing has had horror movie/nightmare tendencies from the git-go. You don't think shit like this can happen but it can, it did, it does and it will continue. And, CLEARLY, there is nothing that people (and women too) can do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    The more heads, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by badgers! View Post
    I'm starting to agree with the statement the family made about this being some sort of sick science experiment for the hospital. As of yesterday they were still considering an appeal even though both sides conceded that the baby has massive issues and was probably not viable. What was their motivation in all this? That poor, poor family.

THAT is the issue... welcome to Texas.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Errrr sometimes I really miss Austin and imagine moving back there but goddamn I don't believe I can tolerate the religious right / Gogol ol' boys again. At least in ny asshole ratbastards normally look, smell, talk, and move like asshole ratbastards, the mafia are the mafia, and at most there is a layer of slick and harsh on top, not the sugar of God. Not only has religion in the south become, more than ever, a wad of intolerance and hate, but it renders people phenomenally fucking stupid.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Just a follow up I read today.
    (NEWSER) – Before a Texas hospital took his pregnant wife off life support Sunday, Erick Munoz asked doctors to do one last sonogram. "They think it was a female," Munoz tells the
    AP
    of the 23-week-old fetus, his second child with Marlise Munoz. He named the fetus Nicole, Marlise's middle name. Munoz, who sued
    to have his brain-dead wife removed from life support
    , had earlier said his training as a paramedic convinced him the fetus would not have had a good quality of life had it been born, having gone without oxygen for hours after Marlise's collapse in November.
    Though he's heard negative comments about his decision to remove his wife from life support—the fetus was not delivered first—Munoz tells
    WFAA-TV
    , "I'm just glad they are not in my shoes. I hope every day that no one ever has to go through what I went through." Marlise will be cremated, and Munoz says he hopes to someday make her biggest dream come true—she wanted to ride in an F-16 fighter jet. For now, he's trying to forget the way he last saw his wife; he visited her every day for 62 days while she was in the hospital. "I have to fight those images. The way I fight them is I go to the videos and I go to the pictures," he says. "I go to the memories."

Poor,poor man. He had to suffer every minute she was kept alive.
    MmeVertigina, Flygirl and badgers! like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Another story like the one above. This has gotten almost no media attention over here.

A heart-wrenching story of death and birth is playing out at Victoria General Hospital, as 32-year-old Dylan Benson makes daily visits to his pregnant wife Robyn, also 32, who has been brain dead since Dec. 29, the day after she suffered a cerebral hemorrhage at home.
    Robyn Benson is a patient at the VGH’s intensive care unit, confirmed Dan MacLennan of Island Health. Further details are not available through Island Health due to privacy laws.
    Now, an online fund-raising drive called the “Baby Iver Fund” is growing exponentially, swelling from $5,000 Saturday evening to about $14,000 at 2 p.m. Sunday.
    The fundraising goal is $36,000.
    All Liquor Plus outlets on Vancouver Island are posting details of the Benson’s story in the stores and staff are asking customers if they wish to contribute to the fund.
    Dylan has organized the fund to benefit his unborn son Iver: “He has already lost his mother, but I want to provide the best life I possibly can for him,” said Dylan in his online plea for help.
    Robyn Benson was 22 weeks pregnant when she suffered the hemmorhage, he said. Doctors hope to keep her body alive under she reaches her 34th week of pregnancy, when they plan to perform a caesarian section.
    “The doctors have said that he now has higher than an 80 per cent [chance] of survival and that increases with every day that passes,” wrote Dylan.
    “For the last five weeks, Robyn’s body has still been doing most of the work. Her heart rate and blood pressure are for the most part working unassisted. It is essentially only her brain that is not working, and unfortunately, she will not recover from the brain death.”
    Dylan is grieving the loss of his wife, whom he calls his rock, as he prepares for life as a single father to their son.
    The baby will remain in hospital for six to eight weeks after he is born. Dylan is currently off work, earning 55 per cent of his salary.
    He will be unable to work as he looks after his newborn son.
    “I sincerely appreciate everyone who took the time to read this and anyone who is able to help, regardless of the amount,” he said, signing the post “Dylan and Iver.”
    In a Jan. 28 posting to his blog, “Thoughts by Dylan Benson,” he wrote of getting a tour of the neonatal intensive care unit at VGH.
    “It gave me a lot of perspective and made me feel more confident that my son is going to make it,” wrote Dylan.
    “My head and my heart are constantly playing this chess match and it’s so painful. On one hand I can’t wait to meet my son and try and give him the best life possible and try my hardest to be a great dad for him, on the other hand I know that the day or the day after he is born will be the day I have to say goodbye to Robyn.”
    He writes of losing his debit card at a convenience store and the cab driver who’d been driving him to a friend’s house went back to retrieve it. A few days later, the cab driver delivered a home-made lasagna to Benson’s home.
    “He cooked the lasagna himself, and said that [it] was least he could do, he just wanted to help make things a little bit easier for me,” Bensonwrote in the blog.
    smcculloch@timescolonist.com
    Read more stories from the Times Colonist.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Elite Member

^^^ But in that case, the fetus was much closer to viability and the hospital isn't keeping her plugged in against the family's will. It's a sad situation, for sure, but not as cruel and offensive as the other.
    dexter7 likes this.

Absolutely. The saddest thing is, that husband truly felt in his heart that keeping her alive for the sake of the baby is what his wife would have wanted him to do. The other husband knew in his heart (and more importantly, through conversations they'd had) that his wife did not want the same thing. Even her family agreed with him, but their wishes were completely disregarded.

A these news stories came out, I told Mr. Flygirl specifically what I would want in this situation. Being the loving doting (vasectomied) husband that he is he replied, "Well, the baby wouldn't be mine, so that would sure make it easier to unplug you." Bastard.
    Brookie, Kittylady, McJag and 5 others like this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information