Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Brain-Dead Woman Forced to Stay on Life Support Because She’s Pregnant

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's stories like this that remind us forners that America really is a very different country.

Slightly O/T but an American friend of ours was ranting about a health system where he has to pay for contraceptive cover (he was vasectomised 25 years ago) and his post-menopausal wife has to pay cover for pregnancy.
    It's pretty silly to line item coverage like that. If everyone has to pay for a given coverage, just roll it into the total and call it "coverage". I imagine I'm paying for geriatric cover even though I'm 35.

I really hope single payer gets here soon. This shit is ridic.
    sluce and ManxMouse like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    From what I've read, the woman was without oxygen for at least 15 minutes (but probably longer) so the same for the fetus. I can't imagine being oxygen deprived for that long wouldn't somehow damage the fetus. But I do hope the doc is right and everything turns out as positive as possible under the circumstances.
    I doubt that baby will be well. We had another case-woman 8 1/2 months pregnant killed in a car wreck. Kept on life support. Baby girl lived 8 days. Her Grandparents wanted her so badly-they still are almost unable to speak of it.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    If what the Dr in article posted previously is correct, the baby will probably be healthy. Unlike the other girl, this woman's organs are working so the baby is getting what it needs, except respect for its mother's wishes. If the courts force this pregnancy to continue, and the baby is born, I have no doubt the husband and her parents will love the baby and raise it. Then the asshole who enforce this law will promote it as a victory.
    well, if this baby turns out ok, maybe they could keep her plugged up and just use her as an incubator. I mean, why not - it's all we're good for, after all. It's the be-all, end-all that everyone MUST want... this whole case just makes me sick!
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Today the Judge that was to hear this had to recuse herself. The law firm that handles her campaign also represents the hospital.
    Her lawyers say that while doctors have said she is brain dead,they now have the hospital on record saying the same thing. She is legally dead. i am hoping now things are leaning towards her family wishes.
    I have an unusual uneasy now. My husband has relatives that are judges in Ft Worth and I hope they don't get this case.
    no judge is going to truly want to be associated with this case... well, it IS Texas and some WILL actually want to be the one who said "yep, that there baby is worth more than the mother being left in fucking peace, y'all"...
    Because the State of Texas has trouble letting adults make decisions that ONLY affect them. The baby is more important than the mother's death or the fathers wishes. Vote for Wendy Davis.
    gosh, Wendy's really stepping in it, isn't she?
    I doubt that baby will be well. We had another case-woman 8 1/2 months pregnant killed in a car wreck. Kept on life support. Baby girl lived 8 days. Her Grandparents wanted her so badly-they still are almost unable to speak of it.
    If the baby isn't ok, it's another loss for the family - not the state of Texas! In a way, I hope the baby isn't ok so this family can mourn and bury their loved one. To prolong this agony for this family is just sick.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I'm confused. Re the case of the little girl who was pronounced brain dead but mom wouldn't agree to take her off the ventilator, I read that without brain function, the other organs start to shut down. Can't remember if it was an article or a poster here on GR who said that. There was talk that the little girl was already starting to decompose. If all that is true, then how could any reasonable person expect this fetus to make it to a viable point, whether or not it even should, notwithstanding. I guess what I'm asking is at what point does a person pronounced brain dead start to decompose?

That was me. I asked if her body would start to decay. Family of brain dead California girl battles hospital to keep machines on It's at the bottom, and the discussion starts after that.

The poor baby will not come out normal. I can't see anything more than a malnourished, underdeveloped fetus.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Well, this was to be expected. I wonder what the enforcers of this BS will say to try to defend their actions now.

Attorneys: Brain-dead pregnant Texas woman’s fetus is ‘abnormal’

By Arturo Garcia

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 21:27 EST

Attorneys representing a pregnant, brain-dead Texas woman’s family released a statement Wednesday saying the woman’s 22-week-old fetus is “distinctly abnormal,” two days before the case heads back to court.

The Associated Press reported that, according to attorneys Jessica Janicek and Heather King, Marlise Muñoz’s fetus has suffered fluid buildup in its skull and deformed “lower extremities,” as well as an undetermined heart condition.

Quite sadly, this information is not surprising due to the fact that the fetus, after being deprived of oxygen for an indeterminate length of time, is gestating within a dead and deteriorating body, as a horrified family looks on in absolute anguish, distress and sadness,” the statement read.
    Attorneys: Brain-dead pregnant Texas woman’s fetus is ‘abnormal’ | The Raw Story
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Never saw that coming.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Elite Member

Ugh, it is criminal to make that family keep going through this.

What will happen now? This whole case is crazy and I hate that my state has the same insane law.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Wow. Who is paying for all of this? Who will pay for the care of the baby if it is born alive? I would hate to think the state will force the burden of payment onto this family, as all of this was against their wishes. What an awful thing to make a family go through and then to have them shoulder the guilt of choosing to raise or not raise this child with severe disabilities when they should not have been in this position in the first place. I know how hard that choice is, and can only imagine how awful it would feel to have thought it could all have been prevented by simply having the state go along with the wishes of the family from the start.

This is criminal. At the very least I hope this provokes enough outrage, or legal action, that these laws are overturned.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

The "full" quote regarding the lower body deformities "According to the medical records we have been provided, the fetus is distinctly abnormal," the attorneys said. "Even at this early stage, the lower extremities are deformed to the extent that the gender cannot be determined."

Attorneys: Brain-dead woman's fetus 'abnormal' - Houston Chronicle
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

How fucking awful. So if it's abnormal, why the fuck won't they let her go? Even an abnormal fetus is more important?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Please, for the love of God, just unplug her and end this!!!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

The case has gotten the attention of groups on either side of the abortion debate, as anti-abortion groups argue Munoz's fetus deserves a chance to be born.
    Oh my God, I want to scream. What the fuck does this have to do with abortion? His wife is dead. The fetus should have died with her (at 14 weeks, I might add... not nearly old enough to sustain life). That is a sad, sad fact, but pregnant women die all the time. Accusing him of "aborting a baby" or whatnot because he wants his wife to rest in peace is fucking ludicrous. The longer this drags on, the more painful it's going to become.
    witchcurlgirl, badgers! and stef like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I've read comments on articles with people suggesting that he's acting out of greed and selfishness because he doesn't want the responsibility of raising a disabled child without even trying to comprehend the joy they can bring to your life. Others are reacting like he's fighting for a ruling that all disabled children should be disposed of.

You know those times when you really wish you could reach through your screen and repeatedly bitchslap someone until they lose control of their bladder and bowels? Yeah, had a few of those today.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information