Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Brain-Dead Woman Forced to Stay on Life Support Because She’s Pregnant

we don't count sugar, only the babies we carry.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Legally, assuming the baby is born alive, will the family have to take care of a baby they didn't want? Or will it automatically become the state's responsibility?

If what the Dr in article posted previously is correct, the baby will probably be healthy. Unlike the other girl, this woman's organs are working so the baby is getting what it needs, except respect for its mother's wishes. If the courts force this pregnancy to continue, and the baby is born, I have no doubt the husband and her parents will love the baby and raise it. Then the asshole who enforce this law will promote it as a victory.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

A*O

Assuming this woman's husband is also the babydaddy then surely his wishes as next of kin to both of them are paramount? Her parents, siblings, wider family have no say in the matter.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

No. The parents, living or not, have no say. It's all about the fetus.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

You would think everyone agreeing would make this an easy decision, though. It's not as if we have a Terry Schiavo fight on our hands here.

ETA: Everyone agreeing except the almighty state of Texas, that is.

Sorry if it's been asked, but I can't remember reading anything that said Marlise was planning on terminating her pregnancy before she fell ill. Was that the case?

If she and her husband were planning on having the baby, I don't know that it's fair to keep referring to it as a baby no one wants. They may have both wanted it very much, but she died and so did their plans. IMO, this really isn't about abortion unless abortion was her plan all along. She's not being denied an abortion. That isn't what the family is asking for. They're just asking to execute her final wishes. I know that the pregnancy would be terminated as a result, but I still think the distinction is important here. They aren't asking for her to receive a surgical procedure, like a D&E. In fact, they're asking for nothing. Just that machines not impede what's already done. Life happened and a pregnant woman died. It's very sad, yes, and maybe some families would choose something different, but none of that makes this abortion. I'm sure this man is mourning his wife and the child they were expecting.

I'm staunchly pro-choice, but I feel really bad that her husband is being forced into the debate this way. I don't think it's fair to assume this situation is evidence of his beliefs one way or another and it's sad to see him labeled a martyr or villain by either side.
    Last edited by manningmsj; January 16th, 2014 at 09:32 PM.
    Flygirl and MmeVertigina like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    If what the Dr in article posted previously is correct, the baby will probably be healthy. Unlike the other girl, this woman's organs are working so the baby is getting what it needs, except respect for its mother's wishes. If the courts force this pregnancy to continue, and the baby is born, I have no doubt the husband and her parents will love the baby and raise it. Then the asshole who enforce this law will promote it as a victory.
    From what I've read, the woman was without oxygen for at least 15 minutes (but probably longer) so the same for the fetus. I can't imagine being oxygen deprived for that long wouldn't somehow damage the fetus. But I do hope the doc is right and everything turns out as positive as possible under the circumstances.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Today the Judge that was to hear this had to recuse herself. The law firm that handles her campaign also represents the hospital.
    Her lawyers say that while doctors have said she is brain dead,they now have the hospital on record saying the same thing. She is legally dead. i am hoping now things are leaning towards her family wishes.
    I have an unusual uneasy now. My husband has relatives that are judges in Ft Worth and I hope they don't get this case.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

I still don't understand why the father's wishes aren't the ultimate authority. If the baby was born and living on life support surely the father as next of kin would have the right to ask for the machines to be turned off? Is the real issue here that nobody knows if the baby has catastrophic brain damage or not? If the mother was oxygen deprived for so long I don't see how the baby can possibly be even half OK.
    Dame Edna Everage

At least Florida is not on that list.
    sluce, Mel1973, twitchy2.0 and 1 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I still don't understand why the father's wishes aren't the ultimate authority. If the baby was born and living on life support surely the father as next of kin would have the right to ask for the machines to be turned off? Is the real issue here that nobody knows if the baby has catastrophic brain damage or not? If the mother was oxygen deprived for so long I don't see how the baby can possibly be even half OK.
    Because the State of Texas has trouble letting adults make decisions that ONLY affect them. The baby is more important than the mother's death or the fathers wishes. Vote for Wendy Davis.
    Brookie and twitchy2.0 like this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

So who has to pay the hospital bills in this case? If insurance won't cover dead people, is the State going to pay, or is the family going to have to pay?

A*O

It's stories like this that remind us forners that America really is a very different country.

Slightly O/T but an American friend of ours was ranting about a health system where he has to pay for contraceptive cover (he was vasectomised 25 years ago) and his post-menopausal wife has to pay cover for pregnancy.
    Dame Edna Everage

^^^^^My SIL was diagnosed with estrogen-sensitive breast cancer at 31 (while pregnant). She made the (very brave) decision to continue the pregnancy during treatment since she was facing irreversible ovarian ablation. Post-birth, she had a double masectomy and radiation on her ovaries. She has to pay for contraceptive costs too because her insurer is phasing out of "grandfathered in" status and only postmenopausal women or ones who've had surgical hysterectomies can opt out. In a few months, though, they'll be paying too. It's not a perfect system, but it is better than before and even with the slight rise in premiums, it really does save money for women who need it. My husband is Canadian with dual-citizenship, though, and we spend so much time there that I understand how outrageous it still seems to everyone else.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information