Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Baby Giraffe Killed at Copenhagen Zoo and fed to Lions

Hit By Ban Bus!

This breaks my heart...he was offered a new home..why would they do this to that adorable baby giraffe...I hate people sometimes.

This is not the wild it is a zoo, they killed one of their own. You know what else Lions and big cats eat in the wild along with other wild animals? Humans. We do have a surplus of humans and these lions do need to eat...

I have never heard of a zoo killing one of their own and feeding it to the other animals. I think it is fucking sick to raise an animal for a couple of years, name it, have park visitors get to know it, kill it, then have the park visitors watch it be butchered, and then fed to the other animals.
    Last edited by Butterfly; February 10th, 2014 at 10:36 AM.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    ETA - sorry for the long post. I just know that there is more to this that the Daily Fail reported.
    I agree. There's more to this story than being reported. But people don't want to hear the truth.

Copenhagen zoo is actually a great zoo. They do a lot to recreate the animals' natural habitat and way of life, and they work with educating children on wild life.

Here's my take on it:
    1) Surplus animals are being bred, because breeding and parental care is a big part of the animals' natural way of life. Sterilising them means robbing them of a natural and important part of their life. The zoo animals are not domesticated pets, and shouldn't be treated as such.
    2) There were two zoos offering to take it. One was in the same breeding programme as Copenhagen zoo, so eventually they would have to destroy Marius too. The other zoo didn't adhere to the same ethical standards, meaning they could have sold Marius to a circus.
    3) The lions gotta eat. If they hadn't fed Marius to the lions, they would have to kill a goat, a horse or a cow. Is that better? Worse? The lions are not going vegan.
    4) Disecting Marius in front of an audience is part of the zoo's open policy trying to educate children (and adults) on the circle of life - and death. They also had a web cam of a baby elephant that died shotly after birth and the other elephants' reaction to this.
    5) The exact same thing happens in every other zoo. They just don't talk about it openly, which I think is a mistake.
    6) Bengt Holst is a scientist. Give the man some media training.
    7) Next time, don't name the animals.

Zoos are not natural and all should be shut down along with sea world...and circuses. Can't forget about those creepy fucking circuses now can we.

I love hearing people talk about surplus of animals when there are 7 billion of us.

Sterilizations for all! Milkshakes for the ones that slip through the sterilization crack.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Zoos are not natural and all should be shut down
    On a theoretical level I agree, but on a personal level I just love, love, love going to the zoo, provided it's a 'good standard' zoo.
    I try to tell myself, the zoos are important in maintaining wild life and educating people on the impportance of wildlife protection, but I could be fooling mysef. There are probably more 'bad' than 'good' zoos, worldwide speaking.

Sterilizations for all! Milkshakes for the ones that slip through the sterilization crack.
    Lol.

Animal sanctuaries, and habitats are probably good places to visit.

I love hearing people talk about surplus of animals when there are 7 billion of us.

I want to give this 7 billion likes!!
    Butterfly likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

A*O

If nothing else this story is forcing people to think about the realities and ethical issues of keeping/breeding animals in captivity. I think killing and dissecting a giraffe instead of, say, a frog would be pretty confronting but maybe we need to be confronted on this stuff? I do know that it has cast some overdue light on what goes on behind the scenes and it's not always cute and pretty.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

I know I'm having an emotional reaction to this story (as intended) and I do understand that there were reasons that led to this decision. That said, I stayed up til 3am one night watching our local zoo's baby giraffe being born via webcam (it was fascinating!) and if someone shot it in the head with a bolt gun, I would have to cut a bitch.
    Brookie and Kittylady like this.

Just for the record, EU zoos in the European breeding program have the highest standards of animal welfare. The majority of zoos now operate on the wild-life-park. Layout where possible.
    They have dedicated vets, hospitals & quarantine building.
    Let's face it, there are very few animals in EU zoos that were born in the wild, so if they were released into the wild they would either starve to death, be shot badly by poachers, die from diseases or have body parts ripped from them while their hearts are still beating to satisfy the alternative medicine market. What would you prefer?

Also echo-systems are finely balanced. When all those mink were released into the wild they decimated the local wildlife population....it was a complete travesty.
    Free Charmed.

There should be no more breeding no more taking away these animals from the wild...Let all the animals they have now live the natural course of their life, and shut these places down 1 by 1. Start sending animals to habitats or reserves if they are endangered and need to be saved.

And if you HAVE to do this kind of thing - could it NOT be in front of kids and other visitors? Or did they buy front row tickets to this travesty? "Hey kids, wanna watch us kill a baby animal??"
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    And if you HAVE to do this kind of thing - could it NOT be in front of kids and other visitors? Or did they buy front row tickets to this travesty? "Hey kids, wanna watch us kill a baby animal??"
    This I don't get. Firstly the killing was not public. The disection was.

I don't understand why children need to be protected from the knowledge that animals die, that giraffes have a really big heart, that they have the same number of vertabraes as humans despite their long neck.

By no means should kids be forced to watch, but I don't see how it's harmful for them, if they know what's going to happen. Maybe there's a different attitude towards what children can/should handle in different countries.

Apparantly the kids present at the disection of Marius were curious and asked lots of questions.

There should be no more breeding no more taking away these animals from the wild...Let all the animals they have now live the natural course of their life, and shut these places down 1 by 1. Start sending animals to habitats or reserves if they are endangered and need to be saved.
    I give up.
    Free Charmed.

I would let my kids watch a dissection. We used to go to the butcher shop and the kids were fascinated by the occasional hanging cow carcass or the pigs head in the display case. I would look at it as an excellent learning opportunity.
    chartreuse likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information