Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Australian couple leaves Down syndrome baby with Thai surrogate

A*O

The "parents" have now lawyered up and say they "didn't know" about the Down twin. WTF?!?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

fgg

^have their names been exposed?

this situation breaks my heart but as someone who will need a surrogate to have a child and who has grown up with a sister with down's, i know this can't be easy. i won't use a surrogate that won't let me decide on the fate of my unborn children. there are those that won't and that is totally up to them but they won't be someone i select. if these parents didn't think this through and know that the surrogate got to make the choice not to have an abortion, they were incomplete in their preparation for the surrogacy process. unfortunately, i don't know what to do with this little baby because he's here and deserves to be loved. i don't think forcing these people to take him would be a viable option if they've already abandoned him once. he needs a loving & accepting home.
    sputnik, KrisNine, A*O and 2 others like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

The surrogate is claiming she was not told the male twin had down's syndrome until seven months into the pregnancy, which completely changes things in my book. I don't fault anyone for not being able to terminate a pregnancy at that point.

I don't think Gammy should ever be anywhere near his bio-parents. I can't imagine the treatment the poor child would have at their hands.

I hope he's able to get the healthcare treatment he needs and deserves. Perhaps the bio-parents should be on the hook for that. If the surrogate found out about the health issues at 7 months, most likely she would not have been able to terminate the pregnancy at that stage.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

I know, put me down for the ride in the handbasket...
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

This case will twist and turn for months to come. The surrogate never met the couple so she has no idea what they were or were not told. The couple may well have never been told yet they are being blamed for everything and called terrible things. I would not be at all surprised to find that the broker never told them and made a decision on their own. We will probably also find that the couple paid in full and the broker never paid the surrogate. It breaks my heart to see couples so desperate to become parents that they take these risks. It equally breaks my heart to see young women agreeing to be surrogates because they impoverished.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I just seen this thought I would post it.

Man at centre of Thai surrogacy scandal has conviction for indecently dealing with a child

Man at centre of Thai surrogacy scandal has conviction for indecently dealing with a child

New information on the couple at the centre of the baby Gammy surrogacy scandal has revealed that the husband has a previous criminal conviction for indecently dealing with a child.

New information has come to light tonight on the couple at the centre of the baby Gammy surrogacy scandal.
    It has been confirmed that the husband has a criminal history: a conviction for indecently dealing with a child under the age of 13.
    He was jailed for the crime in 1998.
    9NEWS has received confirmation from the man's wife, who said he is a good man regardless of the conviction.
    It's another alarming twist in this sad case.
    The couple continue to deny that they abandoned baby Gammy, who has Down syndrome and a congenital heart defect.
    In fact, they said they didn't know he existed and they deny that he is their son.
    But they do have a daughter, born to a Thai surrogate, on the same day.
    Reports that the Western Australian couple decided to leave baby Gammy with his Thai surrogate surfaced last week.
    The abandonment, reportedly because of his Down syndrome, has raised questions about the surrogacy trade which is often viewed as a lucrative venture for women in poorer, developing countries.
    Prime Minister Tony Abbott expressed his concern at the "incredibly sad story" and said the Government would look into the case.

Seven-month-old Gammy is being raised by 21-year-old Thai woman Pattaramon Chanbua, who reportedly agreed to carry a child for an Australian couple for $16,000.

Reports said when the pregnancy developed into twins the couple, who have not been identified, took Gammy's healthy sister but not the baby boy, who also has a life-threatening heart condition.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison labelled the the Thai street food vendor "a saint" for volunteering to care for Gammy.
    "It is terrible, just absolutely horrible and heartbreaking," Mr Morrison said.

"But I have got to tell you who is an absolute hero in all of this and that is the Thai mother. She is a saint."

Gammy's surrogate mother, who agreed to carry the child so she could afford education for her older children and pay back family debts, has lashed out at the Western Australian couple's claims the surrogacy service only told them about Gammy's healthy sister.

Ms Pattharamon is now considering legal action against the couple, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

“I am very upset that the father said like that. I really want him to come to Thailand to see me … I would like to talk with him in front of the media,” she told the newspaper.

Read more at Man at centre of Thai surrogacy scandal has conviction for indecently dealing with a child
    Last edited by Jazzy; August 4th, 2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: changed text size

fgg

is it just me or is it odd that a 21 yo surrogate who didn't realize/know/understand that you don't actually sleep with the man is all the sudden aware enough that she is considering legal action against the couple? this is a sad situation all around and i think a lot of people are being taken advantage of.

side note - i never thought about pedos, creeps, etc. using surrogates to have babies. this is a total minefield.
    sluce and lindsaywhit like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Yes, it is. People who cannot be approved to adopt through agencies will also do a private adoption to get around some rules. But, even then, a home study is still required and someone with a police record will be found out before they can finalize the adoption.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    This was a semi legal, unregulated, commercial surrogacy arrangement with an uneducated Thai peasant girl. Nobody appears to have any legal protection or obligation at all, only a moral one and relying on that is always very risky. The baby is now in a good hospital receiving the treatment he needs thanks to generous public donations ($200k?) but his longer term future still looks very uncertain.

If the bio parents of this baby are as morally bankrupt as these two seem to be then maybe their infertility was God trying to tell them they don't deserve to be parents. Flame away.
    I throw fire on you! (I do love you A*O, but.....if something horrible happened to you, my first response would not be "well, maybe God was trying to teach her a lesson)

Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    This.
    see above (please burn)

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I don't agree that infertility is any sort of punishment but those two should have never had kids, such pricks. I hope their "normal" daughter gives them hell when she grows up.
    thank you yanna

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Infertility isn't a sign from the universe that you'll be a terrible parent. Look at all the shitty parents who have no trouble spitting out kids.
    THIS THIS THIS THIS times a million.

If you are diagnosed with terminal cancer, or have a child that dies, or a house that burns down, (or maybe can't conceive a child), etc, I don't like to think "well, you must have deserved that (crippling accident, unexpected family death, infertility, etc). I know we are all a sarcastic bunch of wonderful bitches, but sometimes I wonder if some of us really believe that awful things should happen to certain people. I can sometime follow the idea of "whatever happens is meant to be....." or "God has a plan" ideology, but I don't like when people try to say "This bad thing is going to happen to you because karma/God/etc knew this is what you deserved".
    Last edited by dexter7; August 5th, 2014 at 08:27 AM.
    sluce, Kittylady, Mivvi21 and 2 others like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ Thank you. I'd like to know what we have done that's so damn awful that left me with plummeting hormone levels and him with diabetic complications that mean we'll never be parents while someone else can keep on spitting out crack babies that need to be taken from them at birth. When facing childlessness you deal with enough naturally occurring guilt without it being suggested that some God is doing the world a favour by kicking you out of the gene pool.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    I throw fire on you! (I do love you A*O, but.....if something horrible happened to you, my first response would not be "well, maybe God was trying to teach her a lesson)

see above (please burn)

thank you yanna

THIS THIS THIS THIS times a million.

If you are diagnosed with terminal cancer, or have a child that dies, or a house that burns down, (or maybe can't conceive a child), etc, I don't like to think "well, you must have deserved that (crippling accident, unexpected family death, infertility, etc). I know we are all a sarcastic bunch of wonderful bitches, but sometimes I wonder if some of us really believe that awful things should happen to certain people. I can follow the idea of "whatever happens is meant to be....." or "God has a plan" ideology, but I don't like when people try to say "This bad thing is going to happen to you because karma/God/etc knew this is what you deserved".
    This! The whole maybe you deserve it stuff is plain offensive bullshit. Shit happens unfortunately and it's not because some 'god' planned it.

A*O

So you're saying these assholes DO deserve to be parents because it's their "right"? He's a convicted sex offender and would never have been allowed to adopt, legally or otherwise. An illegal backstreet turkey baster surrogacy was the other option and they decided not to keep the defective unit. There's a lot more of this sad story to come out and none of it will be edifying.
    Brookie and Mel1973 like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

No one is denying they're assholes but there's no need to throw in any kind of 'divine punishment' or 'sign' from the heavens as to why they can't have babies of their own. you know very well that's not how the world works, a*o. infertility has nothing to do with karma or divine retribution. quite the contrary, given the rates at which assholes, sex offenders and generally awful people keep breeding the world over.
    Sarzy, Honey, Kittylady and 2 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Calm down chooks. My comment wasn't intended to be taken literally. Duh. The complete randomness of why some people who would make fantastic parents are denied the opportunity, while assholes can apparently breed unhindered may be down to basic luck and biology but if assholes do find themselves unable to make their valuable contribution to the gene pool surely that's something to be thankful for no matter what? Unfortunately the use and abuse of IVF allows them to breed anyway and this is the inevitable result.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information