Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: Another black man shot in Miami, thankfully not killed, but watch

I've always had very good experiences with police, I've been given breaks multiple times. But I recognize the police brutality and discrimination going on here and I'm proud of the people protesting out there against it. Every time I hear about people killed in police custody or just innocent people hurt not in police custody lately, they're black.

They beat people right on the street as news helicopters fly overhead taping the whole thing. So if they're brazen enough to do it in public, you can imagine what they're doing to people once they get them down in the station behind closed doors that never makes the news.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

The majority of police officers are good people, but when those that aren't are getting away with murder, literally, we are left with a distrust of anyone carrying a gun.

Trevor Noah has a hysterical stand up regarding coming to America as a black man from South Africa.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    I know some (many?) of you will disagree, but I do believe most officers are good guys, trying to do their job of protecting the public. I know every day we hear about yet another incident of trigger happy officers shooting for no valid reason. But I do believe these do NOT represent how most police officers act. But unfortunately, it's always a few that make everyone look bad.
    One of my best friends is married to a police officer & he is a genuinely good man who cares about his community. She is terrified every day that he goes to work, especially after the shootings here in Dallas.
    Then they need to step up and call for accountability when things like this happen instead of hiding behind the blue line. It's not just the shootings - it's the us vs. them mentality that automatically assumes the shooting victim deserved it and the mental gymnastics the cops perform to justify bad acts. Lie with dogs and you get fleas.

Elite Member

I'm terrified everday for my husband, too. My brother in law, my sister in law, my nephews, my niece my 2 year old son. They can't take off a uniform or a bumper sticker. It's our life until we die.

Today we were at the mall of america for my son's birthday, and a cop pulled up along side us and my husband was so worried that he'd die in front of our son on his birthday.
    Kids are murdered by police at parks, therapists are shot, teachers are body slammed.
    I really don't like to compare and I am not saying it's that bad, but when are we going to stand up? When they are defacing stores? When they are pulling people from homes and shooting them in the street? Deporting to "relocate"?
    It's not okay to stereo type police officers, or veterans who have been doing a whole lot of shootings lately, but let's not pretend POC aren't profiled.

Have you guys seen the news on this incident that happened last year?:

Video shows white cop in violent confrontation with black motorist - CBS News

AUSTIN, Texas -- Patrol car video publicly released Thursday shows a white Austin, Texas, police officer violently throwing a black woman to the ground during a traffic stop, followed by another white officer telling her black people have "violent tendencies" and whites are justifiably afraid.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo condemned both officers' actions. He called the officer's comments on the video "disturbing" and said a criminal investigation has been opened against the officer who arrested Breaion King.

Play VIDEO
    Raw video shows Austin officer take down school teacher

The traffic stop happened in June 2015 but wasn't made public until the Austin American-Statesman published the video Thursday. Acevedo called a news conference hours later and said both officers have been taken off street patrol and are on desk duty pending new internal investigations, which he said will include both officers' conduct in the year since the incident.

The video is surfacing amid heightened nationwide tension over police treatment of black people.

"For those that think life is perfect for people of color, I want you to listen to that conversation and tell me we don't have social issues in this nation," said Acevedo, who is Hispanic. "Issues of bias. Issues of racism. Issues of people being looked at different because of their color."

In one of two videos, Officer Patrick Spradlin is heard talking to King, who was pulled over for speeding, about race while driving her to jail.

"Why are so many people afraid of black people?" Spradlin asks.

King replies that she is also trying to figure that out.

"I can give you a really good idea why it might be that way," he said. "Violent tendencies."

Spradlin goes on to say that "I don't blame" white people for being afraid because of violence in the black community. "Some of them, because of their appearance and whatnot, some of them are very intimidating," he says.

The newspaper identified King as an elementary school teacher. Her attorney did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Acevedo said King didn't file a complaint after the arrest and he didn't know about the traffic stop until this week, saying his subordinates should have previously alerted him to the video.

King told the newspaper the encounter changed how she views police.

Acevedo said she was pulled over for driving 15 mph over the speed limit when Officer Bryan Richter ordered her out of the car. The video shows him nearly throwing her into an adjacent truck while trying to place her under arrest in a Wendy's parking lot.

"I've become fearful to live my life," King told the newspaper. "I would rather stay home. I've become afraid of the people who are supposed to protect me and take care of me."

Richter can be heard in the video ordering King to "stop resisting" as he orders her out of the car. The angle of the video doesn't fully show King while she is inside the car.

Richter orders King to put her hands behind her back while the two struggle on the ground.

CBS Austin affiliate KEYE-TV reports a resisting arrest charge against King was later dropped.

According to the station, court documents say King had actually parked her car in the lot and was walking to the eatery when Richter told her she was being stopped for speeding and said he needed to see her driver's license.

She began looking under her driver's seat and retrieved a wallet. Before handing over her license, court documents say, she questioned whether Richter could stop her since she was already parked. He said he could and he believed she only pulled into the parking lot to avoid being pulled over, because she didn't have her wallet with her to pay for a meal.

After she gave Officer Richter her ID, he asked her to sit down in her vehicle. When she didn't immediately cooperate Officer Richter made the decision to place her in handcuffs because he was concerned with her uncooperative attitude, which he thought would escalate if he returned to his vehicle, police say.

But once he reached for her arm to place her in cuffs, court documents say she resisted.

Dashcam video shows Richter throwing her to the ground, yelling at her to stop resisting.

While being pinned to the ground, King says she's trying and he's not giving her enough time to comply.

Court documents say the struggle lasted 90 seconds.

Richter has been a police officer since 2010 and Spradlin since 2001, according to Austin police. Listed phone numbers for the officers could not immediately be found.

Acevedo said he reviewed the video Wednesday with black community leaders for nearly 3-1/2 hours. He said they included Fatima Mann, an activist with the Austin Justice Coalition, who told reporters outside the police station she didn't understand how no one in the department had previously raised concerns about the video.

"If that was a white woman, would he have yanked her out ... and slammed her on the ground? Most of us could say absolutely not," Mann said. "But for reason, for some strange reason, when people look like me, we're more of a threat, and that means we get treated and thrown around as if we don't matter."

The Austin police union said in a statement that it understands the public's reaction to Richter's response and that Spradlin's comments were "wrong and not reflective of the values and beliefs of the men and women who serve this community."
    BITTER likes this.

Elite Member

^^^ That is absolutely infuriating. If someone is a threat to others, then by all means, take them down, but for a fucking speeding ticket? It's not against the law to question an officer. It's not even against the law to be a smartass to them. If a cop can't take a little lip, he needs to apply for a job that doesn't involve interacting with the public at all.

Yes, I understand that society needs police officers, but they're a necessary evil, like taxes and flu shots.

No Charges for Cops Who ‘Accidentally’ Fired 107 Bullets at an Innocent Mom and Daughter

Andrew Emet

Los Angeles, CA – Exposing the double standard between police and civilians, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Wednesday that no criminal charges will be filed against the eight LAPD officers responsible for nearly killing an innocent woman and her daughter. Although the cops ambushed the unarmed women without warning and fired over 100 bullets without provocation, the district attorney justified the case of mistaken identity due to the fact that the officers involved were afraid and incompetent.

At 5 a.m. on February 7, 2013, Margie Carranza and her mother, Emma Hernandez, were delivering newspapers throughout a residential neighborhood in Torrance when eight LAPD cops suddenly opened fire. As Carranza suffered cuts from the flying glass, Hernandez was shot twice in the back while trying to protect her daughter. One bullet exited just above Hernandez’s collarbone, while the other bullet struck her lower back, near her spine. A fragment of shattered glass also flew into her eye.

After firing 107 bullets at the innocent women, the LAPD cops ordered them out of the vehicle and immediately realized their mistake. Instead of a 33-year-old black man, two Hispanic women exited the pickup truck and demanded to know, “Why did you shoot at us?”

Instead of rendering first aid or even apologizing for the act of attempted murder, the officers called for paramedics while refusing to offer any explanation for the ambush. Awakened by the gunfire, residents emerged from their homes to find their vehicles, houses, and front doors riddled with bullets. With five bullet holes in the entryway to his house, one neighbor asked, “How do you mistake two Hispanic women, one who is 71, for a large black male?”

Twenty-five minutes after the shooting, Torrance police officers stopped David Perdue a few blocks away as he was driving to the beach to go surfing before work. After the officers questioned him and ordered Perdue to turn around, he complied with their commands and began driving away when another Torrance police cruiser raced towards his vehicle and broadsided him. Suffering from a concussion and back pain, Perdue remained in his vehicle as an officer opened fire on him.

Although Torrance PD and LAPD were searching for a black man driving a gray Nissan Titan, Perdue is a white man who was driving a black Honda Ridgeline. Carranza and Hernandez were driving a blue Toyota Tacoma when the officers ambushed them without bothering to confirm their identities.

The officers responsible for nearly killing Carranza and her mother had been tasked with guarding the house of LAPD Capt. Justin Eisenberg. Because the police captain had been a member of the Board of Rights that voted to terminate former Officer Christopher Dorner, police suspected Dorner might attempt to kill Eisenberg or his family. The police captain was also named in Dorner’s manifesto, which he posted online after the initial murders.

In his manifesto, Dorner accused Sgt. Teresa Evans of kicking a restrained suspect named Christopher Gettler in the chest and face. After filing a complaint against Evans, Dorner was labeled a liar by the department and subsequently fired. Dorner also pointed out in his manifesto that many of the officers involved in the Rodney King beating and Rampart scandal during the 1990s have been promoted to supervisory or command positions within the LAPD and surrounding departments.

On Wednesday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced that LAPD officers Jess Faber, Marlon Franco, Sergio Gramajo, John Hart, Geoff Lear, Deshon Parker, Jonathan Roman, and Sgt. John Valdez would not face charges for the attempted murders of Carranza and her mother. Due to the fact that the entire police department was scared of one man and could not be held accountable for their incompetent actions, none of the officers who fired 107 bullets at two unarmed, innocent women will face prosecution.

Although the women received a $4.2 million settlement and a new pickup truck, no cop will be held accountable for firing the first shot or failing to correctly identify the make/model of the vehicle along with the race and gender of its occupants.

Although LAPD Chief Charlie Beck announced during the manhunt that officials would re-examine Dorner’s allegations of police misconduct, nearly three years have passed without any results. Instead, Sgt. Teresa Evans filed a lawsuit against the LAPD last year alleging racial discrimination against her. Evans is white.

Andrew Emett is a Los Angeles-based reporter exposing political and corporate corruption. His interests include national security, corporate abuse, and holding government officials accountable. Andrew’s work has appeared on Raw Story, Alternet, Activist Post, and many other sites. You can follow him on Twitter @AndrewEmett and on Facebook at

Andrew Emett.

Read more at No Charges for Cops Who 'Accidentally' Fired 107 Bullets at an Innocent Mom and Daughter
    Brah likes this.

stella blue likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I just read the LAPD story to my husband and he's shocked. At the fact that no one got charged for wrongful death, anything. Those same exemptions wouldn't be applied to normal citizens and that's what's bullshit.
    in21derland likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

^Beyond shocking! My god.

I just tried to find an article I read the other day, that a cop was found innocent of killing a 17 year old that he shot because he thought the kid had weed (he didn't). I couldn't even find it amongst all the police shooting articles, when I googled.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    The police chief won't name names...okay. I actually saw a post on Twitter questioning why Charles Kinsey was wearing shorts if he is a professional counselor and maybe that's why he was shot because the cops didn't believe him. I couldn't believe it. It's Miami. Miami.
    I'm with you here.

Uh, because it's motherfucking Miami?! Goddamn, people are dumb.

My uniform home health nursing (and I had to be in office almost daily too) was cargo capris, some sort of comfy, waterproof or moisture-wicking breathable shoe, a lightweight short sleeve top, and a white scrub vest (so I could still have the pockets, since I sometimes need them when I can't carry my bag in a place). I don't think any of my work scrubs or pants were longer than this:

And "oh btw, we weren't aiming for the black guy, we were trying to shoot the white autistic dude, it's cool everybody!"

WTF?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I am so fearful if the "Law & Order" candidate gets in what will happen.

It's like he's telling law enforcement that they have a free range to do whatever they want. About the cop killings, he is all about stopping it at no cost, but refuses to say why people are shooting the cops. You can't constantly shit on people and expect them to take it.

I am sorry, but I get quite worked up about this issue. My heart breaks for the parents. They teach their kids to live by the law, to do things that will keep themselves safe, and they do these things and get killed anyway, because of the color of their skin.

It's sickening.

Buy
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    ^Beyond shocking! My god.

I just tried to find an article I read the other day, that a cop was found innocent of killing a 17 year old that he shot because he thought the kid had weed (he didn't). I couldn't even find it amongst all the police shooting articles, when I googled.
    Is this the story? I've seen the video for this one. I came across another story about a cop killing a 17 year old kid for flashing his lights at him. The cop's headlights were new and super bright. Two other motorists had flashed their lights at him, but he pulled the kid over. A confrontation ensued when the kid argued about being pulled over. The cop ended up shooting and killing him. No charges were filed.

South Carolina officer shoots unarmed white teen - CNN.com

^No, it wasn't that one. It was a cop that was off-duty, wearing basketball shorts and a tank top, and he ran up to the kids car and started banging on the window with his gun, demanding the kid get out. The kid thought he was trying to rob him, so he starting to drive away, and that's when the cop shot him up. The cop was just found innocent, iirc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information