Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air traffic controller brings kid to work, allows kid to direct air traffic

I guess there is no take your kid to work day at JFK. I think it was brilliant that it happened and you now what? That kid might just go into that profession. I think kids should be more exposed to certain jobs that aren't normally accessible. I know a lot more people would go into certain fields if they would open up just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I think it's funny.
    So did those pilots! FAA, not so much.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

seriously, no harm no foul. people are really overreacting. a stern warning and maybe a suspension to quell people's need to see someone punished () and then things can go back to normal.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Did you hear the recordings? The pilots got a kick out of it & had no problem with it. They obviously knew an adult was standing right there. While this was not the brightest move, it really did no harm. I think both the air controller & his supervisor are going to get fired. I wish they would just give them a stern warning.
    Even if the pilots had a problem, what were they going to do? Say "Get your snotmonster away from the equipment"?

And yes, the firing is harsh, but I can't imagine a scenario where this dude thought what he did is actually allowed.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

All the kid did was clear them for take off. It's not like he was directing them in the air or even for a landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Even if the pilots had a problem, what were they going to do? Say "Get your snotmonster away from the equipment"?

And yes, the firing is harsh, but I can't imagine a scenario where this dude thought what he did is actually allowed.
    That is exactly what they would have done. Said: get your Dad on here, right now!" They didn't.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

He hasn't been fired yet, he and his supervisor are suspended for the moment. Oh, and he did it again the following day, this time with his daughter:

FAA confirms 2nd kid in JFK control tower
    Updated 10:50 a.m. ET

A second child communicated with passenger jets at John F. Kennedy International Airport in mid-February, the Federal Aviation Administration confirmed Thursday morning.

A JetBlue plane is towed to a gate at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York in 2007. (AP/Henny Ray Abrams)The same controller brought another child into the tower the day after his son communicated with at least five planes as they taxied at JFK Airport, the agency said. Officials could not confirm whether the second child was a boy or girl.

FAA also clarified on Thursday that the original child, a boy, was in the control tower on the evening of Feb 16. Initial reports by news organizations said the child was in the tower on Feb. 17, but the audio files were timestamped in Zulu time for 0030 Z on Feb. 17 -- or 7:30 p.m. ET on Feb 16.

The second child was in the tower on Feb. 17 at about 4:15 p.m., FAA said.

The agency placed the air traffic controller and his supervisor on administrative leave Wednesday amid an uproar about the incidents.

The agency also suspended unofficial visits to air traffic control towers pending the ongoing investigation. Air traffic controllers can give tours to family members with a supervisor's permission.

“This is a stunning example of a lack of professionalism, not following the rules, not using commonsense,” Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told a Senate committee on Thursday.

On Wednesday FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt said the incidents "not only violated FAA's own policies, but common sense standards for professional conduct."

The National Air Traffic Controllers Association also criticized the controller and supervisor.

Federal Eye - FAA confirms 2nd kid in JFK control tower

A*O

Typical hysterical over-reaction. The father told the kid to say "clear for takeoff". That's all.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

You know that scene in Airplane 2, where the kid thinks the ATC screen is a video game....

Imagine yourself on the operating table and your surgeon brings in his kid and says, "cut here". The surgeon is trained in his profession to handle a number of different possible situations, as is the air traffic controller. It's unprofessional to do otherwise. In any case, the FAA is not amused. I'm frankly surprised the pilots didn't say anything. I'm not sure these guys need to be fired, but they do need some kind of disciplinary action. Their casualness astonishes me.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

What difference does it make if the ATC guy says "clear for takeoff" or if he tells someone else to say it? That's all that happened FFS. There's a lot of chat and banter between pilots and ATC all the time. I agree it was probably unwise but only because of this over-reaction by everyone except the pilots.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

A pilot might be reluctant or hesitate to follow instructions if he's not confident about the child's voice on the radio. There are hundreds of lives at stake.

There could be problems- think any problems that are associated with flying. Air traffic is not something to fool around with.

Not cute. Stupid.

He let both of his kids direct air traffic on two separate occasions,and it was more than just "clear for takeoff". The boy stumbled through a couple of them while his dad was yapping in the background telling him what to say. It could easily have been mis-heard and could have caused major problems. There is zero reason to have a child in an air-traffic control tower. Not one.

Also,air-traffic controllers have one of the most demanding,and stressful jobs there is to have. They need to be paying 100% attention at all times. What this guy did was reckless and stupid. Hell,even his own union isn't backing him for doing this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    A pilot might be reluctant or hesitate to follow instructions if he's not confident about the child's voice on the radio. There are hundreds of lives at stake.

There could be problems- think any problems that are associated with flying. Air traffic is not something to fool around with.

Not cute. Stupid.
    Good point. It's not cute.

Still, firing or a lengthy suspension is an overreaction. A few days suspension sounds reasonable.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post

Not cute. Stupid.
    Dad was lucky something off the wall didn't suddenly happen. I hate to fly (I dont fly) but I'd like to think someone competent is in the control tower not some tot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information