Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub bars pregnant woman to 'protect unborn child'

Default Pub bars pregnant woman to 'protect unborn child'

A PREGNANT UK woman was refused a drink at a pub and was then asked to leave by staff who said they were protecting her unborn child.
    Five months pregnant Caroline Williams, 26, said she felt humiliated, insisting she was a responsible mother who would never endanger her baby.
    The incident at The Cricketer in Hove, East Sussex, reignited the debate on drinking during pregnancy, with officials yesterday advising pregnant women or those trying to conceive toavoid alcohol.
    Excess alcohol consumption is linked to foetal alcohol syndrome which can cause mental retardation and birth defects. But other experts said an occasional glass of wine would not harm an unborn child.
    Mrs Williams was at the pub with with friends last Sunday.
    "I had a pint of lager and a friend offered to get me another half - that was my limit," she said.
    "He was refused service because it was for me and when I took a sip from another friend's glass the assistant manageress asked us to leave. I never felt so humiliated in my life.
    "I don't think what I did was doing any harm. This is my second baby and I'm feeling more relaxed about this pregnancy than I did with my first but I'm still very careful.
    "I understand what the pub was thinking but they didn't approach me to discuss it - they were just rude and ordered us out."

Mrs Williams said she did not want to "cause a scene" so they left.
    "The assistant manageress was ... (imposing) her opinions about what pregnant women should and shouldn't be consuming," she said.
    Pubs in Britain have the right to refuse to serve customers and do not need to give a reason for doing so.
    An assistant manageress, who did not give her name, confirmed she had asked Mrs Williams to leave.
    Another staff member defended the decision. "(She) was only thinking of the welfare of the mother and child," she said.
    But a spokesman for the Mitchells and Butler chain, which owns the pub, apologised and said an investigation had been launched.

UK pub bars pregnant woman to 'protect unborn child' | World News | News.com.au

Is 9 months too long for this idiot? f.a.s is Forever, dumbass!
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

wtf are you a complete retard? you dont fucking drink when preggo.

Also, not a good idea to be in a smoky pub breathing in all that shit. Oh fuck it, go drink and smoke and have a miscarriage, you're too fucking stupid to breed.

Nice hair too, bucket head.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Wait, this cunt is upset because they refused her pregnant ass a drink..stupid bitch! There needs to be a damn test!!!!!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

i hope she wasn't fishing for sympathy with this article.. cause it ain't gonna happen. Some people should not have children.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

A*O

Whether or not you agree that drinking is harmful during pregnancy it's not up to an interfering busybody member of staff in a bloody pub to decide whether this woman is "allowed" to drink or not. It's entirely her decision and nobody else's damn business. We don't hear about shop assistants refusing to sell cigarettes to pregnant women and so far neither activity is illegal although the way the health nazis are taking over it won't be long now. Drink up ladies!
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    wtf are you a complete retard? you dont fucking drink when preggo.

Also, not a good idea to be in a smoky pub breathing in all that shit. Oh fuck it, go drink and smoke and have a miscarriage, you're too fucking stupid to breed.
    Grimm, there's a smoking ban in pubs in the UK now. No more smokey pubs!

And I'm surprised how harsh everyone is being. How did we manage for hundreds of thousands of years when women probably drank alcohol, smoked, ate blue cheese and peanuts and did all sorts of harmful things 'to the baby' without even realising. It's her choice, 20-30 years ago this wouldn't have even been an issue.

To address the indignity of the article, I believe there is no purported evidence that one beer in a pub will cause an irrevocable case of fetal alcohol syndrome.

And in the same vein, but in a larger sense, it seems to me that the more governments take an interest in and attempt to protect citizens from any possible kind of risk, the more their civil rights are restricted on every front. Dangerous waters.

These pubs are privately owned and therefore can (rightly or wrongly) deny anybody service, they really don't owe anybody an explanation. If they don't like it, they should boycott it and tell their friends to do the same. Stop bitching because there is nothing else you can do. And I don't think that somebody saying its wrong for a pregnant woman to drink constitutes a health nazi. There used to be a pregnant lady who would come into the bar at the restaurant I worked in every day to drink and chain-smoke throughout her whole pregnancy. Pissed me off royally. Some people really shouldn't be allowed to breed. That being said, I do think that the bar was wrong to make a spectacle out of it. I don't think they were necessarily in the wrong for denying her service, if her dipshit friends want to continue letting her drink out of their drinks, well then...good riddance to her. I wouldn't pay her a second thought if it was so important to her. It really is no different than them refusing service to someone who is completely inebriated, if they think it is dangerous to do so.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

A*O

Everyone screams that abortion should only be the mother's choice, it's her body, blah blah, and not an interfering church or Pro Life group; and abortion is most definitely harmful to a baby. Whether she chooses to drink or smoke is also her choice so let her make that choice and live with the consequences.

Women have been drinking alcohol - not binge drinking quarts of bourbon, just normal, social drinks now and then - forever and the human race hasn't devolved into drooling, retarded cretins...... no wait
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Silver Member

When you get TIP certified as a server or a bartender, they will actually tell you not to refuse service to pregnant woman. There is no law against it, and it's basically not our place to tell someone they can't drink, unless they are under 21 or are intoxicated, because that is the law.

There was a case in New Hampshire that a pregnant woman was refused service in a bar and she sued them and WON a good amount of money.

I don't agree with drinking while pregnant. With my last child, I spent a good nine months sniffing a wine bottle because I wanted wine so badly, but wouldn't take a sip. I do know several people who've had a drink here and there during pregnancy, their kids are fine. I also worked with a lot of FAS kids though too and it's sooooooo not worth the risk to me.

That said, unless this is illegal, I think it falls under her body, her choice, suck as it may. I don't know if the pub can legally refuse to serve her. (I can just see a human rights case being made out of it here in Ontario)

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Whether or not you agree that drinking is harmful during pregnancy it's not up to an interfering busybody member of staff in a bloody pub to decide whether this woman is "allowed" to drink or not. It's entirely her decision and nobody else's damn business. We don't hear about shop assistants refusing to sell cigarettes to pregnant women and so far neither activity is illegal although the way the health nazis are taking over it won't be long now. Drink up ladies!
    ----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    To address the indignity of the article, I believe there is no purported evidence that one beer in a pub will cause an irrevocable case of fetal alcohol syndrome.

And in the same vein, but in a larger sense, it seems to me that the more governments take an interest in and attempt to protect citizens from any possible kind of risk, the more their civil rights are restricted on every front. Dangerous waters.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree more with you both. The fact is this woman is an adult and what she was doing is legal (as it should be). No one has the right to control a woman who is pregnant anymore than any other adult person. A woman does not become public property just because she is pregnant. She is still a human with the same rights as everyone else even if you dso not agree with her lifestyle choices. Frankly, I believe all this alcohol hysteria is just a bunch of fear mongering and the only people who don't see through the busy bodies who just want to control other people are likely to be buttinskies themselves. Just because you are doing it 'for their own good' doesn't make it okay. Besides, FAS doesn't come from the occasional beer and you don't have the right to make assumptions about this lady's drinking habits by assuming she must be drinking a 12 pack per day. If the bar is so concerned about the safety of its patrons, do they have breathalizers at the exit door to test every one of their customers before they leave to make sure they aren't drinving drunk (which is illegal, by the way). Drunk in public is also illegal and i'd like to know what they are doing to stop that. Do they serve fried, greasy food to obese people? Probably so. This woman having a drink does not pose an imminent threat to her child. She still has more rights than her baby anyway and no one knows that her kid will be born damaged in any way. I'm sick of all this Henny Penny the sky is falling! nonsense.

Oh yeah, if this woman had been in her first trimester (the most crucial time) they would have served her all the booze she wanted and not batted an eye. But because she looks more pregnant now, they think drinking is worse and it isn't.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^
    Agree with Crumpet, A*O, etc. This is paternalistic, misinformed, overbearing nonsense. A recent study showed that at least one drink every day in the later months of pregnancy is fine. People go waaay overboard with the FAS paranoia.

As long as it's legal, it's no one else's business to butt in for the sake of the baaaaybee.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

She is an adult,having a drink OUT. She wasn't staying at home downing a keg. Didn't people used to think beer was really good for you? I would not take a sip,but I don't think an adult woman should be cut off like a toddler.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information