Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy's essay leads to child abuse charge for dad

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Boy's essay leads to child abuse charge for dad

OREGON, Wis. A father allegedly shot his 9-year-old son in the buttocks with a BB gun, a revelation that came to light after the boy wrote a school essay about the incident.

The essay referred to the "painful afternoon my Dad shot me with a BB gun." The boy wrote that his mother could hear him scream from the road, and called the experience "the most painful thing I ever felt in my life."

The elementary-school teacher turned the essay over to Dane County investigators.

David J. Peschl, 36, was charged Friday with one felony count of child abuse. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 6 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Peschl admitted to investigators that he shot the boy, the criminal complaint said. Peschl said he was trying to watch TV in his home in the southern Wisconsin town of Oregon but the boy was blocking his view and didn't move out of the way when asked to do so.

Peschl said he happened to be holding a BB gun, and he aimed at his son's left rear pocket because he thought that would be more padded, the complaint said.

"The defendant stated that the round hit (the 9-year-old) in the buttocks and he jumped somewhat and moved away from the TV," the complaint said.

Peschl told The Associated Press on Saturday evening he did fire the gun, but it was only "horseplay" and "a dumb mistake."

"It was not out of violence or anger or hatred. It was not a disciplinary action," he said. "It was horseplay. That's all I can say. It was not with any evil intent."

The shooting left a welt about the size of a dime, the complaint quoted a 17-year-old brother as saying.

The 9-year-old "yelped and yelled ouch or 'aagh' and began running around holding his butt," the teen said.

Peschl told AP he felt instant regret.

"I knew right away it was a stupid thing I did," he said. "I told my kids the only way I'm going to touch them is to kiss them, hug them, tickle them. I was very, I was not under the influence of anything. It was a very stupid decision."

He was released Friday on a signature bond and ordered not to threaten or engage in any acts of violence against his son. He was also ordered not to engage in physical discipline of any child.

He also has a 6-year-old son.

Peschl said he hadn't seen the essay his 9-year-old wrote, but from what police told him he suspected it might have included embellishments.

"It doesn't really seem like the terminology my son would use unless he was being helped write an essay," he said. "I don't know if a teacher was helping him and being, you know, elaborate in the storytelling."

Peschl was previously charged with child abuse in 2005. He was placed into the Deferred Prosecution program, which he successfully completed.

He declined to discuss the previous charge except to say that he underwent anger-management and family counseling that helped him settle down.

"I love these boys more than anything in the world. My wife, my family are the most important thing in the world," he said. "This, it was a very dumb mistake."
    FOXNews.com - Wisconsin Boy's Essay Leads to Dad's Child-Abuse Charge - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Hmmm....it was a joke, it wasn't abuse, the teacher must embellished, oh, and he's already been done for child abuse. That wife needs to get those kids away from this lunatic immediately, if not sooner.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

yeah he sounds like a real winner. My uncle accidentily shot his daughter with a bb gun once he didn't think it was loaded(stupid of him but you'd have to know him)he felt like total shit. I of course found it hilarious
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

That guy has serious Issues. Poor kid-and dear ol' Dad really still doesn't get it-"embellishments"?? He shot him! This one isn't gonna get it until he gets shot with a BB to fully grasp what kind of embellishments were or were not used. The children need to be removed,IMO.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    yeah he sounds like a real winner. My uncle accidentily shot his daughter with a bb gun once he didn't think it was loaded(stupid of him but you'd have to know him)he felt like total shit. I of course found it hilarious
    *snickers*
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    My Bio-father once shot himself in the foot with his own air rifle while demonstrating to Ma Kitty about the safe handling of it - "always make sure that the safety is on and you keep it pointed down (points air rife towards the ground to underline the statement and promptly shoots himself in the foot). Apparently it ranks right up there with the time his own dog bit him for slapping her backside as one of the few happy memories she has of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    My Bio-father once shot himself in the foot with his own air rifle while demonstrating to Ma Kitty about the safe handling of it - "always make sure that the safety is on and you keep it pointed down (points air rife towards the ground to underline the statement and promptly shoots himself in the foot). Apparently it ranks right up there with the time his own dog bit him for slapping her backside as one of the few happy memories she has of him.
    I think some federal agent guy or something shot himself in the leg once while demonstrating safe gun handling.

Peschl said he was trying to watch TV in his home in the southern Wisconsin town of Oregon but the boy was blocking his view and didn't move out of the way when asked to do so.

I know I shouldn't laugh but that is crazy!

This is ridiculous. it was a stupid thing to do, but he'll probably lose his kids, while somewhere in the country, there are children being starved, locked in basements and beaten daily. The system makes me sick.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    This is ridiculous. it was a stupid thing to do, but he'll probably lose his kids, while somewhere in the country, there are children being starved, locked in basements and beaten daily. The system makes me sick.
    ^^^ Agreed
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I wonder if my son would let me use him as a guinea pig. Joking aside, the guy is an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Peschl said he was trying to watch TV in his home in the southern Wisconsin town of Oregon but the boy was blocking his view and didn't move out of the way when asked to do so.

shades of my childhood...
    On avance, on avance, on avance...

....maybe I'm simple....but why would he be holding a BB gun and watching tv?.....squirrel problem in the living room?........frankly, I think all the kids are doomed since their genes obviously came from the shallow end of the pool.....

I have no idea why he was released. He shot his son and he is a proven child abuser? Poor kid. How painful and shocking that his Dad did this.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I think some federal agent guy or something shot himself in the leg once while demonstrating safe gun handling.
    Yup, shot himself and continued with the rest of the demonstration. Then he pulled out a rifle. The room cleared with the quickness. It's on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post

I usually just tell my kids they make a better door than a window...maybe I should re-think my approach!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information