Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Octuplet mom Nadya Suleman speaks exclusively to NBC's Ann Curry

Default Octuplet mom Nadya Suleman speaks exclusively to NBC's Ann Curry

Octuplets' mom: I always wanted a huge family - Parenting & Family - MSNBC.com

MSNBC.com

Octuplets' mom: I always wanted a huge family
    Suleman says she longed for siblings during her 'dysfunctional' childhood
    By Mike Celizic
    TODAYShow.com contributor
    updated 3:36 p.m. PT, Thurs., Feb. 5, 2009

Tune in to Friday's TODAY for more of Ann Curry's interview.

“I went through about seven years of trying, through artificial insemination, through medication,” Nadya Suleman told NBC's Ann Curry. “And all of which was unsuccessful. And then the first IVF procedure from that facility — it was successful. And then I just kept going in.”

The Southern California woman who gave birth to octuplets last week told TODAY’s Ann Curry in an exclusive interview that growing up as an only child, she had always dreamed of having “a huge family.”

“How did an only child end up with 14 children?” Curry asked Nadya Suleman.

“That was always a dream of mine, to have a large family, a huge family, and I just longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that I really lacked, I believe, growing up,” she replied.

The exclusive interview will air on TODAY Monday, Feb. 9, and on “Dateline” at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10. A first look at the interview will air Friday, Feb. 6, on TODAY.

While the world celebrated the birth of fairly healthy octuplets, public sentiment has changed as it's been revealed Suleman also has six other children, ages 2 to 7, and is a single parent who conceived the octuplets through in vitro fertilization.

“Describe what you felt you lacked within,” Curry said.

“Feeling of self and identity,” Suleman, 33, replied. “I didn't feel as though, when I was a child, I had much control of my environment. I felt powerless. And that gave me a sense of predictability. Reflecting back on my childhood, I know it wasn't functional. It was pretty dysfunctional, and whose isn't?”

On Saturday, her mother, Angela Suleman, said that her daughter is obsessed with having children.

"Instead of becoming a kindergarten teacher or something, she started having them, but not the normal way," he mother said.

Angela Suleman has been caring for her daughter's other children at her home in suburban Whittier, Calif. following the birth of the octuplets, but warned that when she got home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."

The divorced single mom told Curry she tried to get pregnant for years before finally succeeding.

“I went through about seven years of trying, through artificial insemination, through medication. And all of which was unsuccessful. And then the first IVF procedure from that facility — it was successful. And then I just kept going in.”

The octuplets' birth has sparked an ethical

It still isn't clear who their father is, or who fathered Suleman's other six children, who range in age from 2 to 7.

Suleman listed a David Solomon as the father on the birth certificates for her first four children but gave a different birthday for him on each certificate and listed both Israel and California as his place of birth. He could not be located for comment.

She listed no father on the birth certificates for her fifth and sixth children, twins born in 2006.

Suleman was released from Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center in the early morning hours on Thursday, avoiding reporters and photographers, said hospital spokeswoman Nancy Tovar-Huxen. Her publicist, Mike Furtney, told the Associated Press that she was staying at "an undisclosed location" where she was confident she could avoid reporters and photographers.

Later in the day, she sat down for her interview with Curry. NBC said that the network did not pay Suleman for the interview.

Furtney said the mother was still evaluating potential offers, including possible book and TV deals, and might do other interviews later.

"There are lots of potential opportunities out there and she's looking at them carefully," he said.

Meanwhile, hospital officials said the six boys and two girls born to Suleman on Jan. 26 were in good condition Thursday. The eight babies are the longest known surviving octuplets in the world.

Furtney said Suleman is "feeling great" and looking forward to being reunited with her octuplets, who are expected to remain in the hospital for several more weeks.

"She's happy to be out of the hospital, although she misses her children," he said. "She can't wait until they join her."

Joann Killeen, Furtney’s partner, told TODAY earlier this week that her client is being deluged with offers for book deals, TV shows and other business proposals, but has not decided what she might do other than care for her children, her newly hired spokeswoman said Monday.

"She's the most sought after mom in the world right now," Killeen said. "Everyone wants to talk to her."

The country's first set of octuplets was born to Nkem Chukwu of Texas on Dec. 20, 1998. A week later, the tiniest of the infants died of heart and lung failure. The surviving seven siblings celebrated their 10th birthday in December.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

© 2009 MSNBC Interactive. Reprints
    URL: Octuplets' mom: I always wanted a huge family - Parenting & Family - MSNBC.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2009 MSNBC.com

Well,everyone who wanted to see the crazy for themselves,your wait is over.

*plays violins* Yeah, yeah, whatever. I longed to NOT have siblings during my dysfunctional childhood, so what? Lots of people have dysfunctional childhoods to one degree or another, it's not a reason to have 14 kids you can't support.

"There are lots of potential opportunities out there and she's looking at them carefully"
    Which means nobody's interested, because you KNOW this bitch would JUMP at any and all opportunities that involved money being thrown at her

Based on her story, she started trying to have kids between the ages of 17-19. Crazy bitch.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Elite Member

This story totally and utterly disgusts me. Talk about living off the system. This bitch, (the mother of the octuplets) is a con-artist. She hasn't worked for almost 10 years and still has the gall to have 14 kids? She's been living off disability. She doesn't work. In addition, she's gotten artificially inseminated how many times and keeps going back for more babies? Who do you think is paying for her and her kids' medical benefits? The tax payers of California! The more kids she has, the more benefits she qualifies for! She is the poster child of low-life parents who milk the system for all it's worth. I say don't give the pycho broad shit. Let her raise ALL those kids by herself (and on her disability check). No Section 8, no medi-cal, no W.I.C., no Head Start program for her offspring. No nothing!!! People should not get rewarded for breeding children. Enough is enough. I'm sick of people like this---and I'm especially sick of busting my ass off working hard my entire life and supporting their brats!

Celebrities who have kids. I don't care. Have a million of them because I'm not paying for them. But people like this sicken me.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Based on her story, she started trying to have kids between the ages of 17-19. Crazy bitch.
    I was just getting ready to do the math. Glad you did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    This story totally and utterly disgusts me. Talk about living off the system. This bitch, (the mother of the octuplets) is a con-artist. She hasn't worked for almost 10 years and still has the gall to have 14 kids? She's been living off disability. She doesn't work. In addition, she's gotten artificially inseminated how many times and keeps going back for more babies? Who do you think is paying for her and her kids' medical benefits? The tax payers of California! The more kids she has, the more benefits she qualifies for! She is the poster child of low-life parents who milk the system for all it's worth. I say don't give the pycho broad shit. Let her raise ALL those kids by herself (and on her disability check). No Section 8, no medi-cal, no W.I.C., no Head Start program for her offspring. No nothing!!! People should not get rewarded for breeding children. Enough is enough. I'm sick of people like this---and I'm especially sick of busting my ass off working hard my entire life and supporting their brats!

Celebrities who have kids. I don't care. Have a million of them because I'm not paying for them. But people like this sicken me.
    Right. It's not like she got a job or an education to be able to pay for the large brood she wanted to have. In that case, more power to her. How did she pay for the fertility treatments?

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I was just getting ready to do the math. Glad you did it for me.

Right. It's not like she got a job or an education to be able to pay for the large brood she wanted to have. In that case, more power to her. How did she pay for the fertility treatments?
    I read she got her college degree while having those first six kids. Now we know how it was paid for.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Ugh just ugh

And even with a backlash I think this woman is going to get away with this. I just feel sorry for her kids and I wouldnt be surprised if she tries for babies later if that clinic is in Mexico.

Look at that smug grin she has on. She's reaping the benefits by all this attention. Crazy useless bitch.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Elite Member

At this point, I think the state of California and all it's citizens should pay for this pyscho to get sterilized! With the financial crisis we're in, we have no business supporting this dimwit's 14 kids.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I think she has a mental disorder.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^^ Oh, absolutely.
    She's such a narcissistic bitch!

She reminds me of Ursula from The Little Mermaid for some reason...

Bronze Member

Has anyone else noticed the duck lips? Trying to be Angelina, in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I think she has a mental disorder.
    Gotta have a brain first!

She's beyond delusional.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information